The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

4 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

*dunno why they're called cashiers anymore, even my local Tesco only has card tills open in the evenings, you have to use the fag counter if you dare to use cash.

I regularly use cash for purchasing things like lunch, but my supermarket purchases usually run between $100 and $200 - not where I would choose cash transactions.  I did stop writing paper cheques at the supermarket many years ago - that transaction takes longer than anyone in the queue behind you wants to wait for.

Of course it is possible to purchase a small number of items at the register where cash would be suitable. Since the supermarket I use almost requires a loyalty card* anyway (just about every transaction is discounted with a loyalty card) cards are more convenient.

* I use one issued when the store opened. (It had previously belonged to a different chain.) It doesn't have all my details connected to it.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

*dunno why they're called cashiers anymore, even my local Tesco only has card tills open in the evenings, you have to use the fag counter if you dare to use cash.

I think it's a bit unkind to call the assistant working the tobacco area a fag counter! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I regularly use cash for purchasing things like lunch, but my supermarket purchases usually run between $100 and $200 - not where I would choose cash transactions.  I did stop writing paper cheques at the supermarket many years ago - that transaction takes longer than anyone in the queue behind you wants to wait for.

Same here, cheques aside (since I've not used those regularly for a long time indeed).

Talking of cheques I'm tempted to find the cheque book and keep hold of it for some place that says "no cash."

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

FB_IMG_17107096003232.jpg.99d7733947fc27b707bede739a92bcc8.jpg

'Johnson. Boris Johnson'.

'So, mistair Johnson, ve meet at last'.

'I, I, I, er, I, er'...

'No, mistair Johnson, I expect you to die!'.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2024 at 09:55, John Besley said:

I regularly convert Decimal currency to Stirling much to the amusement of my apprentice who has no idea what I am talking about - 'you are Soooo old'

How do you convert decimal currency into a Scottish city? I’d love to know. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

How do you convert decimal currency into a Scottish city? I’d love to know. 

Don't be silly, this is RMWeb - he's converting it into Scottish Locomotive engineers...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

FB_IMG_1710715222488.jpg.cdb44dd5e1a77b8e758ca39bb659a60d.jpg

The best thing was the ones who did it were next in line and got it far worse as they were tortured as well!

And the ones who were already dead were dug up and then executed again to make sure they were dead and couldn't go to heaven in one piece....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2024 at 09:55, John Besley said:

I regularly convert Decimal currency to Stirling much to the amusement of my apprentice who has no idea what I am talking about - 'you are Soooo old'

Do you mean that weird stuff they abandoned when i was at primary school?

On 17/03/2024 at 10:09, Hroth said:

Its like being weighed at the doctors and asking for your weight in kg to be translated into "old money"...

I use kg now as it is easier to read on my scales.

22 hours ago, melmerby said:

I'm vegetarian and have no problem with people cooking meat, I do find some BBQs rather unpleasant but that is usually the smell of the fuel being used.

I hate the smell of fish and always have done, even when I ate meat.

I have no issues at all with veggies, as they get on with life and usually like cheese.

Vegans however, they are too pushy and make sure everyone knows. And do not like cheese.

Fish, i dislike lots but cod is fine. Most smell horrible, as to sea bugs, they stink.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

FB_IMG_1710718408237.jpg.35de12a9a6a016d500669af6dc89e648.jpg

See they are so pushy, and worst of all, they ruin meals for veggies by getting cheese based food replaced with theirs.

Yes i know some veggies.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, MJI said:

Do you mean that weird stuff they abandoned when i was at primary school?

Worked perfectly well for hundreds of years. Changed before I was born but always felt like change for the sake of change to me. Personally I like it when different parts of the world have their own idiosyncrasies, including our own. Only need just enough utilitarianism to make things practical, more than that and it gets lifeless.

I use kg now as it is easier to read on my scales.

I need to have that converted to stone to get any feel. I wouldn't buy a set of scales that only had kilograms on them.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been thinking in terms of decimal currency, without having to mentally convert to LSD, since about five years after it’s introduction, but have never progressed as far with any of the other decimal system.  I can just about manage length ( just as well as I model in 4mm/foot scale), but flounder a bit with weight and volume.  I am of the view that decimal systems are easier to deal with mathematically and hence more sensible in principle, but visualising, say, 150 grams or 80 litres is beyond me.  

