Haymarket 64B

landscapes

• 4 months later...

Good Evening all

Quite a while since my last post, not much to show in the way of photos but lots of progress going on behind the scenes.

The last four hand built turnout points are almost completed, and all of the buildings through the MPD are are also now completed with exception to two small storage huts.

I have also been working on the back scene which includes fencing and some reduced depth buildings.

This project seems to be dragging on but when you are doing almost every part of the project yourself it does take a great deal of time, rushing the work leads to mistakes.

There is still a lot to do on the track work and wiring side, but with quite a lot of the infrastructure in place so I thought this evening I would try some photography scenes in a few locations to get an idea of what I will be able to achieve when the layout is completed.

One photo is enclosed more to follow.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-80160700-1525467187_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 11

Both look great.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Ian

Thank you Ian

I do find every aspect of the project very enjoyable and satisfying.

But It’s seeing other members layouts on this thread that’s the real inspiration to me.

Regard

David

• Like 1

David,

It's all coming together wonderfully.

Hopefully the progress will continue, there will be plenty of photos to look forward to.

Eric

Hi Eric

Many thanks for the comments, there is certainly potential for lots of Model Railway Photography once the layout is completed.

and without any doubt progress will continue, I enclose a second photo taken from the opposite side to the last one.

I am also looking at the detail to the main shed entrance access road and the detail for the next two baseboards, I will post some photos in due course

Regards

David

post-6557-0-28657900-1525544945_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 6

Good Evening All

This is the area of the layout that has been the hardest to build up as there are very little if any photos of the access road leading from Russell Road down to the main shed at Haymarket,

So using some arial photos taken by the RAF in 1949 and a large piece of artistic licence I have come up with this proposal, static grass and road surface finish still to be added at a later date.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-95055100-1525558843_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

​Hi David,

​Your Haymarket is looking superb . . . and evoking many memories of my weekly visits there in the mid/late 50s and very early 60s!

In your previous post (#583) you wrote "the access road leading from Russell Road down to the main shed" ​-- just so that you are aware, the access road from Russell Road actually led UP towards the sheds.  Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the area from the steam days (didn't have a camera in the 50s!).

​I expect you've probably exhausted all photographic and cartographic sources, but in case you haven't seen this, I'll attempt to include it in this post.  If I succeed in posting it, I have shown the access road in red >>>

post-17684-0-40234900-1525629353_thumb.jpg

​In case anyone reading this is interested, here is the url link that will take you directly to that map above.  The map is fully 'zoomable' and it pretty much takes in the whole of the UK so you should probably be able to move the map around to find your own area and see what the map looked like umpteen years ago.  There is also a blue button on the left-hand panel which can be slid left to right/right to left and it transforms the map into modern day Google image of the same area - - -

​ - - - here's the link >>> 

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.9426&lon=-3.2344&layers=170&b=1

NOTE: You just have to click on the "X" in the top R/H corner of the white 'information' page which will at first appear in front of the map when the map opens on their website.

​Hi David,

​Your Haymarket is looking superb . . . and evoking many memories of my weekly visits there in the mid/late 50s and very early 60s!

In your previous post (#583) you wrote "the access road leading from Russell Road down to the main shed" ​-- just so that you are aware, the access road from Russell Road actually led UP towards the sheds.  Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the area from the steam days (didn't have a camera in the 50s!).

​I expect you've probably exhausted all photographic and cartographic sources, but in case you haven't seen this, I'll attempt to include it in this post.  If I succeed in posting it, I have shown the access road in red >>>

attachicon.gifRussel Rd entrance.jpg

​In case anyone reading this is interested, here is the url link that will take you directly to that map above.  The map is fully 'zoomable' and it pretty much takes in the whole of the UK so you should probably be able to move the map around to find your own area and see what the map looked like umpteen years ago.  There is also a blue button on the left-hand panel which can be slid left to right/right to left and it transforms the map into modern day Google image of the same area - - -

​ - - - here's the link >>> 

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.9426&lon=-3.2344&layers=170&b=1

NOTE: You just have to click on the "X" in the top R/H corner of the white 'information' page which will at first appear in front of the map when the map opens on their website.

