The human side of the railway...

About 9 months before the top photo on the attached page was taken my grandfather took me up into New St No. 2 box while we were waiting for our train to go on holiday - Birmingham to Swanage via the S&D. He phoned one of the boxes on his district to find out where there were some empty compartments on the train. Walter Prichard, the signalman in the picture, then picked me up to pull the lever for the signal into the station for our train. The first of many box visits over the next 50-odd years. I later came across Walter again when he was working at New St PSB and I had joined the S&T. http://www.photobydj...xInteriors.html

Marvellous stuff!

Those lamps in the first photograph showing your Dad and Mr Bing, they each have two chains hanging down, were they gas lights?

Thank you very much for this post

Doug

• RMweb Gold

Marvellous stuff!

Those lamps in the first photograph showing your Dad and Mr Bing, they each have two chains hanging down, were they gas lights?

Thank you very much for this post

Doug

Not my Dad, but a good friend of my Grandfather.

Yes, most of the boxes were gas lit. The pilot lights stayed on, the chains were to turn the lights on and off.

This will be interesting, a character seen lineside around the south west, some of you will instantly recognise the chap on the right, and probably post a one word answer, in capitals.

Gary

Dddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhh!

(Apologies for the use of lower case).

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

He should be in the hi-vis thread (or is he expecting a train to enter the signalbox?). Presumably hand swung crossing gates??

Until 1/2 December when the new signalling gets commissioned, then they will be non-working barriers - modular signalling ? pfff.

(But don't mention Stalybridge resignalling, I did once but got away with it)

• Like 3

Ah, now I understand about Dr. Death. I must admit that I was a bit miffed about that one and although I have not come across the chap, I have encountered one or two of his family precariously balancing in the trees complete with video cameras hereabouts. Well at least the dog has found them, and being a Springer he does seem to treat them as any other bird and wants flush them out of the foiliage.

Now, without incriminating myself, or anyone else, I shall try and explain. In the days when class 50's freely roamed the south west,they had a large following of haulage bashers. These bashers were notorious, for using “improvised validity” to been on these trains, and the man in the raincoat, took great pleasure, in bringing these people to the attention of the TTI's and BTP, so he got the name.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't remember the exact details but it was a little more comlpex than that, I think that it involved buffer locking and coupling damage, anyway the gas axe and a hand traverse with jacks were dragged across from the tool vans. I didn't see the completion either as I was away to St. Marks for the train home. I am sure though that, as with so many minor incidents at the time, the efforts to re-rail and repair could have seemed insignificant at the side of the effort to ensure that nobody else found out about it!

Big hammer and a couple of chains as well as the packing then.

• Like 1

Years ago at Aylesbury in the sixties when I worked for WHSmiths I had to go to the station every morning to sort out the newspapers ,the Northampton parcels was bein.shunted and a van split the points at the north end of the station.Everything was sorted out quickly and hushed up ,pity I didnt have a camera to record it.

• RMweb Gold

Big hammer and a couple of chains as well as the packing then.

Nah, no need for chains, just pop a fishplate in the coupling shackles ;) (Not recommended on a steepish gradient - unless you wan't to rerail it for a second time, i still can't understand why I didn't thump the Shunter who forgot to put scotches under the wheels before the Driver shut-off power as per my instructions; not a good night and I'd just got back to my lodging and to bed after that lot only to be called out again).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Isn't there a bit in Gerry Fiennes's "I Tried to Run a Railway" where Control rang him to advise him of a derailment on the GE Main Line (I think). GF asked Control to get the local manager to pull it back on - as GF had shown him on a previous ocasion. Not long afterwards the Control rang back, barely suppressing laughter, to report that said manager had done as asked - and several other roads were now blocked as a result!

• Like 8

Crikey the powers that be' would stop the job for that these days I guess - lounging casually whilst in charge of a non-powered rail/logistics interface (expect an RAIB report on the matter shortly).

p.s. who nicked the guy at the backs sarnies?- he's in a right cream puff with the rest of them.

Edited by Bob-65b
  • Like 1