Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pteremy said:

I am right in thinking that the indicator boxes were only fitted at the end of 1966?

Quite late in their short lives but I cannot be sure of the actual fitting dates.

1 minute ago, Geoff Endacott said:

The MAN and Maybach engines were not dissimilar.

Geoff Endacott

Hi Geoff 

Erm, both 60° V12 yes, but thats about it. The Maybach is a much more sophisticated engine with dual OHC (4 in total) with 6 valves per cylinder and roller bearing crankshaft. Where as the MAN L12/V18 is a much more basic engine with valve timing controlled pushrods driven by a single cam.

difficult to be precise as only very limited YouTube MAN engine sounds. But completely different to a Maybach I think.  

Regards 

3 minutes ago, Geoff Endacott said:

I am simply going by the fact that I found it difficult to tell the D800 and D833 Warships apart, but then I was only 12 years old when the last of the NBLs was withdrawn.

Geoff Endacott

Geoff

Wish I’d be there to see/hear them for real myself! I guess we will have to wait for the new class 22 (rebuild project) to actually hear the difference! A long time sadly! 

Regards 

• Friendly/supportive 2

The CD Diesels Through The Decades featuring recordings by Peter Handford includes Blue Pullmans which were essentially a train with a pair of class 21's at either end albeit in a different form. The MAN engines definitely have a deep note similar to a Hymek when they are under power. (The same recordings are also used in the Blue Pullman clips of the Diesels & Electrics On 35mm series DVD's with John Huntley) They appeared to have a softer note when not under power as in the clip of D600 leaving Paddington 8 minutes into the video below. There's also a shot of it passing at speed 7 mins in but its hard to make out the sound as its too brief.

Edited by Baby Deltic

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, miles73128 said:

Geoff

Wish I’d be there to see/hear them for real myself! I guess we will have to wait for the new class 22 (rebuild project) to actually hear the difference! A long time sadly! 

Regards 

1 hour ago, Geoff Endacott said:

I am simply going by the fact that I found it difficult to tell the D800 and D833 Warships apart, but then I was only 12 years old when the last of the NBLs was withdrawn.

Geoff Endacott

This is a difficult judgement to share because of the passage of time since both types worked the West of England main line in the early 1960’s.At that time I was fortunate to observe both types of Warship at work from a vantage point of Bristol TM.So here is a “value laden “, if you like ,observation to the effect that there was a clear difference between the sound print made by the Swindon built Warships and their NBL counterparts.Sorry if that confuses the issue.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Are they recorded anywhere? 

Data sourced from "The Book of the Warships" (John Jennison / Irwell Press):

D600 shopped Swindon 21/11/66, released 08/05/67 blue full yellow ends ex-green and newly fitted with headcode boxes ex-discs.  Loco withdrawn 31/12/67 so ran in traffic for just seven months in this condition.

D601 no records have been survived but photographed in traffic ??/01/66 green small yellow panels and fitted with headcode boxes.  Withdrawn 31/12/67.

D602 shopped Swindon 30/04/64, released 18/12/64 blue small yellow panels ex-green and newly fitted with headcode boxes ex-discs.  Loco withdrawn 31/12/67

D603 shopped Swindon 10/11/64, released 14/10/65 green small yellow panels and with newly fitted headcode boxes ex-discs.  Loco withdrawn 31/12/67

D604 shopped Swindon 23/05/66, released 18/11/66 green small yellow panels and with newly fitted headcode boxes ex-discs.  Loco damaged 22/03/67 therefore ran with headcode boxes for only four months and was not used again but not withdrawn until 31/12/67

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Geoff Endacott said:

1964 would, if it is correct, be a very early blue repaint.

Geoff Endacott

Agreed Geoff

Feb 67 according to other sources

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rac819/25988950003

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Geoff Endacott said:

1964 would, if it is correct, be a very early blue repaint.

Geoff Endacott

That was my thought. The data is merely copied over from the quoted source

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

Its a shame Dapol glue the windscreen wipers in so solid on their class 22's and D600's. It makes it impossible to re-position them without having to cut them off and carefully re-glue them.

But this isn't Dapol, this is Kernow direct with the factory in China, IIRC.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

That was my thought. The data is merely copied over from the quoted source

Erm, not without errors it hasn't.

D602 Headcode boxes added in works visit 30/04/64 - 18/12/64.

Released in BSYP 06/02/67 according to livery change data box. The photo opposite gives an earlier date for BSYP of Dec 1966, presumably part way through a 154 day  works visit commencing 08/09/66.

Edited by stovepipe
Additional info

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Data sourced from "The Book of the Warships" (John Jennison / Irwell Press):

D604 shopped Swindon 23/05/66, released 18/11/66 green small yellow panels and with newly fitted headcode boxes ex-discs.  Loco damaged 22/03/67 therefore ran with headcode boxes for only four months and was not used again but not withdrawn until 31/12/67

Elsewhere in this book it is recorded that D604 worked in South Wales 18/09/67 - 24/11/67, with D601 and D602, so it was evidently repaired after receiving collision damage (on 28/02/67), leaving Swindon on 22/03/67 and later moving to Wales as noted.

10 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Erm, not without errors it hasn't.

D602 Headcode boxes added in works visit 30/04/64 - 18/12/64.

Released in BSYP 06/02/67 according to livery change data box. The photo opposite gives an earlier date for BSYP of Dec 1966, presumably part way through a 154 day  works visit commencing 08/09/66.

D602 WAS an early repaint, as it received the short-lived chromatic blue. I was with a friend when he photographed it at Lostwithiel in blue/SYP - just about the only picture of a blue D6xx working that I've ever published. I'll ask if he has the actual date but it is likely to have been 1965 or 1966 as that's when we visited Cornwall. Judging by the 5C53 headcode, it was this picture that Kernow used in their research. By 1967 Swindon would have been well into full yellow ends - SYP on blue was short-lived. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

The CD Diesels Through The Decades featuring recordings by Peter Handford includes Blue Pullmans which were essentially a train with a pair of class 21's at either end albeit in a different form. The MAN engines definitely have a deep note similar to a Hymek when they are under power. (The same recordings are also used in the Blue Pullman clips of the Diesels & Electrics On 35mm series DVD's with John Huntley) They appeared to have a softer note when not under power as in the clip of D600 leaving Paddington 8 minutes into the video below. There's also a shot of it passing at speed 7 mins in but its hard to make out the sound as its too brief.

Right - that clip at c.8 minutes definitely is the sort of sound I remember and I agree absolutely about the deep note.  I think trying to reproduce in a small scale model night be a real test of finding the right speaker(s) let alone taking into account the behaviour of a diesel hydraulic accelerating compared with a diesel electric.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose it boils down to one question. Are there sufficent sound recordings of the D6xx class locos, or locos that used the same engines/transmission to produce a reasonably accurate sound decoder?

If not then its always going to be a approximation/ near as damn it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Right - that clip at c.8 minutes definitely is the sort of sound I remember and I agree absolutely about the deep note.  I think trying to reproduce in a small scale model night be a real test of finding the right speaker(s) let alone taking into account the behaviour of a diesel hydraulic accelerating compared with a diesel electric.

My model has a double sugar cube speaker by zimo. Judging by the feedback I think i need to turn the volume down. Also i discovered that if i am more aggressive with the throttle, the engine revs before setoff. Throttling back then ensures a gentle start but with the high revs. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1