Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

15 hours ago, CameronL said:

I was in a fish and chip shop / pizza place in Conwy, North Wales, once, and the person in front of me asked for a Hawaiian (not Hawain, maybe that's a Newcastle thing, as in "Ha'wain the lads")  pizza. The girl serving him asked him if he wanted a 9 inch or 12 inch.

"How big is the 9 inch?" he asked.

Completely unperturbed by finding herself in the presence of an IQ which was possibly lower than the room temperature, she showed him the box it would be served in.

I was in Subway recently and the girl in front of me asked for two six inch subs, the server offered a 12" (there was quite a discount on them)  and she said, "no, thats too big, just give me two 6 inches"

I could feel myself devolving in her presence

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Torture the new generation!

There are television/YouTube programs that give such devices to children and ask them what they are and how they are used.

Rotary telephones, typewriters, audio cassette tapes and players, audio CDs, etc.

You could also torture the old generation.

Hand them a brand new telephone (uninitialized) and get them to use it for authorizing their use of a car park. (The average 16-year old probably won't have a problem.)

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 01/05/2023 at 16:23, big jim said:

Went the chippy last night, couldn’t decide between a Peproni, hawain pizza, or a sheesh kebab

IMG_0384.HEIC

On first reading, I'm sure the Kid's meal said Panda Poop😆

Probably tastes like it..............

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

My local chip wrapper newspaper is basically a pile of rubbish these days but just occasionally their online feed pops up a corker:

Screenshot_20230503_164257_Facebook.jpg.aaf14f669749955b953635dfae056a19.jpg

Sadly it wasn't JRM being arrested but for a moment my hopes were raised...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a gull took exception to the many loud blasts from the two 313s four sets of horns, as they drove into Newhaven Marine (Old Station).

Photographed passing through Newhaven Harbour station during the Branch Line Society's farewell tour, 29.4.2023.

Good day for the Seagulls Newhaven 29 4 2023.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2023 at 17:08, kevinlms said:

Torture the new generation!

Also an AM only radio with the station frequency/names around the dial.

New Generation Torture.png

• Like 2

images.png.c633a137e8dfb237d87c700786e921ef.png

And a few songs - 

Don't Luke Back In Anger - Oasis
Lay Lady Leia - Bob Dylan
Vader to Son - Cat Stevens
Jive Tarkin - The Bee Gees
Lando Make Believe - Buck's Fizz
A Hoth With No Name - America
Slow Han - The Pointer Sisters

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CameronL said:

images.png.c633a137e8dfb237d87c700786e921ef.png

And a few songs - 

Don't Luke Back In Anger - Oasis
Lay Lady Leia - Bob Dylan
Vader to Son - Cat Stevens
Jive Tarkin - The Bee Gees
Lando Make Believe - Buck's Fizz
A Hoth With No Name - America
Slow Han - The Pointer Sisters

To hell with it, just let the Wookie win!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Surely theres a smartphone app that allows you to use a "rotary phone" by producing dialling tones?

There is, both for Apple and Android. An image of a dial is shown and one has to rotate it.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, ian said:

guess.png

Did you see that news report, where they found a erectus skull in East Africa that pushes the development of this species back another hundred million years.  They know it's a woman, because the mouth's open...

Runs for cover.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, newbryford said:

If they had listened to the phone while dialling, they would have noticed that there was a clicking noise, once for a 1, twice for 2 etc. Then they might have stood a chance!

Also plenty of old movies on TV, surely they ought to have seen ONE, in their 17 years?

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

If they had listened to the phone while dialling, they would have noticed that there was a clicking noise, once for a 1, twice for 2 etc. Then they might have stood a chance!

Also plenty of old movies on TV, surely they ought to have seen ONE, in their 17 years?

But old movies are so BOOOORING!!!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But old movies are so BOOOORING!!!

My view is that modern movies start off well and end up the same old cliches. Take recent scifi as an example,  the first say half an hour introducing the aliens or baddies, then they get killed of by the usual methods. Often by machine guns, when they have inbuilt bullet proof shielding!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Hroth said:

Surely theres a smartphone app that allows you to use a "rotary phone" by producing dialling tones?

I'm quite surprised by the fact that they had never heard 'Dial Tone' before. But thinking about it, mobiles don't have it do they? And I suppose that land lines are becoming very rare these days. 

Of course with a dial, they are no tones when you actually dial, just the clicks of the loop being interrupted, it's only MF4 telephones that send tones to line.

I'm looking forward to the end of June, when I'm going to finally get a land line phone that will allow me to not pick up the handset when I dial: https://www.britishtelephones.com/lst1.htm

And just in case you think I'm a looney, you can buy Loop-disconnect to MF4 convertors to allow your old dial phone to work with Voip (and on ordinary lines), but until I'm forced to, I'm happy waring out BT's System X local unit.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224769422065?hash=item34554d32f1:g:piQAAOSwpZ5iTCFi&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0GyNIdnrrkFBhm%2FW9CVY5N0ciRra2tNI66Y0biYplsPTcTTsVhLI4J2uAJJFFQdyRWGSC7dfMS%2BTigGSa8yYTVhIfEGKqCoEocuw1Kq1NOoYDJ1c7UVSn9U%2BA8zXlkcjM8mUm2t6U8Iie%2FVsP6c8BbMKUxk2hJEScg3WlZCz%2FnyHWfEgODABjF%2B5mNW7pT%2BlgIXdwc7p5X1OUzKjGYYWNWsp53iePamqWU2mx39i%2FEALOLVY6nId5BGLFEA8mp01G9F0FBF%2BOui2CaPVBldk8tw%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8jiwK39YQ

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 2