RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

So disrespecting the millions that died for that flag is alright then.....

What flag? the flag of St. George is a RED cross on a white background.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Very friendly.  People round where I live will borrow your tv, iPhone, computer, just break in and take them, no need to ask.  And they’ll come right up to you on the street and ask you for money…

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

49 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

Mostly Harmless.

Plenty of nice green grass and water , well here in Devon as it hasnt stopped raining since September and that is all good as it keeps our reservoirs full.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Plenty of nice green grass and water , well here in Devon as it hasnt stopped raining since September and that is all good as it keeps our reservoirs full.

Of course the grass is green, the rivers are full of $hit!

Andi

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

image.png.24c3415d51334482c5157fe8b9ce8290.png

Is it any wonder? 😇

Of course when it got _really_ stinky for them sitting inside, something finally got done. Bazalgette etc.

On 24/03/2024 at 20:35, Sidecar Racer said:

volcanos.jpeg.99eda39a117024760035ff722a7a6169.jpeg

I had to explain why that was funny to a colleague in Marketing. It seems STEM subjects are optional there. The simplest and easiest-to-understand analogue I could think of was by way of a question.

Would small ice cubes be a good way to stop a large volume of very hot water?

You could see the light bulb gradually turning-on.

But then, just to check, I did look it up, the melting point of concrete (depending on the mix) is c. 1527 °C

Whereas the temperature of lava is what?  Oh dear, it turns out I'm not such a clever-clogs after all.

Lava that's on the cooler side comes out of volcanoes at only pizza oven-like temperatures of 570 F, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS). In the middle range of lava temperatures, the dark red lava often seen slowly crawling across parts of Hawaii , measures around 895 F. Mount St. Helens ejected material of a similar temperature, although this material flew from the mountain at 100 mph, according to USGS. However, once a volcano gets going, the mercury really starts to climb. Bright red lava flows in Hawaii can get as hot as 1,165 F, with the glowing orange flows getting hotter than 1,600 F, according to USGS. And when rock is seriously melting, such as the magma within the Hawaiian volcano of Kilauea , it can reach 2,120 F, according to USGS.

https://www.livescience.com/32643-how-hot-is-lava.html

It would have to be a small volcano (or perhaps far away?)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I had to explain why that was funny to a colleague in Marketing. It seems STEM subjects are optional there. The simplest and easiest-to-understand analogue I could think of was by way of a question.

Would small ice cubes be a good way to stop a large volume of very hot water?

You could see the light bulb gradually turning-on.

But then, just to check, I did look it up, the melting point of concrete (depending on the mix) is c. 1527 °C

Whereas the temperature of lava is what?  Oh dear, it turns out I'm not such a clever-clogs after all.

https://www.livescience.com/32643-how-hot-is-lava.html

It would have to be a small volcano (or perhaps far away?)

The problem won't be that the cement will melt, it's that you're trying to cork a champagne bottle that's got he pressure of tens of thousands of tonnes on molten rock behind it. You may temporarily stop an eruption, but when something finally gives it will have more pent up pressure behind it and hence more destructive energy. And your cement cork may survive intact to become a several hundred tonne projectile...

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Which sport?

The men's  record is held by Nepal, who scored 314-3 against Mongolia last year. Afghanistan made 278-3 against Ireland in 2019 while the Czech Republic posted 278-4 against Hungary later that year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68678670

It's cricket, but not as we know it Aggers .

Who knew that the Czech Republic and Hungary have cricket teams?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

The problem won't be that the cement will melt, it's that you're trying to cork a champagne bottle that's got he pressure of tens of thousands of tonnes on molten rock behind it.

That was the Mt Saint Helens eruptive mechanism. Internal pressure caused the north side of the volcano to collapse in a massive landslide. The resulting northward lateral pressure wave and pyroclastic flow was devastating. This was followed by the ash plume and a lahar formed of ash and (almost) instantly melted snow that thrashed down the Toutle River.

There was no substantial lava flow to speak of.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

datesagain.jpeg.b3492d4f22577d33cd70c83a012dd629.jpeg

Mummy!!!

Looking at that hand, may I suggest her final words were "And another thing..."?

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Or "How about this for a fart?" 😉

Even the Ancient Egyptians ate Baked Beans...

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1