RMweb

Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

I don't like the sound of the pre-order problem.

I've got 3 locos on the same pre-order with Hattons, a Bachmann H2, Bachmann E4 and a Dapol B4.

They were only ordered 4 months ago.

Should i cancel them and reorder them all separately.

Thanks,

Jim

• RMweb Gold

If you do cancel (to avoid the dates for your second and third locos being reset when the first arrives) I would suggest only cancelling two of the locos, then at least you retain your original order date on one of them.

Thanks, a good point.

I need to contact them, you only seem to be able to cancel complete orders online.

Jim

I would give them a call. Before they set up the "collect in shop" system, I contacted them and they arranged to hold a limited edition advance order for me to collect. I've always found them helpful. I think my message(I tnink I emailed) was passed to Richard Davies, who is now the MD, but I'm not certain. I'm fairly sure he called me back - it was quite a while ago.

Edited by antrobuscp

Hi All, 

I've just had a online chat (easier to do at work) with a nice lady at Hattons.

I asked about the "quirk" with their system.

She went away to check and said:

"I have spoken to our IT manager and our business development manager who confirm that your order won't be pushed down the queue once your first item comes into stock"

I asked if it was a problem that had been fixed.

She said: "I'm not sure to be honest, it is a complicated system, but I believe our business development manager will address this with the editor of RMweb to clear up the confusion"

So hopefully somebody will be in touch with Andy Y to clarify things.

I've left my order as it is at the moment.

Jim

Edited by JimHearne

• RMweb Gold

I too have had a dose of the rejected credit card syndrome within the last couple of hours. The onus has been put upon me to sort out a problem that is not mine.....there is nothing wrong with the card....as has been the case with countless others.

I have e mailed them telling them they have a problem and that they know they have....that the problem is theirs,not mine,and the onus is on them to sort it out.Why on earth must they shift responsibility onto their customers ?

I too have had a dose of the rejected credit card syndrome within the last couple of hours. The onus has been put upon me to sort out a problem that is not mine.....there is nothing wrong with the card....as has been the case with countless others.

I have e mailed them telling them they have a problem and that they know they have....that the problem is theirs,not mine,and the onus is on them to sort it out.Why on earth must they shift responsibility onto their customers ?

Unfortunately people including myself have time upon time told them they have problems with their computer software, nothing however changes which is evidenced by recent comments, the only way their management will sit up and take notice is when they receive numerous cancelled pre-orders, I think Hatton's need reminding we can look elsewhere, there are plenty of other outlets/suppliers in the UK  !!!!! 

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

I have just received an apology from Hattons.The item is now 'out of stock' ( surprise ).They apparently had 'two cards on file' both ending in #### ?? and the card when processed had 'too many digits' (sic!).It has now been 'changed back' so we get 'the correct amount of digits' and will end in #### for when the item is next in stock and the card is processed.. Are you with me so far..yes/no?

The first card was defunct in August 2012 as a result of The Signal Box cc 'mishap'. It did not end in ####. This present,unfulfilled, order is post that date and the updated card was quoted on the order.

Am I correct in thinking that something is badly amiss here ? I sincerely hope that there is not a security issue due to system error or mismanagement.I don't doubt the integrity of Hattons for one moment....but ,after the above experience with the late lamented Signal Box,I am not amused or impressed.

I have read the recent posts with curiosity.  My own experience with Hattons pre-orders has been excellent.  I've had credit cards on file expire while waiting for pre-orded items to come into stock and each time I have received a timely and polite email from a member of Hattons staff informing me of such and asking me if I could update my card information so that they can charge my card and ship me the items.  I've simply logged into my Hattons account, updated the card info and sent a short email back to Hatton's to tell them I've taken care of it.  No muss, no fuss.

It is (or at least it was, certainly within the past 12 months) possible to only cancel part of a pre order and leave the other items pre-ordered at the same time alone.

From the preceding posts it's clear others have had some problems but I have not and I've frankly been quite pleased with Hattons customer service.

Matt

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have read the recent posts with curiosity.  My own experience with Hattons pre-orders has been excellent.  I've had credit cards on file expire while waiting for pre-orded items to come into stock and each time I have received a timely and polite email from a member of Hattons staff informing me of such and asking me if I could update my card information so that they can charge my card and ship me the items.  I've simply logged into my Hattons account, updated the card info and sent a short email back to Hatton's to tell them I've taken care of it.  No muss, no fuss.

It is (or at least it was, certainly within the past 12 months) possible to only cancel part of a pre order and leave the other items pre-ordered at the same time alone.

