Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

That implies that they want to send it out that same day and if they've missed their Royal Mail cutoff time then it goes by Yodel. Maybe it would help if those insisting on Royal Mail were to add "if necessary hold this until tomorrow before despatching by Royal Mail" or some such wording.

I have in fact used the box on their order website page for specific requests...including once saying "Please do not use Yodel". It did not make a scrap of difference.The package still came via Yodel.Hattons are very good....but they are what they are....

All my orders with Hattons have been placed by telephone (not website) and delivered by Royal Mail as requested = 100% success rate.

Agree with this I have always done the same without any problems, my local postie ( who is also a good friend brings me quite a few parcels and is excellent.

That said I've just received a small packet of couplings from a Romaian supplier, ordered last week and arrived safe and sound at an unbeatable price (Roco close couplings).

Further to that a loco ordered from a supplier in Cheshire took 10 days to arrive ( sorry Royal Mail not very efficient this time) send first class signed for!

Three further orders for German loco's two from Germany and one from deepest Spain sent DHL all tracked by me on line as separate orders arrived at the stated time (earlier that stated) each one took only four days.

So, ya takes your choice and hope for the best.

Happy festives to all in the parish and enjoy your modelling

That implies that they want to send it out that same day and if they've missed their Royal Mail cutoff time then it goes by Yodel. Maybe it would help if those insisting on Royal Mail were to add "if necessary hold this until tomorrow before despatching by Royal Mail" or some such wording.

My ill fated order was placed at 0158 Z Thu 11 December and did not leave Hattons until 1032 Z Sun 14 December 2014 so ordering in the morning perhaps does not hold with this. In addition, although the festive period quite a long time to process the order ( Class 128 and a few wagons so not a large parcel). The more I ponder the more annoyed I am becoming. However, will not spoil my Christmas as there WILL be a parcel arriving in the New Year! Thank you all as well for your supportive and informative messages.

Every order I've had from Hattons has arrived via Royal Mail - I tick the box. In addition, of late (some while back when this discussion of other carriers was raised), I have added in the comments box:

"USE ONLY ROYAL MAIL

leave in parcel box by door"

Seems this works for me then!

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I think that these courier firms struggle to grasp that they will be busy this time of year.Having said that Hattons sent me a parcel by Citylink on Tuesday and it came yesterday morning.Only charged £4 postage.Excellent all round.

I've had three orders from Hattons this month (having never bought from them before). Not knowing the horror stories about Yodel, I selected them for the first order, but they sent it by City Link in two boxes. The box with most of the stuff arrived next day, but the long box with the yard lengths of track in didn't arrive. The driver assured me he was delivering box 1 of 1. Various e-mails flew back and forth, and it turned out that the bar code on the label had been wrapped round the edge of the box, and hadn't scanned properly. City Link were back next day with it, as they had it all along.

The next two deliveries I chose Yodel, as SMS notification was offered, and I assumed that meant I'd be texted when it was due to arrive, so I could make sure I was around. I think I forgot to put my mobile number on the first order, so didn't get anything, and on the second one I got a text from Hattons telling me it had been delivered, which I knew already! The last order was done online last Sunday evening, shipped on Monday, and arrived Tuesday, so Christmas didn't disrupt it. Maybe as West Wales is one of the poorest regions in northern Europe, no one can afford to buy Christmas stuff, and the couriers aren't extra busy!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've always been well served by Hattons. Anything I've ordered has been delivered promptly and they do have some cracking bargains. Therefore I really have nothing negative to say about them.

I think the courier issue is much wider than Hattons. I've recently had bad experiences with John Lewis, a store which is supposed to be at the high end of the retail market and which plays on a reputation for quality of service. M&S have had some high profile failures. I've started having bad experiences with Amazon despite having had nothing but positive experiences from them for over a decade.

