Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

What are might be livery samples or test production samples of 4073 are on the Hornby website.

Looks like these have the same silver paint treatment that Lode Star did.

I must say I'm not a huge fan of the Churchward tender on the castle, i find it detracts from the powerful look of the loco and reduces the bulk, and makes it look older (and more like a Star)... but for the sake of variety and authenticity, I'll have to tollerate

Yes, I too would prefer a Collett tender. Plus, I continue to see QA issues with the Churchward tender as manufactured by 'Refined'.

It also has a 'ski-jump' fall plate like the other 'Refined' 4-6-0s I've seen. It just looks so wrong.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Looks like these have the same silver paint treatment that Lode Star did.

Yes, I too would prefer a Collett tender. Plus, I continue to see QA issues with the Churchward tender as manufactured by 'Refined'.

It also has a 'ski-jump' fall plate like the other 'Refined' 4-6-0s I've seen. It just looks so wrong.

the 'ski jump' is nothing to do with Refined. It was present on the original SK castles from 2009/10 as well. Seems to be a desing problem with interface of parts, else coninued issues with assembly from one factory to another.

What are the problems with the tender?

Edited by G-BOAF

The ski slope is cause by excess flash from the front coupling hook pushing against the chassis. Two minute quick fix. Remove the body then carve the inside of the buffer beam flush and the problem goes away.

Mike Wiltshire

The ski slope is cause by excess flash from the front coupling hook pushing against the chassis. Two minute quick fix. Remove the body then carve the inside of the buffer beam flush and the problem goes away.

Mike, We might be cross-purposes here. It sounds like you are talking about an upward curve of the front end. The 'ski jump' I'm talking about is the 45° angle of the fall plate in the cab?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Reminds me forcibly of the NRM Steam Lode Star. Whatever....it looks pretty. Make of it what you will......

Has it got too many bogie spokes then......

Some pics from rails. Seems only limited stocks have been received at present.

The mould lines on the boiler seem a little better, but not as 'invisible' as the Hornby 360-degree example, which makes me suspect either the example on the Hornby website was airbrushed, or manufacturing is still not consistant!

https://railsofsheffield.com/image-handler/full-size.ashx?image=IMG_3346mar15.jpg

https://railsofsheffield.com/image-handler/full-size.ashx?image=IMG_3348mar15.jpg

https://railsofsheffield.com/image-handler/full-size.ashx?image=IMG_3347mar15.jpg

Pity Rails could not photograph a good example - missing pipework down RH runing plate, and mislocated LH cab handrail... :banghead:

This aside, looks a smart model.

Pity Rails could not photograph a good example - missing pipework down RH runing plate, and mislocated LH cab handrail... :banghead:

This aside, looks a smart model.

Hello.

By 'missing pipework', do you mean the ATC conduit? If so, this was first fitted to the 1934 batch (starting with 5023); earlier locomotives (and all 'Star' rebuilds) were not so fitted, and nor was it ever retro-fitted.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Pity Rails could not photograph a good example - ... mislocated LH cab handrail... :banghead:

The handrail placement and fall plate angle are on-going quality problems with recent Hornby GWR 4-6-0s. My Lode Star has a (right-hand side) tender handrail that is similarly misplaced. It is visibly jarring. It is fixable, but not without cutting - gently teasing the handrail into place didn't work.

It is disappointing to see this continue.

I presume that this model will be manufactured by "Refined" (REF-01 code).

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Hello.

By 'missing pipework', do you mean the ATC conduit? If so, this was first fitted to the 1934 batch (starting with 5023); earlier locomotives (and all 'Star' rebuilds) were not so fitted, and nor was it ever retro-fitted.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Thank you. That explains it. Good attention to detail, just a shame the indentations for the conduit mounting are there, makes it very noticable. Where was the ATC cabling on these locos, assuming they were so fitted?

Edited by G-BOAF

I just wish we could have a bulk standard, single chimney, Collett tender, BR green version

Wasn't Beverston Castle in that configuration? But I take your point. Stipulating this is an NRM model of Caerphilly Castle, would *anyone* otherwise choose the Churchward tender for this model?

I dredged up an old list I made long ago in this thread and updated it.

List from here:

The following list is single chimney unless specified:

GWR:

Tintagel Castle ....... Great <arms> Western ..... Collett tender

Caerphilly Castle .... Great <arms> Western ..... Churchward tender

Wellington .............. G <arms> W ..................... Hawksworth tender

BR:

Earl Cairns ......................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender

Beverston Castle ............... Early crest ... Collett tender

Ince Castle ......................... Late crest .... Collett tender .............. double chimney

Kidwelly Castle ................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender .................................... sound

Swindon ............................. Late crest .... Collett 4000g tender .................................. STEAM Museum special

Great Western ................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender

Clun Castle ........................ Late crest .... Collett tender ...............double chimney ..... sound

Taunton Castle .................. Early crest ... Hawksworth tender ..................................... weathered

Taunton Castle .................. Early crest ... Collett tender ............................................. "Date with the Duchy" set

Penrice Castle ................... Late crest .... Collett tender .............. double chimney

Earl of Mount Edgcumbe ... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender .... double chimney

Did I miss any?

