The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Unfortunately everything has gone the other way.

When I was a youngster we fought against music and film censorship, now the youngsters are the ones who want to ban everything!

As a wise man once said "What's wrong with being sexy?"

I find it odd that old tv and radio shows often have the warning " Reflects the language and views of the period". Whereas modern tv, especially comedy and soaps, often contains language that would have not been tolerated on the box back in those days. Obviously racist comments are unacceptable, but when did repeated use of the F word and other profanities become good comedy?

• Agree 17

54 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I find it odd that old tv and radio shows often have the warning " Reflects the language and views of the period". Whereas modern tv, especially comedy and soaps, often contains language that would have not been tolerated on the box back in those days. Obviously racist comments are unacceptable, but when did repeated use of the F word and other profanities become good comedy?

Kenneth Tynan, 1965, according to legend.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, steve1 said:

More like 1961 I would say.

steve

Brings to mind a picture of my dad in a deckchair on Blackpool beach in the 60s.  Dress shirt and trousers.  Trousers rolled up and no shoes (for paddling).  I think he may have had a knotted hanky on as well.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

How strange is that I’d just been watching that same clip on YouTube about an hour ago! 

“disguise it? it’s a 20ft cock and balls man, tell yer what we’ll stick a bobble hat on it and tell everyone it’s you” 

“we can’t have kids playing on a……..love length” 

brilliant scene and I suspect the cast laughing at Brian potter is genuine in places 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

when did repeated use of the F word and other profanities become good comedy?

When a certain Royston Vasey littered them through crap jokes.

(Try listening to him and ignore the swear words):(

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

but when did repeated use of the F word and other profanities become good comedy?

For me, about a decade ago when that little girl did the ice cube challenge.  I don't think I've ever heard a better delivery, and completely natural and inncocent, a moment of pure and sheer beauty!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

When a certain Royston Vasey littered them through crap jokes.

(Try listening to him and ignore the swear words):(

I find it impossible to listen to this alleged ‘comedian’ who has no redeeming features whatsoever.

steve

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

1729756988_AnonymousTom.png.742af14f7ed9486d40c2a1ff5d670fff.png

I suspect the chances of Mr McEldroon actually reading the local paper are somewhat slim, and the rest of the village probably already know it was him complaining anyway... The tone of the previous sentance suggests that the writer has no sympathy for him, rightly so IMHO...

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I would much rather watch a good sweary comedian like Chubby than anything by Morecambe and Wise or the totally unfunny Michael McIntyre. Or those absolute gob****es Ant and Dec.....

Yet those are apparently the most popular "comedians" of their generations. However IMO they are the blandest of the bland and aren't even remotely funny.

Don't even start me on modern sitcoms. Not been a decent one for years.

But it's just personal taste. Some people like steak, some people like beans on toast.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Royston Vasey is not to my taste, but I have a grudging repect for his techical skill as a live club comedian.  The language doesn't upset me, and represents the normal way of speaking for most of his club audience, who recognise and identify with it, and his timing and delivery are spot on.  I once watched a video of him performing which I though was quite illuminating; there were a group of ladies who were vociferously objecting to the swearing and his attitude to women, and one of them ventured that he was encouraging men to commit rape.  He paused and, speaking directly to the woman involved, said 'I don't ever encourage rape.  There is not a woman in this club who wouldn't rather be f*cked than raped, rape is horrible and rapists are not even men, they are an insult to scum'. 

There is no way that anyone except the worst sort of incels would ever disagree with any of this, and it rightly got him a standing ovation from everybody in the place, especially the women and particularly the group that had been objecting to his language.  He'd spoken with what was clearly absolute and genuine sincerity and conviction, and as a peice of crowd control and public speaking it was  awesome, and got the respect it deserved.  He immediately dropped back into the 'Chubby Brown' persona and continued the act.  A master of his art.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1