Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The human side of the railway...

16 hours ago, Welchester said:

Splendid. May I share this please on the 'Clerical Dress' Facebook group?

At the risk of being accused of extreme pedantry, it may be noted that they are not clerics, but female religious (NB, not nuns), namely Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

By all means - I didn't know there was one!

There are some strange things on Facebook, but thank you.

1 hour ago, 2251 said:

At the risk of being accused of extreme pedantry, it may be noted that they are not clerics, but female religious (NB, not nuns), namely Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul. 

It's not a narrowly focused group; a recent topic was the use of top hats by rabbis.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Welchester said:

It's not a narrowly focused group; a recent topic was the use of top hats by rabbis.

I initially misread that as "the use of top hats by rabbits" - which of course makes perfect sense to anyone who has ever seen a magic trick, but didn't quite fit the context...

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

One from my Father in Laws Box Brownie collection that I have cleaned up a bit:

Scan003.jpg.a9f40d09c8b9674abb3fa3444733e2dd.jpg

32424 Beachy Head (the original one of course!) presumably the farewell rail tour and I am guessing Newhaven?

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Old Oak fitter Peter Blinco on top of the Factory in the '80s, photo c/o Stef Curtis...

1890277162_OLDOAKPETERBLINCOxSTEFCURTIS.jpg.a424cbbcc86e2ebc5543327d62c3d126.jpg

I remember Pete as one of the Inspectors, I had to remove all the axle box covers from an HST set so he could do the ultrasonic axle tests, which then required them all refitting afterwards. And I spent 3 months at Southall learning DMUs with Stef during the rail strikes in the 80s. Happy apprentice days.....

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

My first posting on here, I do remember Bert Miles at OOC but cant recall ever working with him ,back then(1973) lonely Three Link secondmen rarely went with Top Link Drivers. Just about remember Alec Swain and if memory serves I was interviewed by him for the job.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Consternation at St Davids, as the lunchtime trip to Exmouth is terminated with door problems, empty to depot. 7.7.2022.

Door problems were (probably still are) a top ten reason for unit/train failure. Even when the correct maintenence practices are carried out they still failed.

I recall a trip to India a few years back when the guide took us to the main railway station in Chennai (I think) and pointed out how efficient the suburban trains were. They were absolutely packed, I pointed out that one of the major causes of train failure in the UK would be solved by applying Indian Railway practice. The suburban units had no doors!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3