Haymarket 64B

landscapes

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

I am finally beginning to make some good progress now on Haymarket64B.

The first four baseboards are now fully constructed and my next task is to build the support framework to each modular baseboard to get them off the carpet so I can commence track laying, the idea of soldering drop wires to each section of track seems like brain surgery to me having never held a soldering iron in my life.

The first three hand built turnout points were collected on Friday from Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks", I cannot underestimate how helpful Norman has been in getting the baseboards to this stage, without his help and guidance I would have made many time consuming and costly mistakes.

I enclose three photos taken yesterday to give an idea of what is to come in the future, there is still lots of work to do just to get these four boards up and running.

The first photo also shows the three new points, two by the turntable plus one up by the coaling stage, only another twenty six points to be made.

I could not resist positioning one of my A4's on the turntable just to finally show a locomotive on the layout.

Also looking at the details to build up the shed floor level with the track top.

Anyway three new photos enclosed I hope they are on interest.

Regards

David

That last photo really shows what this is going to look like David. Something special.

That last photo really shows what this is going to look like David. Something special.

Thank You Gilbert

High Praise indeed, it's your layout Peterborough North along with other layouts such Tony's Little Bytham and Eric's Longdrem & Pinkhill that have given me the inspiration and determination to get this layout up and running.

Just relaying Norman's Templot track layout sheets back to the baseboards as I write this reply.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

David,

These photos fairly show the progress being made with everything coming together "just right".

Keep going on at this pace!  - great work.

Eric

Hi Eric

Many thanks for your kind works of encouragement,

This morning I have started to layout the Templot Track plan sheets that Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks" produced for me and was pleasantly surprised to see the track work outside the main running shed East elevation finally coming together.

Photo enclosed below, as I regular visitor to Haymarket in steam days I am sure you will be very familiar with this track layout outside the famous and well photographed East Elevation of the main running shed and it's many turnout points.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-89008600-1468327831_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi David,

Nice to see that overall shot showing the depot layout. It is really starting to come together now. You must be very pleased when you see it laid out like that.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the kind comments, yes I am pleased with the layout so far, it has been a long time coming

What you can see in the last photo is the first four baseboards, in the foreground there are two more baseboards planned beyond the general offices and in the background there will be three more baseboards beyond the coaling tower giving an overall length of 18,-0".

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon

I am still busy scratch building many of the smaller out-buildings scattered around Haymarket 64B, my main problem is working from old photos and trying to get an overall view of the MPD and positioning all the buildings in their correct locations.

My latest two offerings are a small ramshackled timber shed and the adjacent bike shed both were located on the North side of the MPD, they can both often be seen in the background of photos taken of locomotives posed on the turntable if the yard behind outside of the shed's East elevation is clear of other locomotives.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-36554700-1469190607_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi David,

Nice to see that overall shot showing the depot layout. It is really starting to come together now. You must be very pleased when you see it laid out like that.

Cheers

Dave

Agree with Dave - you get a real feeling of the size (and the "task" that lies ahead) enough to keep you occupied.

Nice curves ^_^

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning All

More progress on Haymarket 64B,

New photos enclosed showing external and internal inspection pits, the internal pits are only half of the shed size, I still have eight more to complete for the rear half of the steam shed on another baseboard.

Also two more additional out building completed, first photo is of the fitters offices shown where it will be positioned between the East elevation of the shed and the turntable.

I have also completed an old concreat Air Raid Shelter that was positioned in the East shed yard, only seven more building to make.

Once the last inspection pits are completed it will be time to lift the whole layout up on a timber framework for better and easier access for track laying.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-23673400-1470220368_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-75256300-1470220431_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-88868500-1470220452_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 9

Good Evening All

I am not sure if I am allowed to do this or if I am breaking any copyright laws?

I am sure Andy will let me know if I am and remove it, I found this video just by accident as I was looking on the internet for any information I can find regarding Haymarket 64B MPD.

Anyway I hope you enjoy a look at Haymarket in 1963 just before it closed to steam just click on the link below.

Not sure what the MPD is for the first few minutes  after the last shot of A4 60009 it's all Haymarket from then on.

Regards

David

Watch A4s at Haymarket online - BFI Player

Thanks for posting - a good watch.

Good Evening All

I am not sure if I am allowed to do this or if I am breaking any copyright laws?

I am sure Andy will let me know if I am and remove it, I found this video just by accident as I was looking on the internet for any information I can find regarding Haymarket 64B MPD.

Anyway I hope you enjoy a look at Haymarket in 1963 just before it closed to steam just click on the link below.

Not sure what the MPD is for the first few minutes  after the last shot of A4 60009 it's all Haymarket from then on.

Regards

David

Watch A4s at Haymarket online - BFI Player

Good Evening all

All the inspection pits are now completed with the exception of weathering which will all come later in the project.

I enclose photos of part of the main layout showing the inspection pits with and without the main shed building in position.

I also enclose a low level photo looking into the main shed building it's self.

