The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

My wife is a keen cyclist, she's just bought a new Trek road bike for winter training (so her shiny fast Wilier road bike doesn't get covered in crud and salt).

There's a helpfull warning sticker on the outer front fork leg;

post-6749-0-35965600-1352981536_thumb.jpg

Only the forks aren't carbon, they're aluminium, as confirmed by this sticker on the inner part of the fork leg;

post-6749-0-08363800-1352981553_thumb.jpg

Methinks sticker guy got carried away...

• Like 9

Probably just informing you of the advantages of Aluminium over Carbon Fibre :scratchhead:

On the subject of Curry - I have always wondered why you have Chicken Curry, Beef Curry, Lamb Curry and Meat Curry. Perhaps we now know!

• RMweb Gold

Rick

For some reason whenever I see the word "Possum" my thoughts immediately turn to that fine Australian aristocrat Dame Edna Everidge.

Neil

edit Dave > Dame

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

my thoughts immediately turn to that fine Australian aristocrat Dave Edna Everidge.

ISTR that the great lady's alter ego, Barry Humphries, used to contribute to Private Eye? 40 years ago, he coined a number of wonderful expressions for throwing up:

Playing the whale

Parking the tiger

The great big technicolour yawn

Crying Ruth

Having a Hughie

Calling Bill

Other cultures surely enrich our own!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"The adventures of Barry McKenzie" IIRC. I had the complete set (published as a book) once; I may still have it but haven't seen it since moving house 6 years back. "Yodelling down the great white telephone" was another of his euphemisms. Barry made it into the movies, in two very silly films.

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have been rather too close to Mr Humphies / Dame Edna as I know his / her former dresser of many years. The stage persona and the man are quite different and while the former amuses and entertains the latter most assuredly does not.

But it was he / she who made famous the phrase "I've only come to get my legs waxed. possums" and referred to fans / audience as "possums " on a regular basis.

ISTR that the great lady's alter ego, Barry Humphries, used to contribute to Private Eye? 40 years ago, he coined a number of wonderful expressions for throwing up:

Playing the whale

Parking the tiger

The great big technicolour yawn

Crying Ruth

Having a Hughie

Calling Bill

Other cultures surely enrich our own!

Dame Edna was all too familar with her good friend Sir Les Patterson's * regrettable habit of regularly 'driving the porcelain bus' or 'laughing at the grass'.

* One time Minister for the Y'arts.

One hopes Dame Edna is comfortably at home in Moonee Ponds, Victoria with a vase filled with gladioli, a copy of 'Woman's Day' to peruse and one eye on the laundry hanging from the Hill's Hoist in the back yard visible through her venetian blinds.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Baby Magpie sheltering under our verandah during one of the recent storms we've had over the course of this weekend (7 so far!).

Gymnorhina tibicen is a very distant relation to what I believe is Pica pica, also known as magpies, to our friends on the old sod. The Australian Magpie is much more akin to a crow. (I've done my time being dive-bombed by the way! One liked to nest by the Sandy Camp Road level crossing on the Lytton branch line. He went after me more than once. ... many moons ago.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

Having travelled down from Paddington overnight, sleeping in the BFK back in the good old days of 1989, I cycled down through Boscarne and on to Wadebridge. Knowing the interaction between Cornish hills and a bike I was tempted to take up the offer in the top line of the sign.

post-9767-0-03993900-1353407950_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Got problem with 'ills 'av 'ee boy? ;)

Various similar signs always cause raised eyebrows around the area to this day among visitors unfamiliar with the name of the local river.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Got problem with 'ills 'av 'ee boy? ;)

In those days I lived in the Warwickshire flatlands and worked in Bedfordshire. I'd got my camping kit with me so carrying a bit of ballast.

I live in the Dark Peak now so Cornwall would be easy. Last week's quick road trip was only 20 miles but had 1600 feet of climbs.

• RMweb Premium

I spake with tongue somewhat in cheek as I know just about every hill in Cornwall. In my younger (fitter and good health) days I was able to say I had never ever been forced to get off and push including the ascent of the 1:3 at Millook Haven with a week's-worth of kit in the panniers.

'fraid I'm not up for it now thanks to the onset of a little middle age and a lot of very indifferent health taking a toll on my fitness.