The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

And they became a handy defence weapon for conductors on a late Saturday night bus. 

I’m sure I could not possibly comment on similar situations on Valleys trains…

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Found this photo of the inside of the Michigan Central Depot in Charlotte, Michigan, USA, with a familiar looking painting on the wall.

The GWR really got around:

image.png.67c91d647d36088d198519c243f56e7e.png

• Like 12

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

And they became a handy defence weapon for conductors on a late Saturday night bus. 

…and conductresses! Some of ours could wield a mean Setright, if required. 

(Drivers used the fire extinguisher if necessary.)

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The bus conductor, and indeed the Johnster during his railway career (admittedly post-decimalisation) had the welcome assistance of one of the most ingenious, superbly ergonomic, and intuitive machines ever devised by human beings, an utterly reliable and perfect design that was nothing less than a work of genius, immensely satisfying to operate (you could almost play tunes on it) and it even sounded right!  I refer to the Setrite ticket machine, a reassuringly solid metal piece of pure joy as anyone who's ever handled one will testify. 

I agree that they felt right and, as you say, were “satisfying to operate” (once your trigger finger had toughened up). But they were of no use in calculating the cost of a multiple fare transaction. That had to be calculated mentally, as did the change owed.

Pre-decimal, they recorded a running total of the value of tickets issued in shillings and ha’pennies. More arithmetic calculation required when cashing up at the end of a shift, to see how close the amount actually collected was to what should have been collected and turned in. 

Edited by pH
Grammar
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm afraid it's a load of nonsense that decimal was easier and was nothing but a massive con. A lot of people became very rich from it and it still causes massive inflation. Same thing happened with the Euro. Thankfully we missed that one.....

Much worse was the introduction of VAT/GST.

You missed the Euro because the EU couldn't insist that you had to, contrary to the often quoted view that 'Brussels always imposed nonsense rules on us'!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John Besley said:

I also to anoy the office sometimes write up reports useing Roman numerals...

I must be odd...

Correct - indeed it is!

Edited by pH
  • Funny 3

19 hours ago, MJI said:

See they are so pushy, and worst of all, they ruin meals for veggies by getting cheese based food replaced with theirs.

Yes i know some veggies.

And then railway modellers go and complain about being stereotyped…

steve

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

"I'm a level 5 vegan. I eat nothing that casts a shadow" (or words to that effect) - The Simpsons 😎

im pocket mulching as we speak

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I really want to get away from muddled units like mph. The 'm' could be miles, minutes, metres...

Change everything to S.I. units. All road speed signs to be changed to metres per second.

I'm expecting very red faced splutterings from certain circles but it's mainly to wind up Jacob Rees-Mogg. 🤪

His Sedan Chair is probably exempt, anyway.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, pH said:

And, for station staff, there was the faithful Bardic lamp...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

And, for station staff, there was the faithful Bardic lamp...

The colour of the stars you would see when hit by one of those would depend on which filter had been selected at the time of use....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, pH said:

Or a Bardic 

(BTP told us that where we had raised our arm in self defence - the one holding the bardic - we got one free hit. So make it count! 
If you clouted the oik a second time then they may charge you with assault) 

Edit:Replied before I’d seen the other comments 

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

All road speed signs to be changed to metres per second.

No No No.

Good old imperial please - furlongs per fortnight☺️

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Or a Bardic 

(BTP told us that where we had raised our arm in self defence - the one holding the bardic - we got one free hit. So make it count! 

Edit:Replied before I’d seen the other comments 

Andi

If you'd hit them twice, the charge would more likely have been manslaughter!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Or a Bardic 

A dog handler in the police force,ooops, sorry  service I was in used the self defence plea

in court and got away with it ,

'he jumped up and I raised my arm as I thought he was

attacking me and he hit his head on the torch me your honour' .

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, melmerby said:

No No No.

Good old imperial please - furlongs per fortnight☺️

Red flag holder per shift, less stopping for regulated breaks.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

When my dad was on the buses one of the clippies used to hold the Setright by the straps. One Saturday night an oik tried to grab the cash bag. She done no more than swing the Setright hitting him in the face and he ended up in hospital with a fractured skull and jaw. She was charged with assault but was acquitted as some of the other passengers witnessed the oik trying to grab the bag. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 3

20 hours ago, Reorte said:

To be honest whilst I can see why people say metric and decimal is simpler in principle (although arguably base 12 is a better choice than 10, although imperial units are in a variety of bases) in practice most people seem to find whatever they grew up with sufficiently usable, so the reality is that there's no particularly good reason to favour one or the other for that reason. Familiarity is a much more important factor, even if that leads to a mixture - I'm much prefer weight in stones, height in feet and inches, but have no feel whatsoever for temperatures in Farenheit.

I do find it telling that the people who push base 10-based units never seem to do so for time, and carry on quite happily with 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week... (stuck with 365 and a bit days in a year as hard astronomical fact though).

Personally, I have a fondness for hexadecimal numbering, because that makes me just 42 years old! Ah, to be young again!

Mind you, if it means waiting until I'm 66 in hexadecimal to qualify for the state pension, then sod it, I'll stick with decimal!

• Like 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, The Sled said:

Personally, I have a fondness for hexadecimal numbering, because that makes me just 42 years old! Ah, to be young again!

Mind you, if it means waiting until I'm 66 in hexadecimal to qualify for the state pension, then sod it, I'll stick with decimal!

Octal, would be retired all ready.

Hex, not even in 40s yet.

• Like 2

The headmaster at my eldest daughters primary (who was aver good teacher and ran a quite tight ship & was well respected) hit this decimal lark on the head. He firmly believed that pre-decimal had to learn their tables properly. Think 12 (pence), 20 (shillings, 8 (1/2 crowns), 16 (ounces) 14 (lbs), 22 (ton), 3 (yards),  etc. He found that with decimalisation, the kids actually didn't concentrate so much (and aided by the early calculators coming on stream as well). I reckon he was right.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I did suggest to a Primary School teacher that all youngsters should be taught Darts, Dominoes and Cribbage as an aid to learning mental arithmetic and times tables.

She didn't take me seriously.

Pity

Regards

Ian

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1