That said, I find similar difficulty with the American refusal to use stones when describing peoples’ weight and using lbs; I have to divide by 14 to make sense of it.  A measuring system should be intuitive in use, and many of them are not or at least have features that are not intuitive to The Johnster…

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't have many problems with imperial or metric if they are not mixed. The problem arises when calculating MPG where you have fuel measured in litres but distance in miles.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

57 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Worked perfectly well for hundreds of years. Changed before I was born but always felt like change for the sake of change to me. Personally I like it when different parts of the world have their own idiosyncrasies, including our own. Only need just enough utilitarianism to make things practical, more than that and it gets lifeless.

I need to have that converted to stone to get any feel. I wouldn't buy a set of scales that only had kilograms on them.

I prefer feet and inches as when its mm and cm folk tend to get the noughts in the wrong places and that includes my better half, bless her!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

To be honest whilst I can see why people say metric and decimal is simpler in principle (although arguably base 12 is a better choice than 10, although imperial units are in a variety of bases) in practice most people seem to find whatever they grew up with sufficiently usable, so the reality is that there's no particularly good reason to favour one or the other for that reason. Familiarity is a much more important factor, even if that leads to a mixture - I'm much prefer weight in stones, height in feet and inches, but have no feel whatsoever for temperatures in Farenheit.

I do find it telling that the people who push base 10-based units never seem to do so for time, and carry on quite happily with 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week... (stuck with 365 and a bit days in a year as hard astronomical fact though).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 minutes ago, Reorte said:

To be honest whilst I can see why people say metric and decimal is simpler in principle (although arguably base 12 is a better choice than 10, although imperial units are in a variety of bases) in practice most people seem to find whatever they grew up with sufficiently usable, so the reality is that there's no particularly good reason to favour one or the other for that reason. Familiarity is a much more important factor, even if that leads to a mixture - I'm much prefer weight in stones, height in feet and inches, but have no feel whatsoever for temperatures in Farenheit.

I do find it telling that the people who push base 10-based units never seem to do so for time, and carry on quite happily with 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week... (stuck with 365 and a bit days in a year as hard astronomical fact though).

Well, the French tried metric clocks and calendars. That didn't go well....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_calendar

Dear old Boney put a stop to that nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I've been a vegan for the last 35 years and a veggie two years prior to that.

However, this has not made me loose my sense of humour, just yet 😜

Never knew. As it should be. Don't you miss cheese?

The veggie I work with is addicted to cheese.

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Was needed as early computer systems worked in centipounds and converted for printing, I never understood it, and thought it was an adbomination.

41 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I have been thinking in terms of decimal currency, without having to mentally convert to LSD, since about five years after it’s introduction, but have never progressed as far with any of the other decimal system.  I can just about manage length ( just as well as I model in 4mm/foot scale), but flounder a bit with weight and volume.  I am of the view that decimal systems are easier to deal with mathematically and hence more sensible in principle, but visualising, say, 150 grams or 80 litres is beyond me.  

That said, I find similar difficulty with the American refusal to use stones when describing peoples’ weight and using lbs; I have to divide by 14 to make sense of it.  A measuring system should be intuitive in use, and many of them are not or at least have features that are not intuitive to The Johnster…

LSD, my centre is locking not limited slip.

My main use of imperial is of full sized railways.

Weights, I find kg easy, volumes, I know the size of 90l, 80l would fit in a tank internal dimensions of 400mm x 200mm x 100mm.

33 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I don't have many problems with imperial or metric if they are not mixed. The problem arises when calculating MPG where you have fuel measured in litres but distance in miles.

Width inside imperial, width outside metric, profile a ratio, sidewall a code. Tyres.

20 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

I prefer feet and inches as when its mm and cm folk tend to get the noughts in the wrong places and that includes my better half, bless her!

cm are evil, use mm

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

The alternatives are very good these days, Violife  being similar to processed cheese and my other favourite, Applewood Smoked is very nice indeed.  I think the 'smoked' flavour is achieved by using smoked paprika.  I haven't eaten 'real' cheese for so long that these are more than adequate to my taste.  There are loads on the market, I think the majority are made from coconuts.

Nearly as bad as American cheese....

🤮

• Agree 3