Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi

I went over to see Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks" this morning and spent a very enjoyable and educating hour and a half with him going through how to solder and wire up hand built fine scale track work. 

I must admit seeing Norman at work and his expertise in building track work and layouts I always come back home wondering how the hell I am going to finish the next task, but some how I seem to find a way with his help obviously.

Although no where near finished I could not resist posing a few locomotives on the layout as it is so far just to get an idea on photographing the layout for the future.

Photo enclosed showing Haymarket regular A3 Class No 60097 Humorist on the turntable with a J72 passing by.

Regards

David

Excellent shot of 60097!

David,

Which incarnation of Klear are you using? Is it still the old stuff or the new version which I believe is Pledge Multi Surface Wax?

The results look excellent regardless.

Hi Bon Accord

Thank you, I am still using the old original version of Klear.

I was furtunate that my Mother had about one third of a bottle of the original Klear after the formula was changed which she let me have that was about four years ago and I still Have about half of it left.

A point of interest I purchased a bottle of the replacement formula which is not clear but a milky light brownish colour but I have found when applied it is identical to the original.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• 1 month later...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361983560378?ul_noapp=true

Might be of interest, as perhaps one of the less photographed corners of Haymarket?

Hi 26power

Many thanks for posting the link, sorry I have not replied to you earlier as my thread was so far down the Layout Topics pages about page 20 I think and I just missed your reply.

Great photo even if it is of a diesel shunter and as you say taken in a part of the shed that doesn't get photographed very often, it will be very useful, thanks again.

I have been adding to the Haymarket locomotive stud and enclose a few photos of the latest arrivals all were taken on a photo plank in lovely sunshine and not on the layout itself.

One photo shows two Hornby J83 locomotives I purchased about five years ago and before anyone comments yes the Hornby J83 is a bloody awful model, but I had two of them and they were an integral part of the day to day shunting duties at Haymarket plus also at Waverley Station and St Margret's Shed 64A as well.

I have added additional detail to both locomotives to try to improve their appearance, I know Gem produce a stunning J83 in kit form but the total cost for two fully complete locomotives would be well over £600.00.  

I also enclose another photo of Hornby A4 60009 Union of South Africa which started out as A4 60031 Golden Plover as steal on Ebay a few months ago which I converted using Fox transfers and their etched nameplates as well.

60009 has been nicely weathered by Gareth of "Replica Railways" in Swindon who carries out locomotive weathering from time to time to a very high standard I must say.

I am quite pleased with the way the photo has come out but it does not do justice to Gareth's weathering skills, I wanted the locomotive and tender frames, wheels and motion all weathered with just a light dusting across the top of the streamlined boiler this is how Haymarket kept its A4's shining from end to end.

I am also just about ready for the next four turnout points to be built by Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks"as well.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-10189400-1495559922_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-93477700-1495559992_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 10

Hi 26power

Many thanks for posting the link, sorry I have not replied to you earlier as my thread was so far down the Layout Topics pages about page 20 I think and I just missed your reply.

Great photo even if it is of a diesel shunter and as you say taken in a part of the shed that doesn't get photographed very often, it will be very useful, thanks again.

I have been adding to the Haymarket locomotive stud and enclose a few photos of the latest arrivals all were taken on a photo plank in lovely sunshine and not on the layout itself.

One photo shows two Hornby J83 locomotives I purchased about five years ago and before anyone comments yes the Hornby J83 is a bloody awful model, but I had two of them and they were an integral part of the day to day shunting duties at Haymarket plus also at Waverley Station and St Margret's Shed 64A as well.

I have added additional detail to both locomotives to try to improve their appearance, I know Gem produce a stunning J83 in kit form but the total cost for two fully complete locomotives would be well over £600.00.

I also enclose another photo of Hornby A4 60009 Union of South Africa which started out as A4 60031 Golden Plover as steal on Ebay a few months ago which I converted using Fox transfers and their etched nameplates as well.

60009 has been nicely weathered by Gareth of "Replica Railways" in Swindon who carries out locomotive weathering from time to time to a very high standard I must say.

I am quite pleased with the way the photo has come out but it does not do justice to Gareth's weathering skills, I wanted the locomotive and tender frames, wheels and motion all weathered with just a light dusting across the top of the streamlined boiler this is how Haymarket kept its A4's shining from end to end.

I am also just about ready for the next four turnout points to be built by Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks"as well.

