The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Premium

At Bedford Carriage Sidings, Neville Ankers with his 40 year long service certificate. Richard Dean can just be made out in the cab having wound the headcode to an appropriate number! Neville must have passed on so much knowledge to so many over the years, his favourite being "if you assume everybody out there is a f***witt you will never go far wrong". He also retiled my kitchen so a man of many talents!

3354a-L.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A scene that will pass into history before much longer. The signalman re-opens the gates to road traffic at Hammerton on the Leeds - Harrogate - York Line.

• Like 13

A shot previously posted here at RMweb shows tokens being exchanged at Goonbarrow July 1983 (As a result I managed to get the name of the bobby - Ian Blackburn).

post-6704-0-80775300-1347994582.jpg

Ian`s a lifetime railway modeller, enthusiast and published-author on a variety of railway-related subjects......and my modelling-buddy! :friends:

At Bedford Carriage Sidings, Neville Ankers with his 40 year long service certificate. Richard Dean can just be made out in the cab having wound the headcode to an appropriate number! Neville must have passed on so much knowledge to so many over the years, his favourite being "if you assume everybody out there is a f***witt you will never go far wrong". He also retiled my kitchen so a man of many talents!

3354a-L.jpg

Young Mr Ankers! I used to work with him in Wirral signal boxes until he and his buddy Garnett Roberts (AKA Sid Vicious!) both went down Lunnon way around the early 1980's.

Neville's surname was sometimes (often) mispronounced.......................

• Like 4

Trawling through the archives for a photograph I found this thread

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=7&t=11242

Plenty of faces, young and old, obligatory shorts and dodgy pullovers.........oh, and some steamy things!

1964 seemed to be a time when we were allowed and expected to look after ourselves a little more than today, in the 3rd photo down from the top, a nipper stands between the running lines talking up to the footplate. I enjoyed these the first time round and thought they could do with another airing.

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 1

Hello, control? I've got these nuclear thingies but there doesn't seem to be anyone in. Can I leave them next door and put a card through the gate? (Bridgwater).

post-6669-0-30444000-1352910070.jpg

Intros to dance routines on Strictly start to get silly (Ropley).

post-6669-0-47903800-1352910072.jpg

I bet Branson doesn't get his flight stewardesses to clear the runways - well does he?! (Wolverhampton).

post-6669-0-00506900-1352910075.jpg

Edited by 10800
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

That gronk looks like its been trying drifting! Good picture for weathering too, I note it is still in (very dirty) green with late crest.

Yes, all that had happened to it was the obilteration of the 'D' in front of the number (I'm not sure if would originally have had ladders at the front). One of our 350s - quite likely that one but I can't be sure - went off to works later that year for its first ever general overhaul since new, shunters could go a long time between works visits.

Incidentally one thing I didn't mention was that it is more or less balanced on its centre drivers, the Driver grabbed hold of the rear buffer nearest him just before the pic was taken and the engine tipped the other way so he let go, quickly, and it came back as you see it'a; very weird watching that.

• Like 1