EDIT: fixed tender reference on Swindon. - Thank you Andrew. (Apparently when I googled an image of "Swindon" I was looking at "Great Western" and didn't notice.)

EDIT: added tender reference on Taunton from Date with the Duchy set.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for looking it up Oz. I think your research does show that Hornby have not yet produced a single chimney, late BR Collett tender version. Am I wrong in thinking this would actually be the most popular version? It would need to be a better green than they have in the Hall which still looks too waxy for me.

Wasn't Beverston Castle in that configuration? But I take your point. Stipulating this is an NRM model of Caerphilly Castle, would *anyone* otherwise choose the Churchward tender for this model?

There is a demand, though no doubt too small, for an early 3,500 gallon tender, no fire iron tunnel, fitted Castle. 5011 was still running with a small tender in the early 1930's. A good friend wanted several in this format for his late 1920's early 1930's based layout and I swopped the small tenders from my Hornby Stars with his 5011 4,000 gallon types. Looked great but dead short from the controller. I hadn't noticed the polarity on the Stars was reversed compared to the castle. A quick change of wiring in the tender soon fixed.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

• RMweb Premium

BR:

Swindon ............................. Late crest .... Hawksworth tender .................................... STEAM Museum special

Thanks for looking it up Oz. I think your research does show that Hornby have not yet produced a single chimney, late BR Collett tender version. Am I wrong in thinking this would actually be the most popular version? It would need to be a better green than they have in the Hall which still looks too waxy for me.

The STEAM limited edition 7037 'Swindon' with late crest had the Collett 4000g tender not the Hawksworth one. So Hornby has produced that version. But it's the version many people want and there's still been no standard release in that form; instead Hornby produces more and more late crest with double chimney.

Edited by brushman47544

Seen a 4073 in the fresh. Very pretty, with lamp irons picked out in silver and axle boxes picked out in yellow. Bright metal sprung buffers, excellent paint finish. Not much more expensive than the 72XX that I also saw and felt was light footed in comparison and no where near as refined (although still a good model).

Shame I don,t do Great Western (what am I saying?)

Thank you. That explains it. Good attention to detail, just a shame the indentations for the conduit mounting are there, makes it very noticable. Where was the ATC cabling on these locos, assuming they were so fitted?

Hi G-BOAF,

The early Castles such as Nos. 4073 and 4079 had their ATC gear under the cab hence there was no need for the conduit on the running plate.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Hello again, G-BOAF, everyone.

4073s prior to 5023, and the 'Star' rebuilds, had the ATC conduit running along the top of the running plate just in front of the splasher faces, until it reached the front of the middle splasher where it turned ninety degrees to dive into the frame area. This was once the location of the ATC shoe had been standardised: it was moved from under the cab rear due to instances of lack of contact, or intermittent contact, with the ATC ramp if the locomotive developed a pitching motion due to even slightly uneven track.

I hope the attached images explain the routing:

post-7462-0-92666600-1428087386.jpg

post-7462-0-73098000-1428087436_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 5

OK, so the conduit should not be there, but neither should the lugs for the conduit component. According to the Rails picture, the running plate lining is interupted by these lugs.

Looking at Tintangle castle, Hornby HAVE tooled up a running plate slide without these lugs.

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R2848_20152_Qty1_3.jpg

Refined seem to have used the wrong one for Caerphilly...

https://railsofsheffield.com/image-handler/full-size.ashx?image=IMG_3347mar15.jpg

I'm now rethinking my intention to purchase this model :-(

What a pitty, Hornby have really well researched the Castle and delivered so many detail variations, yet either their specification team or their their contractors are unable or unwilling to pay similar attention to detail...

Edited by G-BOAF

Hi Ozexp

Not sure about Taunton Castle .

BR:
Earl Cairns ......................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender
Beverston Castle ............... Early crest ... Collett tender
Ince Castle ......................... Late crest .... Collett tender .............. double chimney
Kidwelly Castle ................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender .................................... sound
Swindon ............................. Late crest .... Collett 4000g tender .................................. STEAM Museum special
Great Western ................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender
Clun Castle ........................ Late crest .... Collett tender ...............double chimney ..... sound
Taunton Castle .................. Early crest ... Hawksworth tender ..................................... weathered
Penrice Castle ................... Late crest .... Collett tender .............. double chimney
Earl of Mount Edgcumbe ... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender .... double chimney

Did I miss any?

EDIT: fixed tender reference on Swindon. - Thank you Andrew. (Apparently when I googled an image of "Swindon" I was looking at "Great Western" and didn't notice.)

My version from 'The Date with the Duchy' is pristine, Early Emblem, and Collett tender.

14398053463_e80c29e5d4_c.jpg

• Like 1