RMweb

Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Here you go:

I am not reacting.

Back on topic

post-16423-0-69906500-1545475965_thumb.jpg

Is it one of these everyone is waiting for?

The other week I had a look at Tony's (Mulgabill on here) Silver Fox model, it looked very good.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I am not reacting.

Back on topic

attachicon.gif100_4983a.jpg

The other week I had a look at Tony's (Mulgabill on here) Silver Fox model, it looked very good.

Cool model, but Is that a pasty I can see in the cab window ?

;)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

Here you go:

Why could you have not posted this two weeks ago? I had been trying to remember the name of this show for about a year but was having no luck. Finally figured it out two weeks ago!

I am not reacting.

Back on topic

attachicon.gif100_4983a.jpg

I am guessing that there will be plenty of Silver Fox D600's coming on ebay once the Kernow model has been delivered. I must admit I had looked at getting one but never did as I have too many projects on the go as it is.

Edited by jsp3970
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why could you have not posted this two weeks ago? I had been trying to remember the name of this show for about a year but was having no luck. Finally figured it out two weeks ago!

I am guessing that there will be plenty of Silver Fox D600's coming on ebay once the Kernow model has been delivered. I must admit I had looked at getting one but never did as I have too many projects on the go as it is.

Sold mine a couple of weeks ago :) Needed to, as had already paid for the Kernow one :O

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Still have my fingers crossed that Chinese New Year does not upset the production and delivery unduly and that I might be able to return from Camborne in a few month's time laden with new black boxes.  If production is sufficiently advanced then at least one could be used as a demonstration piece for my weathering tutorial in Hayle late in May.  I have a couple of unused 22s on stand-by if the 6xx are not ready in time.

• Like 2

I don't believe that we should be expecting these to arrive before March. 'Production started' on 24 November 2018, but what does this mean? I suspect that it simply means that components for the batch are ordered from sub-contractors by the Chinese factory. The mouldings could be produced simultaneously and be finish painted/printed by which time the motors, wheels etc. may have been delivered. Work can then commence on assembly. I would suggest that they MAY be completed and shipped before the start of the Chinese New Year on 5 February, in which case we will see them in the UK during March. If they are delayed until after the New Year (which ends on 19 February), IMHO we should not expect them before April.

Doubtless Kernow will make an announcement when there is some good news. I am certainly looking forward to receiving mine!

Martin

Edited by MartinTrucks

• RMweb Gold

Wait and see.  As Martin has said Kernow will tell us when they have something to tell us and we might, or might not, be surprised (in a cheery sort of way) but it also depends on lots of factors beyond the factory gates including the speed of the hopefully not slow boat from China, clearance through UK Customs and so on.  In other words they'll be here when they arrive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wait and see.  As Martin has said Kernow will tell us when they have something to tell us and we might, or might not, be surprised (in a cheery sort of way) but it also depends on lots of factors beyond the factory gates including the speed of the hopefully not slow boat from China, clearance through UK Customs and so on.  In other words they'll be here when they arrive.

Just like the real thing, working on one engine.

A couple of piccies that D6xx fans might like -   

attachicon.gifDSCF1475.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF1472.JPG

- Not kernows I'm afriad but a larger scale kit that I'm finishing off

It's a shame that (unless I've misread) Kernow aren't doing 'Bulldog' in Blue with small warning panels as above -  I think it really suits the loco - much better than the full yellow ends on D600  - they looked orrible!  Hopefully Kernow will do us a nice D602 in blue later on.

Jon

Is that a Fred Phipps Gauge 1 kit? Looks very tasty indeed. Love the pedestal controller detail.

• RMweb Premium

Nice photos Baby Deltic, I have two Kernow Warships on order, I am sure they will represent these much maligned but IMHO beautiful locos. Like the LMS twins and many other locos around this time they were prone to petulance when in service. But unless these fore runners had been around better locos may not have followed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos Baby Deltic, I have two Kernow Warships on order, I am sure they will represent these much maligned but IMHO beautiful locos. Like the LMS twins and many other locos around this time they were prone to petulance when in service. But unless these fore runners had been around better locos may not have followed.

They were certainly very impressive looking, particularly to me as D601 was the first mainline diesel I ever saw (at St Budeaux on the Up Postal).  Alas they were never truly reliable in service and were very rapidly overshadowed by Swindon's own version of what it thought a diesel-hydraulic should be but that never stopped the D6XX looking good, until those excresences of headcode boxes were added.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Update on the Kernow web-site:

Project update - 25th January 2019 - Production of the first two versions complete
The first two models left the factory and are now on board the vessel AL MURAYKH which is due to dock into Southampton around 21st February.  This does mean the pre-order price offer has now closed.  K2601 and K2604 are in the first shipment with the remaining models expected to be completed soon after Chinese New Year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Update on the Kernow web-site:

The Al Muraykh is currently the Eastern China Sea, ETA Hong Kong 00.30 tomorrow.  She is a very large ship (19,870 teu) so finding the right container out of that lot might take a little while when she docks in the UK (Southampton?). 

PS running on one engine.

Alea iacta est. With a coreless motor it might be safer to install a decoder. I also hope that the green turns out to be a little less 10203 (& Dapol 10000) and a little more Bachmann. Still, with the Bulleids as a production standard, I should think these will be stunners. Like Metr0land, I’m eager and waiting.

• RMweb Gold

The Al Muraykh is currently the Eastern China Sea, ETA Hong Kong 00.30 tomorrow.  She is a very large ship (19,870 teu) so finding the right container out of that lot might take a little while when she docks in the UK (Southampton?). 

PS running on one engine.

Should rightly dock in the Clyde for authenticity........

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Should rightly dock in the Clyde for authenticity........

On watching a TV program about containers and their off-loading at ports, it seems that a container ship has a limited time in the port according to their schedule and the container may actually be unloaded at the next convenient port if it wasn't unloaded within the time constraints for that ships port visit. It follows that if the container is unloaded at a different port from that which was expected it would require further arrangements for transportation to the intended destination.