The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I don't normally agree with 'orrible Oliver (so appalling that we actually invited the kings back), and the Stuart ones at that), but in this case he had a point. 

The Civil War would have had me in a quandry.  I am by nature a republican, but find Cromwell one of the most despicable wastes of a skin in British history, and there's plenty to choose from.  IMHO only Hugh Despenser was worse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I don't normally agree with 'orrible Oliver (so appalling that we actually invited the kings back), and the Stuart ones at that), but in this case he had a point. 

The Civil War would have had me in a quandry.  I am by nature a republican, but find Cromwell one of the most despicable wastes of a skin in British history, and there's plenty to choose from.  IMHO only Hugh Despenser was worse.

Oliver had kicked the bucket by then; and there was no mechanism for appointing a successor, even if anyone competent (his son was anything but) could have been found who wanted the job. Parliament just took the easy way out.

I've always considered that Cromwell began with the best of intentions (the road to Hell etc.) but, once begun, the process inevitably forced extreme actions upon him. Certainly not a tenth as bad as the psychopathic King Henry VIII who would have done as much and more just for the fun of it. 

John

PS. I am, by nature, a Royalist, but only for ceremonial purposes. I just think it's less divisive than picking a superannuated ex-PM that half the country despises as Head of State.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Oliver had kicked the bucket by then; and there was no mechanism for appointing a successor, even if anyone competent (his son was anything but) could have been found who wanted the job. Parliament just took the easy way out.

John

Bit more complicated than that.

Richard Cromwell succeeded his father and was endorsed by a large majority in Parliament but was a total incompetent and it all fell apart pretty quickly.

That set in motion the wheels that led to Restoration.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Engineering Students.png

Reminds me of an plane in an old Ladybird book about aircraft. Against a picture of a Chinese copy of a DC3, it stated that the plane had been designed by students...

Looking back, some nuance might have been lost in translation!

Edited by Hroth
euphony

In the aftermath of Storm Arwen, I now have the following items for sale in my garden -

5 trampolines (assorted sizes)

36 Marley roof tiles

17 fence panels (assorted sizes)

2 rotary clothes driers

3 barbecue covers

1 free-standing hammock

2½ garden sheds

1 dog kennel with labrador

Any reasonable offers accepted. Buyer must collect.

Edited by CameronL
Added a bit
  • Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CameronL said:

In the aftermath of Storm Arwen, I now have the following items for sale in my garden -

5 trampolines (assorted sizes)

36 Marley roof tiles

17 fence panels (assorted sizes)

2 rotary clothes driers

3 barbecue covers

1 free-standing hammock

2½ garden sheds

1 dog kennel with labrador

Any reasonable offers accepted. Buyer must collect.

Will you separate or is it a job lot?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Shouldn’t this be in eBay madness?

On the night of the famous hurricane in 1987, I phoned my dad to check everyhing was ok; he lived on Port Road, the ‘top road’ in Barry and it’s a bit exposed up there in normal weather. 

‘Yeah, no problems, everything’s fine, we’ve battened down the hatches.  If you happen to see an asbestos garage flying past with a greenhouse in tow, though…’.  He wasn’t joking; they’d gone, whither we were not wont to want to wot and wotted not, as the snows of yesteryear, never to be seen again, still in orbit AFAIK.   Sadly, the Lada in the garage was still there…

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2