The human side of the railway...

At the Watercress Line Arlesford box 2004. post-106-0-77499400-1352307366_thumb.jpg

Despite my daughter passing the correct bell code the bobby at Ropley knew something was 'different' and so telephoned back straight away to check all was well. I had read previously that they could tell who was in the next box by the way the bells were pressed, this seemed to confirm the story!

Sadly, whilst thinking she'd like to take up signalling her work committments prevented it. 'Some day, Dad...' she says still.

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 9

You can always tell when there is someone different on the other end. I turned up at one box (many years ago) and very unofficially started working it. Within minutes the phone rang and the enquiry was made.. ''Is Richard working the box?'' The signalman replied that i was. Then came '' Does he want to come round here and work this one, i've hurt my back''

• Like 5

Creature comforts, Indian style: the "trolley dolly" (actually one of three - this one for samosas, another calling out "coffee coffee coffee" and the third "chaaya chaaya chaaya"), plus the TV advert for gold jewellery every 10 mins interrupting the Bollywood blockbuster.

post-6971-0-32311900-1352316442.jpg

They came round a lot more often than on the last few British trains I've experienced (XC and EM I'm looking at you)!

Note the ceiling fan in the air-con coach.

• Like 6

So all that was needed was a bit of packing under the wheels and slowly forward!

It was the maxim in my neck of the woods, "You got it off the road, you put it back!"

Whilst the theme now seems to be embarrassing moments, here a view I took from the north end of Eastleigh station whilst waiting for the steam special to depart. That was in-conjunction with the Eastleigh 100 celebrations.

post-276-0-44352500-1352386613.jpg

Woops a daisy! :scratchhead:

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 2

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Shall I have a frozen Jubbly or a packet of Fruit Gums?

'Spotters' at New Street (Early 1970s)

nice one.....just a thought, in the late 50s/early 60s they'd have still been wearing short trousers and deffo not those stylish slip-on shoes!

Doug

Edited by Chubber

A different take on people on the railways.

Community service work on the ELR (faces blurred to protect the guilty).

CS_ELR.jpg

Whilst they were hosing and brushing down the stock and platform a young child asked its mother why they were using all that water. "It was probably a murder" was the response. Just what you want to tell your five year old.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A rather poor original alas (no flash and lots of contrast) but here we have Signalman Les Evans at Radyr Jcn 'box looking as if he's about to accept a train on the Down Main back in March 1973. A smashing chap and when he was late Turn I normally used to spend my evenings in the 'box with him with us asking each other questions on Rules and Block Regulations and him doing the booking while I did the rest. A very nice frame which was a pleasure to work; 104 lever frame with - at that time - 79 working levers.

post-6859-0-24929600-1352677162_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Does the breakdown crane (#341) have an unpowered Co-Bo arrangement or are some (or all) of those axles fixed?

they will all be fixed, its just the out rigger being extended giving that Bo-Co look to it.

The crane is a early 1960s Cowan Seddons 30 ton 4-6-0. It has a six wheeld rigid frame with a 4 wheeled bogie.

Clive

post-6859-0-24929600-1352677162_thumb.jpg

Mike, this question will adequately display my lack of experience/knowledge, but they do say 'The only silly question is one you do not ask...'

In the picture above, the lever frame is clearly not underneath the windows as is the case of the signal boxes I have had the pleasure of visiting. What proportion were built 'back-to-front' in this fashion, why, and what if any practical differences did the layout make to the operator?

[i can imagine looking 'Up', then turning round and then sensing the train disappearing the way it had arrived...but then again I get dizzy on rounabouts...]

Doug

• RMweb Gold

Mike, this question will adequately display my lack of experience/knowledge, but they do say 'The only silly question is one you do not ask...'

In the picture above, the lever frame is clearly not underneath the windows as is the case of the signal boxes I have had the pleasure of visiting. What proportion were built 'back-to-front' in this fashion, why, and what if any practical differences did the layout make to the operator?

[i can imagine looking 'Up', then turning round and then sensing the train disappearing the way it had arrived...but then again I get dizzy on rounabouts...]

Doug

Things varied between Companies with some putting the frame at the back and others at the front - the GW being one of the latter. However by the start of the BR period the normal method for all in new work was to put the frame at the back and the Western duly did so in its new designs. Radyr Junction used the Region's final standard design - known colloquially as 'plywood wonders' which were sectional timber boxes that could be erected in a few days - then set to to erect the frame, do the wiring etc.

The Radyr frame was in fact the first rear facing frame I ever worked and it was no problem getting orientated, in fact in some ways it was far easier because out on the ground everything was the same way round as the frame and 'box diagram so once you knew the frame it was very easy to walk through outside knowing exactly what was what without having to turn it round in your head so to speak. I used to have great fun on Sunday engineering work walking Rhymney Valley Reliefmen through the layout and rattling off point and signal numbers as I explained the crossing over moves - much to the enjoyment of a couple of my own Signalmen (partly because it meant they didn't have to do it but there was also a lot of leg pulling as well; and to think I used to get 15 hours pay for a nice sunny Sunday out on that lot!).

• Like 3