Regards

David

Any photos of the a2/3s Edited by davidw

Any photos of the a2/3s

Hi David

Sorry not yet , this has been a long term joint project with another party five models are all being made at the same time.

They will be ready for collection mid June then they will need Linings and Namsplates etc.

Will post photos as soon as possible.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Any use? - https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7885539786/in/photolist-dnDdQf-d1Psfw-cNUYiY/lightbox/

If you'd like, I could try to lighten the front of the shed facing the camera, though it would wash out almost everything else.

Hi Dave,

First thing I must say so far everything is looking amazing!

The J83's you have there look like the Hornby ones, have you modified them at all? If so I would love to know what you did, Have you considered these ones? http://52fmodels.sharepoint.com/Pages/J83.aspx

I'm not sure if were interested in a more accurate model as I know the Hornby ones aren't the most accurate. Gem loco's also do a J83 in white metal I believe, but it's difficult to obtain.

Jules

Hi Dave,

First thing I must say so far everything is looking amazing!

The J83's you have there look like the Hornby ones, have you modified them at all? If so I would love to know what you did, Have you considered these ones? http://52fmodels.sharepoint.com/Pages/J83.aspx

I'm not sure if were interested in a more accurate model as I know the Hornby ones aren't the most accurate. Gem loco's also do a J83 in white metal I believe, but it's difficult to obtain.

Jules

Hi Jules

Thank you for your kind and positive comments, both the Gem and J52 Model J83 Kits are stunning especially compered to the Hornby one and thank you for the link as well.

The situation is there are so many other items to pay for over the next few years to get the whole project up and running so two kit built J83's are a luxury I cannot afford at the present time and who knows Hornby may one day in the future re-tool there present J83 and improve it.

Regarding improvements I carried out to both models, they are as follows,

Both renumbered as 68481 which was a Haymarket locomotive and 68472 which was a St Margarets based loco which probably visited Haymarket from time to time.

New 3 link Screw Couplings were fitted to 68481 and new Three Link Couplings to 68472 as per reference photos.

Both had the correct totems applied to the side tanks again using photos as a reference and using "Replica Railways" Totem Decals.

Both had real Coal added to the bunkers

Both were fitted with the timber foot boards below the cab entrance, for these I used the long wood stirrers from the coffee shops cut down to size and painted, glued and fixed using brass wire for the support brackets.

Both had the correct etched smokebox number plates from Fox Transfers fitted, plus etched brass shed plates and works plates.

Both were weathered using photos I have and dry brushed using Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal 27004 around the boiler tops and other parts that get very hot.

A detail you cannot see from the photo was I cut out a cover strip to go over the circular porthole windows as the ones on the Hornby model bear no resemblance to the real locomotive, they are not even a circle.

And finally fire irons were added just to give a bit more interest to the models.

I am now working on my next building, which is a small hut located next to the point-work which takes the locomotives from the shed lines onto the main running lines, I am nut sure what is was used for and I do not have many photos of it so a bit of artistic licence will be required.

From what photos I have the building looks to be of a concrete plank construction so I have ordered Will's Scenic Concrete Rendering sheets and the appropriate windows requied from York Model Making Ltd.

I enclose a photo showing the building in question, you can see part of it next to the front of the J36, its not easy to construct the building with very limited photos.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-75378400-1495617670_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Any use? - https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7885539786/in/photolist-dnDdQf-d1Psfw-cNUYiY/lightbox/

If you'd like, I could try to lighten the front of the shed facing the camera, though it would wash out almost everything else.

Hi pH

Again thanks for the link to the photo, this view I have seen before as there is a nice photo of A4 60012 in the same location in Harry Knox's Book "Steam Days at Haymarket" page No 60.

But thank you again for taking the time and interest to post the link.

Regards

David

The building in your picture looks like it is a variation on the standard LNER platelayers hut.

There used to be a whitemetal kit of these - i thought Roxey Mouldings, but not on their website.  A made up one here: http://www.clag.org.uk/green06.html  Found on Roxey website: http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/494/4b6-lner-platelayers-hut/

Found this, no idea if any good, but looks okay: https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/shop/laser-cut-lner-sectional-concrete-hut-pack-of-2-oo4mm176/

Or this on here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/49849-lner-type-d-concrete-platelayer-hut/

Somewhere i have a drawing for these from Model Railways (?) magazine.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jules

Thank you for your kind and positive comments, both the Gem and J52 Model J83 Kits are stunning especially compered to the Hornby one and thank you for the link as well.