Hi Holyrood 60152

Many thanks for the very kind reply and help, sorry it was my mistake I do realise that the access road leading to the shed from Russell Road does actually go up and not down.

That as you know allows Russell Road to then pass under the main running lines going past the MPD to Waverley Station.

I have been looking at how in Model Railway terms I can build the access road and surrounding areas trying to keep some of the original detail in.

To build a scale model exactly how it was apart from a lack of photos and details I would need an area larger than the whole ground floor of my house and my Wife would defiantly have something to say about that.

I may have said this already so please forgive if I have.

The overall layout will consist of Nine 600mm x 1200mm baseboards, what I have achieved and built so far are all on Baseboard No"s 4,5,6,and 7.

Baseboards 1,2,and 3 will cover the West yards to the MPD going in the Forth Bridge direction.

Baseboards 8 and 9 will cover Russell Road and where it passes under the main line and will include the Access Road up to the shed and the East yards beyond the turntable in the Waverley Station direction..

I have attempted a first design sketch of what baseboards 8 and 9 might look like from a landscaping point of view and enclose a copy below.

As you will know there was a signal box located down the main line just before the point where the lines I believe to Dalry passed over, those lines and the embankment will be the end point to the layout.

I hope some of what I have said makes some sense to you.

Again many thanks for taking the time to add all your information and the OS link as well.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-79840300-1525640613_thumb.jpg

Good morning

A couple more photos to give a bit more idea of the layout itself.

The first photo is a high level view looking down over the turntable and East entrance to the main running shed, this was the view mostly favoured by photographers in the steam days

The second photo shows the layout in the east yard with all the smaller out buildings scattered around the yard, only two more to complete.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-95121400-1525687502_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-66541900-1525687588_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi

My apologies to those who do not like see smoke photoshopped into a model Railway photo but until I fix the track down to the baseboards trim the sleepers over the inspection pits, weather the rails and carry out all landscaping works around the track work it hopefully takes your eye of the Templot printed sheets.

Regards

David 

post-6557-0-28999000-1526056250_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 8

Good evening

A high level view of the shed with a close up of two J83 locomotives, unfortunately these are Hornby J83 that have been adapted to make them a little more respectable.

They both have been fitted with Bachmann Pannier tank chassis which are a big improvement over the original Hornby chassis both in running and looks.

I found the original chassis made the loco bodies have a slight slope to them the buffer heights at the back were higher than the front.

I have also fitted lamp irons, real coal, crews, lamps, new couplings and the wooden platform type steps, both locos have been renumbered to represent J83's seen at Haymarket MPD and both have been weathered.

These are a far cry from the kit build versions but with all the coming expenses to get Haymarket up and running they will have to do for now and I am happy with what I have achieved with them so far.

It's nice to have some smaller locomotives on the shed as well as the usual Pacific's which Haymarket was so famous for.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-20405200-1526413336_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 7

Nothing wrong with them - it scrubs up really well as a layout loco and changing the spectacle plates makes a huge difference to its appearance. It's been said recently elsewhere here that perhaps we are modelling too much for the digital camera rather than the eye, and as such, with modern chassis, they will work and look as well as far newer models. Most of my current fleet depends on RTR replacement chassis and they work all the better for it...Keep all this coming!

Nothing wrong with them - it scrubs up really well as a layout loco and changing the spectacle plates makes a huge difference to its appearance. It's been said recently elsewhere here that perhaps we are modelling too much for the digital camera rather than the eye, and as such, with modern chassis, they will work and look as well as far newer models. Most of my current fleet depends on RTR replacement chassis and they work all the better for it...Keep all this coming!

