The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

19 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I saw a recent story, that they had to clear the inhabitants out for a while, as they suspected Legionnaires was present...  Oops.

Yes, they kept stamping around all night, leaving sand everywhere...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

'How can I forget, sarge (sob).  Her name was Sandie!!!'.

Knew a Somali bloke who'd been a PT instructor in le Legion d'Etrangers.  Lovely guy, liked a beer and a putting-the-world-to-rights session up the pub, he was on the last plane out of Dien Bien Phu.  Wouldn't hurt a fly, probably the toughest man I ever knew.  One of my memories of him is the pair of us in stitches of helpless laughter talking about Tarzan, which he'd loved as a kid in Somalia (a truck would turn up every so often at his village with a genny, screen, and projector, and Tarzan was a favourite.  I was just a bit surprised that a kid who knew what crocodiles were because he had to watch out for them when he was collecting water would be fooled by the rubber one that Johnny Weismuller was alway wrestiling with...

• Funny 5

5 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

'How can I forget, sarge (sob).  Her name was Sandie!!!'.

Knew a Somali bloke who'd been a PT instructor in le Legion d'Etrangers.  Lovely guy, liked a beer and a putting-the-world-to-rights session up the pub, he was on the last plane out of Dien Bien Phu.  Wouldn't hurt a fly, probably the toughest man I ever knew.  One of my memories of him is the pair of us in stitches of helpless laughter talking about Tarzan, which he'd loved as a kid in Somalia (a truck would turn up every so often at his village with a genny, screen, and projector, and Tarzan was a favourite.  I was just a bit surprised that a kid who knew what crocodiles were because he had to watch out for them when he was collecting water would be fooled by the rubber one that Johnny Weismuller was alway wrestiling with...

In the Bond movie they used real Crocs!

And it wasn't a stuntman, it was a crocodile wrangler called Ross Kananga.

• Like 3

UNDERSTANDING RAILWAY MODELLING AND eBAY

I have never bought or sold any model railway items on eBay, but a recent conversation has helped my understanding of what it’s all about.  The scene is set in a model railway clubroom.

eBAY MODELLER “I have just won a bid on eBay for a 00 gauge 2-6-4 tank.  I have been watching it for a while.  Got it - quite a bargain - for just under thirty quid”.

ME “I thought you modelled in N Gauge?”

eBAY MODELLER “Yes I do, but just fancied buying the 2-6-4 tank”.

ME “Does it run? Let’s try it out on the test track.  I presume it is in analogue and not DCC”

eBAY MODELLER  “Yes, it’s in analogue”.

The locomotive fires up and hops jumps and skips around the test track.

eBAY MODELLER  “I think there must be something wrong with it”.  

ME “Maybe you should check to see if the wheels need cleaning, or maybe the pick-ups need adjusting.  Or it might even have an electrical connection problem”.

eBAY MODELLER “Hmmm!  I need to think about it.   Don't you have a mate who can fix locomotives?   What would it cost me to have him have a look at it?”

ME  “Not sure, but maybe around forty pounds plus parts”.

eBAY MODELLER “Forty quid!  Not paying that.  Think I will put back on E-bay and sell it.  After all there is not even a scratch on the manufacturer’s box it came in”. 

And that is my understanding of railway modelling and eBay  [Alisdair]

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

FB_IMG_1692311924588.jpg.0bd26f7235e942ab5872168d6789b8de.jpg

I know for a fact that isn't real because I was looking yesterday for restaurants on trip advisor and no shell garage appeared in their list.

Nice bit of cut & paste.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I know for a fact that isn't real because I was looking yesterday for restaurants on trip advisor and no shell garage appeared in their list.

Nice bit of cut & paste.

We've got a "Restaurant" review for a Shell fuel stop like that in Swindon as well. Turns out it's because there's a branch of Greggs tucked inside. The Bacon Rolls for £2.50 are well reviewed.😃

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ardbealach said:

UNDERSTANDING RAILWAY MODELLING AND eBAY

I have never bought or sold any model railway items on eBay, but a recent conversation has helped my understanding of what it’s all about.  The scene is set in a model railway clubroom.

eBAY MODELLER “I have just won a bid on eBay for a 00 gauge 2-6-4 tank.  I have been watching it for a while.  Got it - quite a bargain - for just under thirty quid”.

...snip...

I have gotten some very great deals on ebay; trains and non-train stuff. And, yes, once or twice I have gotten stuffed. But overall, I am pleased with my ebay experience.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, big jim said:

I follow “Justin on Eurostar” on Twitter, he gets one of his French collegues to announce British railway trips, todays is spectacularly good, let’s take a trip along the Cambrian coast…….

https://x.com/eurostarjustinp/status/1692553642803413348?s=46&t=_D0idSTEdpin4MyBN8ca4g

It just have to be a British train with the seats lined up with the window pillars. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Just imagine if they made car windscreens like that!

Have you seen the width of the pillars either side of a modern car windscreen, can easily lose cyclists and small cars at roundabouts and certain none 90 degree junctions with mine…..

• Like 3
  • Agree 8