The situation is there are so many other items to pay for over the next few years to get the whole project up and running so two kit built J83's are a luxury I cannot afford at the present time and who knows Hornby may one day in the future re-tool there present J83 and improve it.

Both renumbered as 68481 which was a Haymarket locomotive and 68472 which was a St Margarets based loco which probably visited Haymarket from time to time.

New 3 link Screw Couplings were fitted to 68481 and new Three Link Couplings to 68472 as per reference photos.

Both had the correct totems applied to the side tanks again using photos as a reference and using "Replica Railways" Totem Decals.

Both were fitted with the timber foot boards below the cab entrance, for these I used the long wood stirrers from the coffee shops cut down to size and painted, glued and fixed using brass wire for the support brackets.

Both had the correct etched smokebox number plates from Fox Transfers fitted, plus etched brass shed plates and works plates.

Both were weathered using photos I have and dry brushed using Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal 27004 around the boiler tops and other parts that get very hot.

A detail you cannot see from the photo was I cut out a cover strip to go over the circular porthole windows as the ones on the Hornby model bear no resemblance to the real locomotive, they are not even a circle.

And finally fire irons were added just to give a bit more interest to the models.

I am now working on my next building, which is a small hut located next to the point-work which takes the locomotives from the shed lines onto the main running lines, I am nut sure what is was used for and I do not have many photos of it so a bit of artistic licence will be required.

From what photos I have the building looks to be of a concrete plank construction so I have ordered Will's Scenic Concrete Rendering sheets and the appropriate windows requied from York Model Making Ltd.

I enclose a photo showing the building in question, you can see part of it next to the front of the J36, its not easy to construct the building with very limited photos.

Regards

David

The building in your picture looks like it is a variation on the standard LNER platelayers hut.

There used to be a whitemetal kit of these - i thought Roxey Mouldings, but not on their website.  A made up one here: http://www.clag.org.uk/green06.html  Found on Roxey website: http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/494/4b6-lner-platelayers-hut/

Found this, no idea if any good, but looks okay: https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/shop/laser-cut-lner-sectional-concrete-hut-pack-of-2-oo4mm176/

Or this on here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/49849-lner-type-d-concrete-platelayer-hut/

Somewhere i have a drawing for these from Model Railways (?) magazine.

Hope this helps.

Hi 26power

Wow I had no idea there were so many options out there for railway buildings similar to the one I am constructing.

Many thanks for the links, a great amount of information that will be very useful to me.

With regards to the structure in the photo I am building I have already ordered all the materials and I want to try to stay as true to the prototype as possible, but there were many other structures scattered around Haymarket's yards and believe me the details you have sent will be just what I need and it will save me a lot of time not having to study photos and scratch build.

Many thanks again.

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I have started to build some of the outstanding structures for Haymarket, I know from photos there is some form of timber Hut or small building below the coal tower but no decent photos to give me any clear details.

In fact I have just one photo that shows some form of outline of a building with a flat roof and the large open void below the coaling tower needs some type of structure to fill it.

So I decided to come up with something that hopefully will blend in, I wanted some type of old timber shed which would probably be well and truly run down and covered in coal dust and brake dust being located below the coal tower.

I know from archive photos there were lots of very old timber construction building scattered around Haymarket's shed yards.

I enclose a couple of photos of what I came up with.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-52645600-1496416688_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-97041900-1496416762_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Good Afternoon

I am still progressing with the smaller out buildings scattered around Haymarket MPD, while I wait for the materials to arrive from York Model Making for the earlier concrete planking construction building near to the turntable area.

This latest one is located next to the coaling stage, I enclose a copy of the only reasonable photo I have found of this building and a photo of my model.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-33458400-1497364490_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-05473100-1497364527_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jules

Regards

David

Hi 

The small concrete planked hut ( As shown in post No560 ) along with some other Haymarket building's have now been completed, Photo enclosed, next to it is the second type of water crane used around Haymarket shed.

I now also have the four water cranes that sat outside the eastern end of the main running shed, these are from Mikes Models, they are not exactly the same as the originals but they are similar and the best I could find, they are not fully finished yet but enough to give an idea of what they will look like.

Some of them were kindly donated to me by Gilbert of Peterborough North fame and for that I thank him very much the remainder I ordered myself.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-44829300-1499089365_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-10635200-1499089438_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 10

• 3 months later...

