Dapol Western breaks cover at Steam Swindon

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I missed the boat too Terry but it's possible Steam could do other variations of the livery in due course. It's not dave's fault as that's the quantity that Steam committed to. I'm sure they could have sold more on the back of the quality of the product on release but they did invest a substantial amount for that 400.

Thank you Andy, It a shame that I have Heljan Version of the Western, it would have great to have one to compare with the Hejan.

By the way the for that I have are

D1007. Maroon SYWP

D1039. Green SYWP

D1039. Maroon Yellow T bar buffer beam.

D1015. Golden Ochre.

As for the Heljan version of D1000, is getting difficult to track down.

Terry

said about 16:00 on Saturday that he was delighted that they'd sold about 220 0f them today.

Chuff it! Fair play to them but I did try and order one online this week and they weren't available for sale hence my 'sold out' comment in the OP.

It is a rather splendid box which would be handy for other paraphernalia in my case.

Ignoring the body errors of the Heljan Western effort its nice to see a model that has such convincing bogies. Personally the shape of the body shape of the Heljan never bothered me that much, although I know alot of folk it did, but the bogies always I found annoying, especially with their lack of brake rigging and flat 2d wheel profile.

• RMweb Premium

For Sale:

Three Hornby "Western" class locos. One with low mileage owned from new; two purchased second-hand in the earliest days of the layout. ;)

The finished product looks every bit as good as hoped having followed the development within these pages. Mine are reserved with Kernow as weathered versions and will come a little later but the basic shell looks superb. Capturing the lines and detail is no small achievement. To then have brake rigging attached not just in 00 but also - from the images shown above - in N as well is truly remarkable.

Anyone who wasn't convinced Dapol had entered the Big League with the Beattie well tanks had better take a look at these and reconsider their opinion.

A question was raised above regards the D600s. I would expect these to be fairly close behind the Westerns as Kernow has suggested they may become available right at the end of this year or - more likely - early next. My suggestion is if you are interested then pre-order now; they may not be available off the shelves if D1000 is anything to go by.

I was about to ask about the bogie springs too. Are they functional; that is to say, are the bogies actually sprung?

No; it's just cosmetic but it does give better definition than I've seen with molded ones (as long as they sit tight and straight on their mount). I've not seen the method used before either Ben.

I must ask Dave next week about the speedo cable (not shown) and how/where it attaches.

Dapol Dave,

Hi, you may remember me, we met when you used D1015 to laser scan to get this model of a Western. What a fantastic beautifull result. Well done, its another credit to you and your company.

One question.... the windscreen wipers?? are they factory fitted?? in which case they should be in the up position. On a 52 the windscreen wipers park in the UP position so as not to distract the driver.

Im so glad I never bothered with a Heljan Western.... at last I can have one.... thanks again Dave, a fantastic effort you can be justly proud of.

On a 52 the windscreen wipers park in the UP position so as not to distract the driver.

Hi Mark, I was there on the scanning day too so a belated thanks for your courtesies!

To be fair the wipers are rarely in such a symmetrical pose as your snap. :)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the mail, and rest assured I have asked for the wipers to be in a Parked condition, but there is still time to canvas opinion here ( I only have a couple of days before full production starts)

Would customer applied wipers (in an accessory bag) be better or would this fall under the "too many parts for the customer who's paying enough money already to fit"?

I don't have a choice with Enterprise.

Oh, and Kernow has a Heljan Enterprise for sale on their stand at Steam this morning (Sunday).

Anyway, as per Champion and the groups help. It's was fantastic, allowing us free reign to scan, photograph and visit the cabs...........truly a nice bunch of guys who will be getting a present or 3 from Dapol by way of a thanks.

Cheers

Dave

Oh, as for sound?

I spoke to the WLA chaps yesterday and they would be amenable to our friend and sound 'Guru' Leggomanbiffo going over and recording a Wizzo properly for possible re-use and blowing onto sound decoders for people's models? (me first please)

Leggomanbiffo where are you? ( said in the voice of shaggy from scooby doo) :-)

Cheers

Dave

Hello all,

The bogies appear on the 4mm version to have been fitted with real metal springs, rather than have them moulded in. I don't know much about OO as I'm an N Gauge enthusiast, but is this a first for an RTR model in OO?

cheers

Ben A.

Morning , The class 22 also uses metal springs - although not to such good effect as on the western , as they're not really chunky enough. A nice idea in theory though.

tfn

Jon

Anyway, as per Champion and the groups help. It's was fantastic, allowing us free reign to scan, photograph and visit the cabs...........truly a nice bunch of guys who will be getting a present or 3 from Dapol by way of a thanks.

How about doing a model of D1015 in golden orche as a thank you? I would buy one of them

• RMweb Gold

These are lovely models - need/want.... need/want...!

...and word is just coming in that an archive of old loco diagrams have been found in a cellar in Shepton Mallet, proving beyond doubt that these magnificent machines worked over the Somerset & Dorset.... :D

• RMweb Premium

Wipers fitted correctly parked would look just that little bit more special. I don't object to fitting them but find parts that sort of size fiddly as I get a little older and I'm sure I am not alone in that.

Dave - been hearing lots of praise for the Thousand 'off forum' from folk at work and elsewhere.... you really have done a wonderful job, congratulations all round again.

Hope nobody minds if I get a bit sentimental, I know it's 'only a model' but blimey, if ever a lump of plastic, metal and wires can evoke real time memories then this is it..... to quote the mighty Led Zeppelin :

"There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West, and my spirit is crying for leaving..."

This model, like so many others from the Chirk based chappies, really has raised the bar in so many ways, not just in the toolmaking for the bodyshell but in the way it sits on it's bogies with the delicate brake gear already in place, it just seems to capture the look and feel of the real thing better than any other diesel loco I've laid eyes on up to now. I was sat in the Down Loop at Ashchurch last night working the rail recovery train armed with five books on the Westerns trying to make my mind up which locos to have and in which liveries.. I thought I'd made my mind up ages ago but this is so nice i want as many as possible!

• RMweb Gold

This model, like so many others from the Chirk based chappies, really has raised the bar in so many ways, not just in the toolmaking for the bodyshell but in the way it sits on it's bogies with the delicate brake gear already in place, it just seems to capture the look and feel of the real thing better than any other diesel loco I've laid eyes on up to now. I was sat in the Down Loop at Ashchurch last night working the rail recovery train armed with five books on the Westerns trying to make my mind up which locos to have and in which liveries.. I thought I'd made my mind up ages ago but this is so nice i want as many as possible!

Some of us have a simple choice Nidge - any every colour but blue, s'easy then ;)

For a modeller of the North Eastern region, I'm rather miffed. It's proving difficult to find an excuse to have one of these.

If people like me are trying to find an excuse, that says a lot about the quality of this model!

Now, didn't Dapol mention producing DP2 at one point?.....

Cheers.

Sean.

D1023? York? Railtour?

Problem solved.

• RMweb Premium

For a modeller of the North Eastern region, I'm rather miffed. It's proving difficult to find an excuse to have one of these.

Previous thread here, but thin pickings beyond the railtour mentioned by Raffles, I'm afraid. Going to be even harder with the D600s...

BTW, Dapol Dave was cheerfully quoting this thread from his iPad at Swindon yesterday :)

Archived