All base board support framework is now on order so it's now back to making more buildings.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-48535200-1470942715_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-97556700-1470942735_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-77912100-1470942758_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

More progress on Haymarket 64B today, I have finished what I believe to be the Loco Drivers and Shed Forman's Offices, which were located on the North side of the MPD perimeter which will be positioned just along from the recently completed Bike Shed.

I am quite pleased to get this particular building completed as it was quite complex in it's design and construction and also it's the last of the complicated buildings to be completed.

I still have six more buildings to construct but all of these in comparison to the building's already done they should be quite straight formward and much easier to build.

I enclose some photos to show the progress, plus one photo of a new arrival to the Haymarket fleet, it's Bachmanns latest V3 Class.

From what can see it has a new improved chassis, and runs very quietly at all speeds but there does not seem to be much improvement on the loco body.

This was Bachmann 31-614 No 67646 which I have re-numbered to 67610 which was a Haymarket based V3, I have also weathered it and added more detail such as new three Link Screw Couplings, real coal,lamps and also replace some of the poorer detail parts that come with the loco.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-27188100-1472838374_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-59182100-1472838394_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-01533000-1472838411_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-41885800-1472838670_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 12

• 1 month later...

Good Evening All

It has been a while since my last post, and railway modelling has had to take a bit of a back seat as in the last few months we have had a new Granddaughter arrive so grand parental help was required, my mother at 87 was rushed into hospital having had a heart attack and developed pneumonia at the same time, plus we had a holiday booked in the good old USA which could not be cancelled..

Things have slowly got back to normal with Mum making a good steady recovery as well.

But I have managed to find the time to complete all four baseboard stands, I also purchased a soldering iron and am now looking at track laying and wiring, its nice to get the layout off the floor and at a more workable height.

Some new photos enclosed.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-59497600-1477084653_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-52814400-1477084685_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-11105500-1477084767_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-83287400-1477084786_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Good Evening All

It has been a while since my last post, and railway modelling has had to take a bit of a back seat as in the last few months we have had a new Granddaughter arrive so grand parental help was required, my mother at 87 was rushed into hospital having had a heart attack and developed pneumonia at the same time, plus we had a holiday booked in the good old USA which could not be cancelled..

Things have slowly got back to normal with Mum making a good steady recovery as well.

But I have managed to find the time to complete all four baseboard stands, I also purchased a soldering iron and am now looking at track laying and wiring, its nice to get the layout off the floor and at a more workable height.

Some new photos enclosed.

Regards

David

Superb David, just superb.

Hi All

Many thanks for the kind comments above, this is a long term retirement project for me as I am trying to do as much of the work as possible myself.

I have made my other half a promise to redecorate the room which now houses the first part of my Haymarket 64B Layout so I am very keen to get this done ASAP then it's onto wiring and track laying as this layout will be fully Digital.

Also this will give me an opportunity to use paint colours sympathetic to Model Railway Photography and to improve the lighting as well.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hi

I went over to see Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks" this morning and spent a very enjoyable and educating hour and a half with him going through how to solder and wire up hand built fine scale track work. 

I must admit seeing Norman at work and his expertise in building track work and layouts I always come back home wondering how the hell I am going to finish the next task, but some how I seem to find a way with his help obviously.

Although no where near finished I could not resist posing a few locomotives on the layout as it is so far just to get an idea on photographing the layout for the future.

Photo enclosed showing Haymarket regular A3 Class No 60097 Humorist on the turntable with a J72 passing by.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-43202100-1477585384_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Good Evening All

Nothing really new to show since my last update couple of months ago, there is still plenty going on in the background though with new point-work being commissioned for early 2017.

This project has taken a long time and there is still a mass of work still to be done on all aspects of railway modelling.

it's not so easy when you are doing every bit of the work on your own apart from the point work which I decided was well beyond my capabilities so thank God for Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks" for his help in that part of the work.

Also I am hoping there will be two new additions to the Haymarket 64B locomotive stock early next year in the shape of two Bachmann Thompson A2/3 conversions using Graeme King's resin and metal etches.

All that remains is to wish everyone associated with RM Web and to all fellow members a very Merry Christmas and a Happy 2017.

I enclose a new photo which I hope will give a small taste of things to come in the future.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-95873600-1482173443_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hi

A new arrival for Haymarket 64B, Hornby A4 60009 Union of South Africa a long term resident of Haymarket in steam days.

I always had to include this locomotive on the layout but as the Hornby limited version Ref R2909 is no longer available unless you want to pay ridiculous money for one when occasionally comes up on Ebay.

So I purchased Hornby R2340 Golden Plover on Ebay for £92.00 plus P/P this was advertised as unused as the owner had displayed it in a glass cabinet from new so it was in mint condition, looking at the current prices for a China made Hornby A4 I thought this was a bit of a bargain.

It had the correct A4 corridor tender for the period I am modelling.

I changed the identity using the Fox Transfers package for 60009, plus Fox Transfers for the cab side numbers and added real coal, new LMS laser cut lamps and a couple of coats of Johnson's Klear.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-52835600-1490123472_thumb.jpg

• Like 3