Creedyford

treggyman

looking good,

Regarding the sides, why not laminate two or three thickness’s of 4mm ply. glued and screwed, this would provide plenty of strength/rigidity?

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion.....Hadn't thought of that.....

Two layers would probably be enough as that would be approx 8mm.....& I normally only use 9mm

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Just a quick update

Many moons ago I built a traverser for my then current layout......

It was the first one I ever did any scenic 's on & it didn't get finished....

The boards minus useful bits live on a high shelf in a shed.....

Any way....This evening I rescued the traverser from its resting place & took it upstairs to the railway room.....

A couple of pics of the basic 'thing'

post-7844-0-50101400-1352923181_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-57735300-1352923202_thumb.jpg

A few pics of it in rough position......

post-7844-0-75010400-1352923428_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-37880700-1352923448_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-96868800-1352923472_thumb.jpg

I am thinking about using it until I get round to building the proper one so I can run trains.....

As time might be tight it may even be used for it's first outing.....We'll see....

It is a couple of inches short & a tad wider than I had planned....But....

It's 600mm wide over all....has 11 storage tracks each 50" long....Was built very solidly but isn't too heavy....It slides on aluminium angles but they do need occasional lubricating.....It may be adaptable to make the storage tracks longer,but will hold long enough trains for the moment.

Any way....Next job is to get the sides on the curved baseboards & lay the track ,join the baseboards to the main boards........

Anyway ,that's all for the moment

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

Hi All

Just a very quick note........

A combination of Mr Ebay & Royal Mail delivered a parcel today.............

A very valued artefact...........

Not Railway related even..............

When we lived in Crediton we had a dog........Jumble........A Collie Cross.......

Across the road from our house was a park which is where we used to take her for exercise..........

Here we met Mr W J Rich who had a fleet of lorries based in the town........

He retired in ,I think 1979, but when I saw a lorry in his livery I thought.... Got to have it......

Not quite the right era ,slightly early ,but so what....

post-7844-0-29801600-1353098278_thumb.jpg

Well it looks nice & with a bit of weathering should suit.....

cheers Bill

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just a quick update.

Been busy over the weekend with domestic projects,but had time to almost finish the curved end boards......

Just got the board connections (dowels into corresponding holes) & some means of locking them together....

Below are a couple of views of the whole boards....one right way up the other upside down....

post-7844-0-65672600-1354049079_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-90904500-1354049094_thumb.jpg

& one of the ends as they are at the moment....

post-7844-0-71481800-1354049107_thumb.jpg

Not my best carpentry , but the sides seem to prevent the boards twisting & the upstands will hopefully catch any derailments.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Not had much time to spend on the layout recently ,but had an hour or so here & there & a bit of time today....

So an update....

Finally got the track down on the curved ends & everything wired up & working......

One little job to do is to reverse thepolarity of the power feed to the controller as at the moment everything goes in the opposite direction to how it should......An easy job that won't take long.

I'd forgotten how nice it is to sit & watch trains go round & round.....Not very good for getting jobs done though!!!!!

post-7844-0-66517700-1355689779_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-13550200-1355689797_thumb.jpg

A couple of pics of the track on the curved section.....

At the Barnstaple end I have put a curved peco point to rejoin the track out of sight so trains can run round & round whether they're on the Barnstaple or Meldon track.

Acouple of pictures of the traverser gradually filling up with stock.......

post-7844-0-06642700-1355690037_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-87683600-1355690057_thumb.jpg

I shall in time build a new one.......This one works OK but will only take a loco & 3 coaches,& a loco & 7 Seacows ,whereas I would like to have 4 & 5 coach trains..... & longer stone trains.....

The gap between the two ends of the curved end baseboards is about 6 ft so I should manage this...

At least it means I can now run trains & have been able to test the track......

Next is buildings & scenery......

the last two pictures show my latest purchase....A Bagpipe '33......

Came from the wonderful world of Ebay.......From a collector I assume.......'cos it didn't work......