Good Evening all

It has been some time since my last post, I am please to say that the room which will house my Haymarket 64B layout is now completely redecorated apart from new LED lighting and the carpet which is  being fitted next week.

I can then reinstate the baseboards and start track wiring.

I have mentioned in the past I have been working on a joint project with Gareth who runs "Replica Railways" based in my home town of Swindon.

The project consists of converting Five Bachmann A2/3's using Graeme King's resin and etched parts, this has been a very long drawn out project as Gareth has done most of the conversion works as and when he can in between running his business.

He handed over to me the two A2/3's that will finally run on Haymarket, they were in several parts with quite a few of the fittings still to be fixed, Ie handrails, cab detailing and quite a few other parts, as Gareth has completely resprayed all five locomotives and tenders full transfers were also required which included boiler bands, footplate linings and cab side transfers and numbers.

These were all completed using Fox Transfers, and I must pay credit to them as I managed to destroy the first two cab side rectangles, this was completely my own fault and Fox kindle replaced them with additional spares free of charge.

Anyway the two loco bodies representing No's 60511 Airborne and 60521 Watling Street are now full completed including loco crews to both models, both locomotives were regular visitors to Haymarket in the 1950's and 1960's.

The two tenders are also now fully completed as well apart from the tender side transfers and totems.

Both models are still awaiting the chassis to be completed, this work is well beyond my modelling skills so I will have to wait until Gareth completes them both for me.

I took the opportunity today to take a few photos while the sun was briefly out, I must say the two photos where the tenders are in the foreground do not do the paintwork any justice for some reason that is unknown to me.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-32175600-1507915466_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-38950500-1507915582_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-32394600-1507915657_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-15750600-1507915734_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Good Evening all

It has been some time since my last post, I am please to say that the room which will house my Haymarket 64B layout is now completely redecorated apart from new LED lighting and the carpet which is being fitted next week.

I can then reinstate the baseboards and start track wiring.

I have mentioned in the past I have been working on a joint project with Gareth who runs "Replica Railways" based in my home town of Swindon.

The project consists of converting Five Bachmann A2/3's using Graeme King's resin and etched parts, this has been a very long drawn out project as Gareth has done most of the conversion works as and when he can in between running his business.

He handed over to me the two A2/3's that will finally run on Haymarket, they were in several parts with quite a few of the fittings still to be fixed, Ie handrails, cab detailing and quite a few other parts, as Gareth has completely resprayed all five locomotives and tenders full transfers were also required which included boiler bands, footplate linings and cab side transfers and numbers.

These were all completed using Fox Transfers, and I must pay credit to them as I managed to destroy the first two cab side rectangles, this was completely my own fault and Fox kindle replaced them with additional spares free of charge.

Anyway the two loco bodies representing No's 60511 Airborne and 60521 Watling Street are now full completed including loco crews to both models, both locomotives were regular visitors to Haymarket in the 1950's and 1960's.

The two tenders are also now fully completed as well apart from the tender side transfers and totems.

Both models are still awaiting the chassis to be completed, this work is well beyond my modelling skills so I will have to wait until Gareth completes them both for me.

I took the opportunity today to take a few photos while the sun was briefly out, I must say the two photos where the tenders are in the foreground do not do the paintwork any justice for some reason that is unknown to me.

Regards

David

Those look really good. Interesting to see them finished

Hi

Many thanks for the comments,

The only difficulty I had was trying to apply the footplate lining, there was times when the model came close to becoming an aircraft and flying through the air.

But on a serious note a very big thanks to Gareth for his time for doing all the conversion work and to Graeme for his brilliant idea in producing the parts to do the conversions in the first place.

I have always liked the Thompson Pacific’s and this was the only way I would get to own two of them.

Now just waiting for the chassis to complete the job, and both locomotives need to be weathered as well to tone down the green paintwork and bright orange linings.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hello.

Looks like quite a few recent Haymarket additions on Railphotoprints, and lots of pacifics! Might be the odd new corner you haven@t seen before?

http://railphotoprints.uk/p645433466/h94f0a82b#h950a2e42

Hi

Many thanks for the link, as you say there are many photos of Pacific’s on Haymarket and some really useful panoramic views with details I haven’t seen before, especially the eastern yard area heading towards Waverley Station.

Thanks again for the info and help.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• 2 months later...