RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Well, it's finally happened. One of the items I've sold on eBay has gone to someone called - and I kid you not - Mike Hunt.

I've just printed out the despatch note to be sent with the item, and wonder if he gets loads of people sniggering over his name?

i know a mike hunt, likes to be called michael for some reason

also knew a lad at school called 'ewan kerr'

My daughter knew a family at school who's surname was Lyons.

There children's first names were

Tiger, Felix & Dandy

And I thought it was only celebrities* who did such cruel things to their children.

Frank Zappa

Gwyneth Paltrow

Jay Z + Beyoncé

the Kanye + Kim trainwreck etc, etc

More celebrity baby name nonsense here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

True, actually. Wasn’t it Ben Franklin that tried to simplify English in the USA? “Thru” as an example.....though you don’t see it so much nowadays.

Best, Pete.

On the subject of thru, or through, in the land of Traditional English we do things from, say Monday to (or until) Friday, but in the land of Simplified English they say Monday through Friday. But they never say when it will actually end. If you're on a train that goes through a tunnel, you expect to come out the other side, and not end your journey in the tunnel!

Round these parts (S Yorks), there's a variation on the "until/through", such as a banner on the side of a pub, "Happy Hour 5 while 8". Leaving aside that 5 until 8 is a happy three hours, it had me, a non-native, slightly baffled for a "while".

• RMweb Premium

True, actually. Wasn’t it Ben Franklin that tried to simplify English in the USA? “Thru” as an example.....though you don’t see it so much nowadays.

Best, Pete.

Actually it was Noah Webster, 1758 – 1843 he produced the dictionary that became the American standard school text. He was one of those traitorous people who wanted independence from the UK and deliberately chose to modify and simplify the written language to what HE thought was better.

Benjamin Franklin who lived around the same time, was involved with publishing and was of a similar traitorous nature may well have met him..

Edited by TheQ

The lady teaching us English language when I was in the 5th form at Woodhouse used to use "while" rather than "until". She was a local, had been a pupil at the school, and pronounced its name as "Wode'us", as, I think, the ancient Anglo-Saxons did the village name. Another favourite expression with which I was unfamiliar was "early doors". At the time, I thought she was saying "early doers", which seemed self explanatory, and it was some years before I grasped the meaning of "early doors".

Her lessons were conducted in a pleasantly free and easy atmosphere, but if we got too rambunctious, She would say: "All right, you lot, I don't care whether you get your GCEs or not; you can bring in your Comic Cuts and read that if that's what you'd rather do." I pointed out, politely, that "Comic Cuts" hadn't been printed since 1953, and asked if I could bring the Beano instead. She stared at me for a few seconds before bursting out laughing. 

Happy days ...

• Like 4

i know a mike hunt, likes to be called michael for some reason

also knew a lad at school called 'ewan kerr'

I had a fellow worker at a previous employer who went by the surname Kerr, he was a bit of a twit and had the nickname "Juan".

But it appears that someone actually has that name!!1

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/juan-kerr/53/126/a35

There is also a link on that page to another cracking name

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/poo-poo-pong/58/201/aab?trk=pub-pbmap

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 1

I had a fellow worker at a previous employer who went by the surname Kerr, he was a bit of a twit and had the nickname "Juan".

But it appears that someone actually has that name!!1

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/juan-kerr/53/126/a35

There is also a link on that page to another cracking name

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/poo-poo-pong/58/201/aab?trk=pub-pbmap

Jim

If those names on Linkedin are genuine, most appear to result from unfortunate English meanings of foreign proper nouns rather than shortsightedness of parents. Does anybody know of British names which provoke hilarity in other countries?

• RMweb Gold

Tanya Hyde always made me chuckle.

.... and there was that(?) radio show that had someone reading out a list of people attending a ball, and went something on the lines of:

Mr & Mrs Hyde and their daughter Tanya.

(anyone remember ?)

Rowan Atkinson in "The Secret Policemans ball" possibly

I remember

O'dendren......Rhoda.

..... that(?) radio show that had someone reading out a list of people attending a ball, and went something on the lines of:

Mr & Mrs Hyde and their daughter Tanya.

(anyone remember ?)

The "Late Arrivals" round from I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I once saw a high school class photo from the late 1990s/early 2000s including a girl named "Ginger Minge"!

Oh I had to smile when I received the first letter re-directed from my late mother's house, it was from Sun Life Insurance offering a life insurance policy with application form pre-filled in with her name and address! Yes - I had filled in the form for the https://www.thebereavementregister.org.uk/ two months ago!

• RMweb Gold

Not quite silly names but I once applied for a Texaco petrol card and wanted one for my wife on the same account.  For some unfathomable reason this wasn't possible.  It was, however, possible to have more than two cards on the same account.  I could not resist.  I applied for and received a card for myself, my wife and each of the seven dwarves.  :jester:

I know.  Crazy!  They're not even related to me.

On the subject of thru, or through, in the land of Traditional English we do things from, say Monday to (or until) Friday, but in the land of Simplified English they say Monday through Friday.

There is a precise purpose for this. Taking Monday until Friday or Monday to Friday literally can imply only Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  Monday through Friday means through the end of the day on Friday and is, I think, clearer in that respect.

If I said "I will be on vacation from Monday until Wednesday" do I return to work on Thursday or Wednesday?

Eh?  :drag: Americans say “9 to 5” which is similar.

Mostly in song I suspect.

Edited by Ozexpatriate