From the preceding posts it's clear others have had some problems but I have not and I've frankly been quite pleased with Hattons customer service.

Then I pleased that you have.Until this week,my reaction would have been identical to yours.Had you experienced the same confused and illogical response as I did...especially over the sensitive issue of credit card process,then your reaction would have been identical to mine.Incidentally,my experience is not unique ,at least on this forum.Unless the problem is appropriately dealt with....and there IS a problem...then Hattons will acquire a tarnished reputation.Which is sad.

Matt

If you select your pre orders, you can indeed cancle individual items.

if you select all your orders you can only cancel an entire order.

Actually it now seems that selecting orders or pre-orders gets you to the same order page (via a different route) which does have links to let you remove individual items from that order.

Not sure if i missed the remove buttons before or they didn't appear on the different web browser at work.

For the moment though i'm going to trust what i was told and leave all 3 pre-orders on the same order.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

The curse of Yodel strikes again.  I asked for my parcel to be delivered to my work address and I find they send it Yodel instead of Royal Mail.  Hence they tried to deliver the parcel 2 hours after we close.

Guess I need to give them a call in the morning and ask them to put on my account DO NOT USE YODEL.

Day 2 of an attempted - and failed - out of hours delivery.  I phoned Hattons this morning and apparently they have no way to put notes on your record that you do not want them to use Yodel.  I am sure I can't be the only person who isn't home during the day and has no alternative option than to use the work address.

You also can't phone Yodel as there is no way to speak to anyone, just a computerised service that doesn't give you an option to actually talk to someone or even arrange to pick it up from the depot.

If my next order comes via Yodel - despite me telling them not to use it for my parcels - then that'll be the last order Hattons ever get from me.  I will be ringing them tomorrow and inform them that I expect a refund of the delivery costs for the inconvenience caused by the delays arising from their choice of courier (not mine - I asked for Royal Mail 2 day service not Yodel 24).

Apparently after I have placed my order online I could phone them (at my expense) and ask them not to use Yodel but what's the point of providing an online service when the obvious "delivery notes" field is missing.

Edited by cromptonnut

Forgot to update that my parcel finally arrived Friday lunchtime - just several days later than it should - with advice from Hattons to specify that I do not wish them to use Yodel somewhere in the checkout process despite my invoice stating "Royal Mail 2 day".

It seems to be "luck of the draw" - if your parcel is picked before mid afternoon it goes in the Royal Mail collection, if later then it may get put in the Yodel collection which apparently collect about 8pm as the warehouse is still open packing orders (or, in my case, hopefully, left until the next day's Royal Mail collection.  I'd rather wait the extra day than go through this chaos again.

I shall give the another chance although having just placed my order for a sound fitted Thumper from Kernow, it may well be quite some time before I am able to place any sort of significant order anywhere.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, have used Hatton's dozens of times over the last few years and always had excellent, prompt service. This time, it was over 3 days before my order was "picked", meaning it arrived whilst I was away for a few days. Fortunately, it was Royal Mail, so I was able to collect it easily. Anyone else had extended time before "picking"?

Hmm, have used Hatton's dozens of times over the last few years and always had excellent, prompt service. This time, it was over 3 days before my order was "picked", meaning it arrived whilst I was away for a few days. Fortunately, it was Royal Mail, so I was able to collect it easily. Anyone else had extended time before "picking"?

I rarely get my order picked the same day, it is usually the following day, occasionally the day after that.  The longest was four or five days when they order consisted of around 10 different items.

• RMweb Premium

At one time if I ordered in the morning, and sometimes in the early afternoon, whatever the size of the order in terms of number of items, it always seemed to be picked, packed, and sent off that day. This now no longer happens, and hasn't for me for a considerable time, a year or two. It is at least the next day before they even think of picking the items however early the order is placed, and often another before it is packed and sent. Still reasonable service, just not as quick as in the distant past. However, to my mind the biggest benefit is their real time stock level guide, so you know when you order whether any item is in stock and you'll actually get it, which generally offsets for me, the now longer delivery times, although I do now tend to use my local dealers much more so I can see and test what I'm buying.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

'My local dealers'....how fortunate you are.

Yes, I agree, although these are between 30-40 miles away in opposite directions, but 'local' in my terms having been the only dealers around in my area for as long as I can remember (quite a few decades).

Izzy

I too have noticed the delay from placing my order to it being "picked and packed", this too me appears to have occurred in the last 4 months, at one time I was paid on Friday, placed my order by dinner time and the items were with me by the following Monday. As stated still a good service but just not as fast.