Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, melmerby said:

Did you know that there are 13 Nasa spec Hasselblad Cameras on the Moon?

They only brought the film packs back.

I see the logic in that, probably to save the weight on lift-off from the moon; even with the moon's much lower gravity thirteen Hasselblads could make a difference.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

probably to save the weight on lift-off from the moon;

Yes

33 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

even with the moon's much lower gravity thirteen Hasselblads could make a difference.

Not all 13 in one mission. There were six missions that landed - so likely not more than 3 left behind per mission. (I'm surprised it's more than two per mission - there were only two astronauts at a time.)

Three lunar rovers were left behind and they had television cameras, in addition to the six LM descent stage/landers, not to mention Alan Shepard's golf balls.  There's a lot of stuff up there.

I had forgotten that five S-IVB (Saturn V top of stack) were intentionally crashed for seismology experiments.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes

Not all 13 in one mission. There were six missions that landed - so likely not more than 3 left behind per mission. (I'm surprised it's more than two per mission - there were only two astronauts at a time.)

Three lunar rovers were left behind and they had television cameras, in addition to the six LM descent stage/landers, not to mention Alan Shepard's golf balls.  There's a lot of stuff up there.

I had forgotten that five S-IVB (Saturn V top of stack) were intentionally crashed for seismology experiments.

The men in the moon must think we're a right bunch of litter louts.😄

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I see the logic in that, probably to save the weight on lift-off from the moon; even with the moon's much lower gravity thirteen Hasselblads could make a difference.

Isn't it to do with the weight on re-entry, it has to be right for splashdown in the right area. Apollo 13 command module was underweight on earth return because they didn't collect any lunar material, and had to ballast with items from the lem.

Underweight means overshoot, overweight means undershoot.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I can't read the article as " I am not a subsciber" but I would suspect he he would have been standing on the part of the yacht that hit the ocean floor😀.

Still he was going to build a replica of the Titanic, so I guess this just may have been "practice"😊.

Lovely fellow our Clive.....not!!😇😇.

Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, ikks said:

I can't read the article as " I am not a subsciber" but I would suspect he he would have been standing on the part of the yacht that hit the ocean floor😀.

Still he was going to build a replica of the Titanic, so I guess this just may have been "practice"😊.

Lovely fellow our Clive.....not!!😇😇.

Mike

Sorry couldn't find a free version of the story - but save your subscription money to The Age for Clive!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

My son has just had to give up his chosen path because of fallen arches 

It can be a real problem for an athlete.

So they tell me. I know it's a real problem for an architect.

Edited by CameronL
Typo
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
On 15/10/2023 at 23:23, Ozexpatriate said:

Three lunar rovers were left behind and they had television cameras

AFAIK the very first colour TV camera was a monochrome one with a rotating colour filter on the front.

Very much Logie Baird type colour, as IIRC he tried that on his mechanical TV system.🙂

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave's American, chaps!

As in, 'Madeira' cake as a pun for ' my dearer' (dearer meaning more expensive in this context, because it's £3 not £2) cake.  Possibly a usage of 'dearer' not common in the US, and a bit archaic here, the sort of thing my grandparents' generation might have said but I reckon most Brits would understand the joke.  That's not to say we'd think it's a good joke, of course, but we'd understand it.  I think Australians would as well.

Divided by a common language!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Dave's American, chaps!

As in, 'Madeira' cake as a pun for ' my dearer' (dearer meaning more expensive in this context, because it's £3 not £2) cake.  Possibly a usage of 'dearer' not common in the US, and a bit archaic here, the sort of thing my grandparents' generation might have said but I reckon most Brits would understand the joke.  That's not to say we'd think it's a good joke, of course, but we'd understand it.  I think Australians would as well.

Yes, commonly available in Australia, although I don't recall buying one. It's unlikely my wife would like it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Possibly a usage of 'dearer' not common in the US

Not used in that context colloquially in the US at all. Words like 'pricey' / 'pricier' or even 'spendy' might work, but not 'dear'.

Similar to a "fine" day. Not used to mean "sunny" in the US. "Fair" might be used instead.

That's not to say we'd think it's a good joke, of course, but we'd understand it.  I think Australians would as well.

Yes. Dreadful pun.

Yes. Australians 'get' it. Certainly used regularly by older Australians.

Yes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, commonly available in Australia, although I don't recall buying one. It's unlikely my wife would like it.

I meant the use of 'my dearer' with dearer meaning more expensive as well as a rather poor pun on Madiera, not the lower hemispherical general knowledge of the existence of Madeira cake and it's common antipodean availability.  Unless of course you mean that your wife would object to paying £3 instead of £2 for my dearer cake, and who could blame her in these straightened times.  This is getting a bit surreal now...

I'm quite partial to a nice slice of Madiera, my dear, but not if it's too dear.  Oh dear!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1