The problem then may be woth couriers but the retailers also have a big problem as notwithstanding the fact they are responsible for fulfilling their orders they are suffering real damage to their reputations as a result of failures in delivery. The problems may very well be with the delivery company but to the customer it doesn't matter, it is the retailer who is responsible for fulfilling their orders. Whether or not the issue is with City Link (now in administration), Yodel, Hermes or whoever does not alter the perception that ordering becomes higher risk. Certainly I have dropped using John Lewis on-line and am probably not going to order anything other than books and discs from Amazon going forward.

So, whilst I do not blame Hattons for failures by Yodel, I do think they should monitor feedback on couriers and act, and certainly where a customer selects Royal Mail then Hattons should deliver via Royal Mail.

Christmas Eve, get a knock at the door. Its Canada Post delivering two boxes from Hattons that I had ordered after the December 9th deadline that they advertised on their site. Only one of these was a present that I had forgot to order earlier. So glad that Hattons got it picked and shipped as quick as they did, and also happy to Canada Post for getting it to my door in time!

Edited by jsp3970
  • Like 6

Brilliant full marks to Hattons, two model engines bought s/h on 19th and 20th Dec delivered perfectly intact this morning in NZ to my door on the 27th, congested airports, customs overload, no problem, thankyou Hattons.

It is an LMS Garratt 7983 and a GWR 2-8-2T 7202, A K1 bought the next day (22nd) still en route, for what it's worth. But very pleased with the order process, packing and Royal Mail/NZ Courier Post. Actually I have had faster from Hattons, slightly, but not with Xmas and a weekend thrown-in!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Christmas Eve, get a knock at the door. Its Canada Post delivering two boxes from Hattons that I had ordered after the December 9th deadline that they advertised on their site. Only one of these was a present that I had forgot to order earlier. So glad that Hattons got it picked and shipped as quick as they did, and also happy to Canada Post for getting it to my door in time!

I'm really impressed. Well done and Merry Christmas! It gets a bit flakey out in the Boonies.

• 2 weeks later...

Thumbs up for Hattons!

Ordered a couple of locos and a handful of diecast cars for the station car park on Saturday afternoon, parcel arrived Monday afternoon.

Delivery was by Yodel, completed by one of their self-employed delivery persons.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thumbs up for Hattons!

Ordered a couple of locos and a handful of diecast cars for the station car park on Saturday afternoon, parcel arrived Monday afternoon.

Delivery was by Yodel, completed by one of their self-employed delivery persons.

Ditto.

I didn't order until Saturday evening.

Was at work today but delivery wasn't until 6:30 by yodel chap in his own car.

Things with Yodel do go wrong and it's these that 'make the news' but I'm guessing that it's quite a small % of overall deliveries. No consolation for those who are affected though.

Edited by BoD

Bachmann NR 150/2 ordered 14:16 on 24/12/14 - didn't expect delivery until the new year - packed 10:23 Sun 28/12/14 - delivered by Yodel 12:50 29/12/14.

Thanks to Hattons and Yodel.

This  is  a  common  occurance............... Yodel  pick  up from  Hattons  Sunday PM  and    deliver  Monday,  I dont  think  any other retailer in  our sector can  match this service. 

Which is  more  than  can  be  said for  another  company who  are  quite  big in  the  trade  who had a discount off everything  sale between   xmas & New year,  I ordered  £300 pounds  worth on  the Sunday  28th Dec  supposed to be  next  day  dely   so  I expected  it on Tues 30th Dec  It  did not  arrive until YESTERDAY Jan 5th  and  it  was not  the  carriers  fault!

Edited by Stevelewis

Just noticed that Hattons are starting to quote prices for supplying and fitting DCC and DCC sound decoders into pre-owned locos. Think they need to refine their systems as they are offering to upgrade some locos to DCC when they are factory fitted. Also some "sold as seen" non-runners may need more than the £27 charge for supplying and fitting a decoder?

Hattons  are  very  appreciative  of  feed  back,    they  welcome  receiving  information which will  help  them 'edit' errors  and  misinfo.  easily  achieved using  the 'Chat' system on their  website  They  call it  can  we  help, but in  this  case  its  more  like  WE can help!!

