Dapol Western breaks cover at Steam Swindon

Andy Y

Hi Dave,

Just got back from holiday. Western looking very good now! A couple of observations: Are the steps on the roof around the front roof panel due to this being a test shot? and secondly, the beading around the lower part of the front valence below the buffer beam should go all the way around the perimeter and not continue down under the loco.

Hope this doesn't pour too much cold water on what is turning out to be a model with huge potential.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Ah, if truth be told the model came from China without plates fitted, unlike the previous deco model supplied to steam.

I, for my sins and nervous disposition and shaky hands glued the plates onto the side by hand and cross eyed method.

Guilty as charged m'lud.

Production ones are fitted by template at the correct scale 6ft 7" from rail top.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Marc,

Thanks for this, but the model produced is the one seen in Andy's pictures and whilst i understand your comments we are too far down the line (excuse the pun) to change it now as it would take yet more time and cost a lot of money.

Please remember that what has been developed using the last cad/cam and i cannot (sincerely sorry about this) have any modifications to the tooling at this late a stage. :fie:

I hope you understand and can accept this.

Just writing this i feel i've let you down.

cheers

Dave

.....secondly, the beading around the lower part of the front valence below the buffer beam should go all the way around the perimeter and not continue down under the loco......

It wouldn't take too long to shave it off and add some styrene strip going in the right direction.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for this, but the model produced is the one seen in Andy's pictures and whilst i understand your comments we are too far down the line (excuse the pun) to change it now as it would take yet more time and cost a lot of money.

Please remember that what has been developed using the last cad/cam and i cannot (sincerely sorry about this) have any modifications to the tooling at this late a stage. :fie:

I hope you understand and can accept this.

Just writing this i feel i've let you down.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was talking very much tongue in cheek. The front valence should be quite easy to modify anyway. Look forward to seeing the other liveries when they appear.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

They are handsome machines and this model captures the look of them very well. I have D1000 and also a Maroon SYP one on order. I had managed to tell myself that this was enough until I saw the green N gauge sample and it reminded me that they looked pretty good in green too and some members wore this livery until well after the end of steam. Would 3 be too many?

Sorry if I have missed it anywhere in the thread, are there any plans to produce D1015 in golden ochre?

you little tease, and had me looking at my pictures.

i found some with beading (especially preserved) that had the beading carry under the valance or stop when it should go across and join up.

thansk for the sleepness night you gave me :angel:

cheers

Dave :mosking:

Hi Dave,

I was talking very much tongue in cheek. The front valence should be quite easy to modify anyway. Look forward to seeing the other liveries when they appear.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

They are handsome machines and this model captures the look of them very well. I have D1000 and also a Maroon SYP one on order. I had managed to tell myself that this was enough until I saw the green N gauge sample and it reminded me that they looked pretty good in green too and some members wore this livery until well after the end of steam. Would 3 be too many?

I think with a model this good, anything more than 75 would be too many but up to 74 is not enough. Anyone got room to have models of all 74 Westerns at once?

Sorry if I have missed it anywhere in the thread, are there any plans to produce D1015 in golden ochre?

Why not have all seven Matt...!

D1002 GSYP 19/3/62 - 8/5/65

D1003 GSYP 14/4/62 - 1/11/65

D1004 GSYP 12/5/62 - 8/2/67

D1035 GSYP 27/7/62 - 2/2/66

D1036 GSYP 29/8/62 - 25/11/66

D1037 GSYP 31/8/62 - 27/1/67

D1038 GSYP 7/9/62 - 27/1/66

Take your pick!

Blue / FYE one ordered from those nice people at Kernow :good:

All part of the master plan Dave... having revamped my little green 22 into an oh so modern looking D6314 in BSYP livery, I might as well have all the liveries either side of it!

Course, it's all your fault you know.... ;o)

EDIT : I should have gone to Specsavers Dave.... I read that too quickly and didn't see the craftily inserted 'Black'... you naughty, naughty man, don't start spreading that rumour now Mr.Jones...!

• RMweb Gold

All part of the master plan Dave... having revamped my little green 22 into an oh so modern looking D6314 in BSYP livery, I might as well have all the liveries either side of it!

Course, it's all your fault you know.... ;o)

EDIT : I should have gone to Specsavers Dave.... I read that too quickly and didn't see the craftily inserted 'Black'... you naughty, naughty man, don't start spreading that rumour now Mr.Jones...!

There were reports at the time that black was among the various liveries under consideration for further 'livery trials' on the class but it certainly never appeared in traffic. Various other colours were also rumoured including Stroudley's improved engine green but the nearest they got to that was D1015 (which might have started off the rumour for that one in its early days of painting?).

Regarding the myth about 'the black one'.... no-one has so far come up with any proof that a single Western was ever painted black, and thinking about it logically, if it had it would almost certainly have been posed outside A Shop for the traditional Swindon Works loco portrait, if only to assess how it looked overall and perhaps for the official records, in the same way that D1015 was treated in those famous snowbound shots of January '63. I've always had a strong feeling in my water that this myth came about thanks to a very dark black and white photograph of green liveried D1003 that was published in one of the monthly railway mags of the period, the photo in question being an otherwise well known colour shot of this loco standing outside A Shop on 14th April 1962... even in colour, the published renditions of this particular image make the green look very dark compared to other standard green diesel locos of the time... I guess we'll never know for certain but this is my theory anyway... ;) . Photos do exist of every single Western during construction and painting and none of the well known authorities on the class have ever come forward with evidence of a black paint job in amongst these. Copies of these could probably found be found in the Kew or NRM archives and a few have been published over the years.

Just another one of those oddments from the wierd and wonderful world of the Diesel Hydraulic programme I suppose, like the odd decision as to why at least one Western and a handful of Warships were given full repaints in maroon livery while alongside them stood other mainline Hydraulics being painted in the new corporate blue....!

or a nice Black limited edition :jester:

Now I am back in the days when I wanted the 12" picture disc / coloured vinyl!

Having seen the little beastie at Steam, I must say I wish I'd ordered one...

However, I'll wait for a blue one....

.... and I'm sure i could be persuaded to go for a green one ;)

Originally, I never intended to go for a 22

but I like the Dapol models so much, I bought 1...... then another...

Cracking work from Dave & the Dapol team

They really have stepped modelling up a gear :)

And now they are tempting me with n gauge ho ho...

Marc

Archived