The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, here's the Cotswolds line (OWW) PW patrol gang on their regular walk through Campden Tunnel, plus a couple of visitors. They are walking along the Up line in the Down direction, the Up line being specially blocked to traffic for the patrol walk through the tunnel. The Down line itself is technically live, IIRC, but we have a Site Warden present, to prevent anyone straying further than the four foot of the line we are walking along. The tunnel is half a mile long and curves slightly to the right, as seen from the photographer's view point:

post-57-0-52528300-1348739483.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Tunnel-walking is an eerie experience, especially when you have been told the line is blocked - and it isn't! My search for a broken rail in Chislehurst South Tunnel in 1977 in the morning peak was not helped by a failure to agree between London Bridge and Chislehurst panels....

In the '70s, the nearly two-mile tunnel between Higham and Strood - formerly the canal route - was patrolled continuously by men who really did not see daylight for most of their shift. There was a short gap near the mid-point, which helped a bit, no doubt. I know in Winter the tunnel was perishing cold. The chalk lining of the tunnel was always dodgy, hence the precaution. I think recent years have seen major efforts to improve the lining.

In the '70s, the nearly two-mile tunnel between Higham and Strood - formerly the canal route - was patrolled continuously by men who really did not see daylight for most of their shift. There was a short gap near the mid-point, which helped a bit, no doubt. I know in Winter the tunnel was perishing cold....

Strood Tunnel was perishing cold even in the summer - long hot day in London, windows down on the EPB, into the tunnel and brrrr.

You still get that cool effect in tunnels on rail lines converted to footpaths/cycle trails, so hats off (or safety hats on) to those who have to go in there for a living.

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic thread. Thanks to everyone for the photos.

For some reason, looking at these images I was left with the thought: There is still hope for the railways. And for the world.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 5

They are walking along the Up line in the Down direction, the Up line being specially blocked to traffic for the patrol walk through the tunnel. The Down line itself is technically live, IIRC, but we have a Site Warden present, to prevent anyone straying further than the four foot of the line we are walking along.

And here is the same method of protection. I am walking on the blocked line with my back to traffic and with a site warden behind me to make sure I keep out of the 6'.

A 185 approaches on the open line.

post-6371-0-32804100-1348778674_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Rivercider

I trained Bernard about a month back on GSMR.

Pete

Which reminds me (if memory is working properly) - Capn Kernow was among those I trained on the Control Office end of Driver-To-Shore radio back in the 1980s. (using a portable set which I also found worked quite well from our house if I put it next to the french windows - and we were a mile from the railway).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

May 2001, Liverpool docks

The train has stopped clear of the points at the back, the shunter gets down to uncouple the 60 whilst the driver gets ready to follow the shunters instructions.

post-6662-0-15354900-1349082777.jpg

• Like 10

And from this June in Andermatt, they do protective clothing differently in Switzerland. I saw many of these natty Alpine hats in a combo with the orange gear. They certainly keep the sleet from going down the back of the neck.

post-6971-0-67227300-1349121098.jpg

NB the poster on the right is advertising a yodelling festival. Fortunately I wasn't there at the right time.

• Like 11

This is going back a bit, 1963 to be precise. Trainspotters of the period!

I'm on the right in my school uniform, with one of my mates at the time, John Hart, on the left. Haven't seen him in many a year, though I did hear that he was a guard on the North Norfolk Railway at one time.

Location is Cambridge, the footbridge entrance to the steam shed (31A) in Devonshire Road.

Stewart

post-2049-0-37224500-1349121885.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

My first experience on the footplate, Mid Hants Railway approximately 1982 when I was about seven!!

post-6910-0-00617300-1349128982_thumb.jpg

That is my Dad in the traditional checked shirt from Millets that I believe all dads of the 1970's were issued with as standard!

• Like 13