When power was applied it was like I'd used AC rather than DC......just juddered.......

After much fiddling about ,including removing the DCC ready bits so I could wire power direct to the motor I discovered the front bogie had been wired up opposite to the back one polarity wise.....Rewired & Hey Presto.....Now runs sweet as a nut......I was going to repaint it into Rail Blue, but it looks nice as it is so it may stay in Dutch livery.

post-7844-0-01117700-1355690485_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-49085000-1355690506_thumb.jpg

I also had a problem with the 108 I bought......Very poor pick ups.....Added new ones & works much better.......All time consuming & frustrating.

Anyway,I've got a reasonable break over Christmas so hope to get quite a lot done....

Cheers Bill

• Like 7

Lovely signal box there my Friend

Hi muddy-blues

It certainly is a superb bit of modelling,but sadly it isn't mine.....

It was made by Eggesford box .....

I only wish it were mine, or that I could model to such a high standard

Cheers Bill

Hi Class''66'' ,blueeighties & ess1uk

Thanks for the comments.....

Progress is slow at the moment as I keep getting sidetracked.....

Yesterday was typical.....

Yesterday I turned the layout around so I would be able to work on the scenic boards.....

Had a bit of a running session....Found that the '31 kept shorting out just after it had left the traverser...A slight dip in the track was causing the front bogie wheels to short out on the metal chassis...

No problem...Levelled the track sorted the problem but thought I'd investigate so took the loco apart...Decided not much I could do as the chassis front was solid,so tried to put loco back together only to find that the buffer beam seemed to have 'dropped' & a large gap had appeared between the buffer beam cowling & the body side & no amount of pushing would get the gap to close.....

Took it apart again....A gentle bend of the chassis....& it snapped clean off....

post-7844-0-47045400-1356300978_thumb.jpg

I managed to glue it back together only to find the other end had also by now broken off without me even trying to reshape it....

The only answer was to break off the other end.trim the chassis back.glue the ends into the body of the loco....

post-7844-0-54611100-1356301192_thumb.jpg

& after a bit more hacking refit the rest of the chassis.....It now works but took ages to sort.

However ,for my birthday today I got a trio of Hornby OTA's,albeit in EWS livery....(Bargains from a certain Liverpudlian retailer). Have been hacking them about fitting my design of autocoupler....not quite finished yet but plonked them on the layout for a quick photo along with the unfinished Cambrian kit I'm building......They are nice models ,but will need to be resprayed.....The only thing is I'm not sure if the stanchions are correct for the era....The pictures I took show box section & these are a T section.....Well they'll do for now....

post-7844-0-69080700-1356301894_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-99110700-1356301913_thumb.jpg

Son & grandson came over this afternoon so we had a running session which threw up one or two faults which will need resolving but nothing major thankfully.

Well that's all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 5

Hi Bill,

apparently a common fault with earlier batches of 31 owing to substandard materials, mention of which has come up in the forum. Lurking away in the garage is a 31 of mine which I must seek out to see if it to has the same problem.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year.

David.

Hi Bill,

apparently a common fault with earlier batches of 31 owing to substandard materials, mention of which has come up in the forum. Lurking away in the garage is a 31 of mine which I must seek out to see if it to has the same problem.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year.

David.

Hi David

Thanks for the best wishes....The same to you & yours for Christmas & the New Year.

As regards the faulty materials (the Heljan Class '47s had a similar problem) it was down to faulty Mazak which I think oxidised & expanded causing expansion, warping & twisting.The breaks I have are both along a mould line on the chassis where from memory there was a step in the block.....Any way,problem now solved hopefully

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill,

Good to see that you are making progress.

Yes, the Mazak is the problem with the chassis, but there is a design fault as well (in my opinion) - there are fixing holes at the narrowest part of the metal. Any flaw in the material will cause the chasiss to break here. anyway, this has been done to death elsewhere (as David has mentioned). I do like you solution though!

Have a good Christmas