The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

haggisherd.jpg.8332d8e4df363ca81bd9e96d18276f25.jpg

Yes, but the domesticated Haggis (plural Haggi) were a hybrid created by mating a left screw Haggis with a right screw Haggis. This resulted in them having legs of equal length as can be seen in the photograph. In the wild the left screw Haggi had the shorter legs on the left and the right screw Haggi the shorter legs were on the right.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I have to note that there is a definite similarity of appearance and expressions between the haggi and their (apparently sibling) owners.  And what a magnificent display of headgear!

Note that the male Haggi (right and centre in the photograph) are wearing bootees. For some reason this stops them making their mating call which has been likened to a cross between a piece of flinty chalk on a blackboard and an out of tune set of bagpipes.

• Funny 3

20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Note that the male Haggi (right and centre in the photograph) are wearing bootees. For some reason this stops them making their mating call which has been likened to a cross between a piece of flinty chalk on a blackboard and an out of tune set of bagpipes.

Well noted...

Of course, traditional bagpipes are made from the skins of wild Haggi, their calls might:

1. Have initially inspired the manufacture of bagpipes, to

2. Move the Haggi down from the hills by the hagherds.

Which explains why lowlanders find bagpipes (hagpipes?) distressing to listen to...

• Funny 3

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I have to note that there is a definite similarity of appearance and expressions between the haggi and their (apparently sibling) owners.  And what a magnificent display of headgear!

Some say : There are also similarities between Selkirk and Norfolk. Relatively isolated rural communities, with not a lot to do on long cold winter nights. When the wildlife starts to look attractive and worth cuddling-up to. Dare I mention some parts of Wiltshire and Wales as well?

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Note that the male Haggi (right and centre in the photograph) are wearing bootees.

Perhaps to keep them clean and tidy-like, ready for the annual Selkirk Agricultural Show and Championship?

The Best In Show award was highly prized.

That remind me, my wife once caused great mirth by proudly saying she'd won the Best Bitch In Show Award.

She did (of course) mean our female dog had won the award, but ...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

I have to confess I was worried at first, because there's a few well-known military sites near by.

Multiple people have reported hearing a large explosion near Oxford. Video and images taken from the A34 to the north-west of the city appear to show a bright flash shortly before 20:00 BST. Residents have reported power outages in Witney, Burford, Chipping Norton and Milton-under-Wychwood.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-66990100

But then ..

A statement from Severn Trent Green Power released just after 8.30pm on Monday confirmed a digester truck had been struck by lightning around 7.20pm. This took place at the Cassington AD Facility near Yarnton. The statement said: "We can confirm that at around 7.20pm this evening, a digester tank at its Cassington AD facility near Yarnton, Oxfordshire, was struck by lightning resulting in the biogas within that tank igniting. 

Boom!

Oxfordshire Police have warned people not to try this at home. Especially, do not try eating large quantities of beans and then igniting your own biogas with a lighter.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I have to confess I was worried at first, because there's a few well-known military sites near by.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-66990100

But then ..

Boom!

Oxfordshire Police have warned people not to try this at home. Especially, do not try eating large quantities of beans and then igniting your own biogas with a lighter.

Proof that god doesn't want us to recycle!

• Funny 4