Edited by Stevelewis

Just noticed that Hattons are starting to quote prices for supplying and fitting DCC and DCC sound decoders into pre-owned locos. Think they need to refine their systems as they are offering to upgrade some locos to DCC when they are factory fitted. Also some "sold as seen" non-runners may need more than the £27 charge for supplying and fitting a decoder?

Noticed that this morning. Had to laugh with the extra 27 quid for installing DCC on a non runner. Was wondering how much extra it would cost to get them to get it to run!

• 2 weeks later...

Two Austin 7s. Recommended price £14.95 for the car and £13.95 for the van. £15 each at my local model shop 20 miles away. Hattons' price now £13 each but £12 for the van last month. What would you do? Spend over 2 hours on a return bus journey and another 1/2 hour walking to save my local shop or spend 15 minutes on line with Hattons?

post-17621-0-69440700-1421403256_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just throwing this out there.

A few months ago, 2 car blue/ grey class 108 DMU showed as a bargain for 59 quid with more than ten in stock. Then (just as I'm about to order one!), it disappeared from the website as no longer available.

It has reappeared today as a "bargain" for 108 pounds...

"Back in stock"?

Edited by DropTheTap

• RMweb Gold

Just throwing this out there.

A few months ago, 2 car blue/ grey class 108 DMU showed as a bargain for 59 quid with more than ten in stock. Then (just as I'm about to order one!), it disappeared from the website as no longer available.

It has reappeared today as a "bargain" for 108 pounds...

"Back in stock"?

Every store you go into does exactly the same thing all the time, the only difference is that it is a bit more obvious with Hattons, presumably due to the limited range of stuff they have relative to say Tesco or Debenhams or whoever, and as a hobby you will tend to look at the same things regularly and with more interest than baked beans or marg, so we spot them.

If it is cheap and you want it and can afford it, then buy it. The price can change at any time. Hornby do it on their website, as do Amazon (who change the price by your location, what else you've looked at and all sorts of things by the hour apparently). And £59 is a bargain isn't it? My guess is if you keep watching it will come down again at some point if they don't shift. Before going back up. It drives interest and variety as well as selling stuff.

I would say as a bargain hunter who trawls the bargain aisles, quite a few of Hattons "bargains" are just a few quid off. More a price reduction than a bargain! Just ordered a "bargain" that I think had gone up in price in the 2 days it took me to get around to ordering - it was the last one though. I have no complaints, my own fault for being tardy. What I would say is personally I'd like more discount on their 4 or 8 units of things (e.g. OTA's etc) as buying 8 gets minimal additional discount. But that's me. Again a personal view not a complaint.

Having just ordered for the first time, I was stunned to get an email telling me the name of the lady picking my order, and a link to the staff page so I can see her. How good is that? Impressed. :locomotive:  I guess Amazon decided not too as the stressed out hamster expressions of their slave driven stock pickers wasn't a good look! :jester:

There are a couple of other retailers who do offer some stonking bargains, but you have to trawl the small print of their ads to find them.

I placed an order with Hattons this afternoon and noticed when I went to checkout that the only £4 postage option was via Yodel.

As my preferred courier is Royal Mail I thought I'd give them a call to see if this was possible.

The helpful chap I spoke to informed me that it maybe to do with the weight of the parcel, (My order weighs 2200 grams) and therefore would cost more than £4 with Royal Mail.

Perhaps this is why despite stipulating Royal Mail on previous orders, they have been despatched with other couriers?

I have just ordered an Oxford maroon Austin 7 and an Austin 7 Lipton's van with the dot against Royal Mail and instructions to send them by Royal Mail and not by any other courier. In my picking list packed email it says that they are being sent by Yodel. This is a pity because I will be out tomorrow so I will have to stay in my flat all day on Monday to sign for it. If Hattons had sent it by Royal Mail and I was out I could collect it from the sorting office which is ten minutes walk away.

I have sent an email to Hattons asking them why they have sent them by Yodel and not by Royal Mail as requested.