Hi Richard

Many thanks for that, I think you are correct we do or I do model for the digital camera, Model Railway photography is a big part of the modelling process for me probably just as much as the railway modelling itself.

I also fully agree with you that changing the spectacle plates was a big improvement over the very poor excuse that Hornby supplies to the J83 body.

Today is a bit of a landmark for me on Haymarket 64B I will be completing the very last building to the layout, just waiting for the door to arrive from York Modelmaking Ltd

So far I have build twenty different structures all from the photos I have, plus fencing and embankments.

Thanks you again and more photos to follow as I progress.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Will there be any Y9's?

Hi JeffP

Not sure about Y9 class though I do have a Hornby Caledonian class loco I renumbered 56035 and I also scratch built the wooden bodied coal truck they use to pull.

I believe that 56035 was at St Margarets MPD at one time so it may have got over to Haymarket?

I will try to post a photo of it later today.

Regards

David

Good evening 

Following my last update I enclosed below is a photo of the Hornby Caley Pug I adapted, weathered and scratch built the wooden bodied coal truck that was unique to this class and the Y9 class together with visiting Top Shed 34A A4 60017 Silver Fox.

I have been informed on very good authority that it was unlikely that this engine would have been seen on Haymarket shed even though it was shredded at St Margarets MPD just a few miles away. 

Regards

David

post-6557-0-88406400-1526507868_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

G'Day Folks

Great picture, but at first glance, I thought there was a modern scrap wagon on the the roof of the shed !

manna

Hi manna

No mate thats an outdoor high level swimming pool for the shed staff, but i do take your point looking at the photo now, its a bit like committing the sin of taking a photo of a steam locomotive with something protruding from the chimney.

Haymarket MPD had two large structures running parallel with the South wall of the main running shed and the passing main lines.

One was the enormous coal tower which I believe someone said was regarded as a bit of a landmark in the area the other was that very large water tank.

Next photos will be taken at either a lower level or vey high level.

Regards

David 

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 2

Good Morning

An update on Haymarket 64B, every one of my building's have now been completed and I have run out of C&L fine scale bullhead track and sleepers making up 450mm track straights which in 4mm scale  represents two 60"-0" foot full size track panels, so I have now for the time being hit the buffers and come to a stop.

I will be getting the last four hand built turnout points this week so for the time being I am going to practise soldering wires to the track-work using some old Peco track to start with, this job for some reason scares the daylights out of me and I have no reason why I have just been putting it off but the moment of truth has now arrived.

So while I do that and work out how much more track I need to order and build I enclose a photo below that I believe would not have pleased many ex Haymarket Men at the time.

The dreaded Clan Class have arrived at Haymarket.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-89587400-1526886580_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I enclose a photo below that I believe would not have pleased many ex Haymarket Men at the time.

The dreaded Clan Class have arrived at Haymarket.

Don't worry - they won't hang around for long!

Good Morning

From a damp dreary Swindon this morning.

I have just collected the last four Turnout Points built by Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks", using C&L Finescale components, he really is a master at track building his work is absolutely superb.

Just half an hour in his company has taught me so much regarding in my case the dark art of soldering up point-work and track-work and tips for better track fixing to baseboards.

I am now just waiting for some Carr's Orange Flux to arrive by post.

I also had a very interesting telephone conversation with a gentleman at DCC Concepts as Haymarket 64B will be fully digital I Hope, I was amazed at what equipment is available from them for the Railway Modeller and also just how much it will all cost "Ouch"

I will enclose a photo of Norman's point-work later today but with a so much of tracks still missing the photo will not do his work justice, in the mean time I enclose a few photos showing some more Haymarket 64B locomotives including Home based A3 60098 Spion Kop and A4 60023 Golden Eagle a regular visitor from Gateshead.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-09617100-1527318731_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-86521900-1527318992_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-09617100-1527318731_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-86521900-1527318992_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 5