The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Premium

HI

Here a shot of me doing a bit of spotting at Nine Elms in spring of 1967.

Darren

In white clothes? I bet your Mum was overjoyed when you came home covered in muck!

Brilliant photo!

Is this the location also known as 'Pasminco?'...

Yes,

Commonwealth Smelting Company, Imperial Smelting Corporation, National Smelting Corporation, Britannia Zinc and Pasminco

are all names or titles I have seen or heard applied to the place. I think Rio Tinto Zinc (RTZ) may have owned it at one stage as well

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant photo!

Is this the location also known as 'Pasminco?'...

And not only that but you can just see various signals in the extreme background - various parts of which myself and some 'associates' converted into 12":1ft scale signal kit components when the signalling in the area was rationalised in 1986. We then produced some completely different looking signals from said 'kits'.

• Like 1

In white clothes? I bet your Mum was overjoyed when you came home covered in muck!

HI

Yep my mum was none too happy about my dad taking me to Nine Elms shed, told her we where going to the park!

But I am glad he did take me as it must have left a lasting memory of the Southern railway, as now I model the Southern.

I have another photo of me next to a West Country, with the driver looking out of the cab at me; don’t know how he got away with taking a baby round Nine Elms in a push chair.

Just wish I could remember it, the funny thing is when I built Torrington the Ivatt in the photo was one of the first to come down to the West Country, and the first model I brought and renumbered it to 41298, it was a year so later that my Dad found the photo’s of me standing next to it.

All the best

Darren

Edited by darren01
  • Like 1

And not only that but you can just see various signals in the extreme background - various parts of which myself and some 'associates' converted into 12":1ft scale signal kit components when the signalling in the area was rationalised in 1986. We then produced some completely different looking signals from said 'kits'.

Glad you liked the Smelting works shot, here is an earlier shot showing the signals at Hallen Marsh

post-7081-0-19773000-1349797115_thumb.jpg

One of the Hallen Marsh shunters is on the footsteps of 37255 as it draws out of the Smelting Works

it will form 7C42 to Severn Tunnel Junction, the first 3 VDAs are probably empties from Rowntrees siding at Avonmouth

returning to York, behind that are coke empties from the smelter, first a HCO coke hop then some HTVs, 5/2/81

cheers

• Like 8

Glad you liked the Smelting works shot, here is an earlier shot showing the signals at Hallen Marsh

post-7081-0-19773000-1349797115_thumb.jpg

One of the Hallen Marsh shunters is on the footsteps of 37255 as it draws out of the Smelting Works

it will form 7C42 to Severn Tunnel Junction, the first 3 VDAs are probably empties from Rowntrees siding at Avonmouth

returning to York, behind that are coke empties from the smelter, first a HCO coke hop then some HTVs, 5/2/81

cheers

Interesting stuff Rivercider. I didn't realise you also had Rowntrees vans down Brizzul way. I remember vans for Penkridge and Eastleigh came down on 6O49 Haverton Hill-Eastleigh, and went back on 6E30 Eastleigh-Tees. Did yours connect on 4V10 and 4S38 at Bescot ?

Interesting stuff Rivercider. I didn't realise you also had Rowntrees vans down Brizzul way. I remember vans for Penkridge and Eastleigh came down on 6O49 Haverton Hill-Eastleigh, and went back on 6E30 Eastleigh-Tees. Did yours connect on 4V10 and 4S38 at Bescot ?

I'm not sure of the routing, the traffic was still in vanfits in 1978 when I first remember it, when the traffic flow was airbraked

it may have been after Speedlink really got started.

Of course the three in the picture could be loaded Hallen Marsh - Bloxwich traffic, but thats a different story...

cheers

Taken at Lauterbrunnen in 2008, I don't know whether this first picture belongs here, or in the 'What makes you smile' thread? Naval service kept me away from home during my daughter's very early years, and I did not know until later how much I missed it. The joy on these faces as they 'raced' the train makes me smile each time I see the picture..

post-106-0-28045000-1349859569_thumb.jpg

Doug.

[it's a large file, and if clicked gives a lot of detail, my first year of using a tripod...]

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 8

I'm not sure of the routing, the traffic was still in vanfits in 1978 when I first remember it, when the traffic flow was airbraked

it may have been after Speedlink really got started.

Of course the three in the picture could be loaded Hallen Marsh - Bloxwich traffic, but thats a different story...

cheers

I don't think they were Rowntree's traffic, as the vans used for that traffic in air-braked days had white-painted roofs. It could have been something from Chittening- didn't NCL move out there from Pylle Hill?

If anyone should doubt the effectiveness of orange clothing, what's the first thing that jumps out of this photo, on a dull day at Retford?

I can just imagine this picture heading a new Daily Mail campaign against the dangers of reflections from high vis clothing. "Dazzled by the intense reflections the driver steers his train to the right to avoid imminent disaster..."

Nick

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Our man Griff contemplates spending too much in the bookshop at Toddington...

post-7638-0-28643600-1350311843_thumb.jpg

Your man Griff is always travelling on the cushions on our trains such a nice chap to speak to we've had many conversations putting the railways to rights !!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

About 9 months before the top photo on the attached page was taken my grandfather took me up into New St No. 2 box while we were waiting for our train to go on holiday - Birmingham to Swanage via the S&D. He phoned one of the boxes on his district to find out where there were some empty compartments on the train. Walter Prichard, the signalman in the picture, then picked me up to pull the lever for the signal into the station for our train. The first of many box visits over the next 50-odd years. I later came across Walter again when he was working at New St PSB and I had joined the S&T. http://www.photobydj...xInteriors.html

• Like 9