Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Britain and the United States: two countries divided by a common language.

Ditto Canada and UK !

Often have to get a friend to "translate" and I've lived in Canada for ten years  ! :angry:

Apparently it's a form of swing dancing. Like the word 'jazz' the meanings may be more similar than you think.

And to think that I thought it might be something that ought to be reported to the American equivalent of the RSPB :O

Edited by BG John

• RMweb Gold

Last Monday a family of four boarded the train at Bournemouth.

At Southampton as we left the station we went into the tunnel. As we came out of the tunnel one of the little girls said to her parents 'are we still in England Mummy?'

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Another example of possible misunderstanding between English English and American English

Best wishes

Eric

The 'Band of OZ' has nothing to do with Australia, otherwise the band members could be expecting something quite different, to what the organisers are planning!

• Like 1

Apparently it's a form of swing dancing. Like the word 'jazz' the meanings may be more similar than you think.

I was sufficiently swayed by the genre to purchase a couple of records in the 1980s - very popular on Pub Disco Nights later in the evening :-

post-954-0-90524000-1431037445.png

And the follow-up:-

post-954-0-41405200-1431037454.png

Strangely available on the Virgin label  :O

Britain and the United States: two countries divided by a common language.

I was in Vegas recently, and the woman on the monorail till had overheard some British women the previous day talking about putting money 'in the kitty'.  She was quite confused...

Apparently, the Americans are aware of the concept of 'chipping in' (as in for that specific set of tickets everyone puts the money together to pay) but they don't have a concept of all throwing in money to a central fund that covers everything for everyone until the next topup is required...