Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

Sadly - for Hattons as much as for me - more Yodel tales of woe here......

Order placed last weekend. Usual Hattons efficiency in getting the order processed, packed and out the door. Unfortunately now Yodel seem to have lost the package as their tracking information still says "Awaiting Collection" (i.e. from Hattons). All past experiences of Yodel have been bad for me. Equally as bad have been City Link. On this occasion these were the only two 'standard' delivery options for me - kind of Hobson's choice! Yodel's excuse for the lack of information/delivery?..... 'they have had a sudden increase in the use of their services' ! If I failed to 'deliver' in my job just because there was a 'sudden increase in the use of my services', I would be out of a job very quickly! 

I feel sorry for Hattons in all this, they have been informative and helpful throughout but this sort of incompetence from the couriers must cost them a fortune, if only in time taken for them to call Yodel, send me additional emails etc etc.

Around here (and I know other people have other experiences in their own areas) Royal Mail cannot be faulted. They have never lost anything, never broken anything, never left a parcel out in the rain so that the contents were ruined (both Yodel and City Link have done that to me) and usually meet or exceed the stated delivery times.

As a contrast to this frustrating situation, I placed a similarly sized (i.e. weight) order with KMRC on Wednesday afternoon at about 2pm. It qualified for free standard delivery, using Royal Mail. Less than 24 hours after placing this order it arrived at my house! I wasn't in at the time so they took it to my local Post Office from where I was able to collect it later on. Maybe I am 'spoilt' by such rapid order processing, packing and delivery as this and shouldn't expect it all the time, but I must say that Royal Mail (and KMRC with their equally rapid turnaround) do seem to achieve this level of service most of the time.

I have in the past made a specific request with Hattons that Royal Mail are used and to their credit they have suggested that they will try to accommodate any such requests in the future but its too late for the current situation!

My tales of 'Yoe' continue ...... to cut a long story short Yodel attempted delivery on Tuesday - only seven days late for their '24 hour' service - and allegedly left the parcel, which was a 'signature required' consignment, "behind car" (to quote the card I eventually found). Only that when I returned home from work there was no such parcel and if there had been it would have been soaked through due to the heavy rain flowing down our drive! So they ignored the instructions Hattons gave them to leave it with a neighbour, and just abandoned the package out in the open, exposed to the elements (I assume - unless they actually took it back with them) without obtaining a signature! 

Hattons are still trying to find out from Yodel what has happened and why they didn't follow the instructions or obtain a signature - good luck with that. Meanwhile I have asked for a refund as most of the order items were gifts that I now need to be posting off elsewhere so I have had to make alternative arrangements. Very frustrating.

At the same time, and slightly off-topic so I apologise, an order I placed with Hornby the same weekend (Black Friday sale) as this Hattons order was also nowhere to be seen. This however was due to Hornby's despatch and warehouse problems though as it hadn't even been despatched, until yesterday that is, after I emailed them earlier in the week to find out how much longer it was going to take. I received quite a rapid (for Hornby) reply and UKMail collected the package yesterday, sent me a message last night to say they had done so, and another text message and email this morning to tell me that it will be delivered between 9AM and 10AM. The guy turned up at 9AM on the dot  - this always happens with UKMail. This is how it should be done Yodel! Informative, efficient and reliable.

• Like 1

t experience of Yodel in generally OK, they did get one parcel lost and it arrived two days late. Maybe I've been lucky, but my local agent provides a first rate service. I had one from Hatton's switched to Royal Mail after I requested Yodel, that disappeared for 8 days even though it was tracked. Best service from a courier that I have had recently was from DHL. Purchased a camera for my sons birthday from SLRhut in New York(£300 cheaper than buying in UK with UK duty paid.) Express tracked service was charged at £19.95. Collected from shop early afternoon on a Wednesday, it was with me by 13:00 Friday and I knew exactly where it was every step.

• Like 1

All very  strange   I  have  deliveries  regularly  via  YODEL  from  HATTONS  on a  Saturday, Ii  placed  one  yesterday (FRIDAY  DEC 19th)  and   checking  the  tracking  details  it  is  out  for  delivery  today  this  is  a  usual  occurance!  

Lucky you, I ordered some non rail items 3 weeks ago (on next day delivery) and I am still waiting.

They were 'delivered' the next day but not to the right address and they were signed for by a name neither I or anyone else around here recognises.

edit-

Maybe this post should be in the Yodel thread and not this one?

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

2 x Pipes ordered Thursday morning, arrived yesterday via the GPO (or whatever it's called these days)

No complaints from me!

steve

Royal Mail....my preferred choice too.....and I agree. The thing is though that I specify Royal Mail delivery because we use a Mail Collect service at our local sorting office ( for a variety of reasons,security being one of them ) Hattons go on blithely using Yodel whatever I may select on my order.

I have not yet suffered an " episode " with The Carrier That Dare Not Speak Its Name apart from individuals who whinge about having to climb the steps up to the house.I am currently running a competition for the most original remark.Most of the whingers seem also to be heavy smokers.....but that as they say is another story.

• Like 1

One order (4 items) placed Thursday night. Packed in 2 parcels @ 10:20 Friday morning. Parcel 1 (1 item) delivered Saturday from Yodel's Borehamwood Depot.

Parcel 2 (3 items) tracked on a totally different route and last seen at Wednesbury hub @ 09:07 Saturday - A new take on Black Country Blues me thinks.

I wouldn't normally specify Yodel but a Saturday slot was important this time. I can be patient but can imagine parcel 2 being thrown over my fence (like my Gaugemaster controller) or left out in the rain with driver having signed for it himself (as with a Bachmann C class - the original pretty green one) and no message on my doormat when I get home.

Anyway. we'll see what happens. In the meantime, a little note to Hattons explaining the situation with an added message to the effect that their own reputation (which i would always defend) can be tarnished by their choice of courier as an extension of their own "customer care package".  

​Now to source some alternative pressies to guard against potential embarrassment on the 25th.

(A usually laid back) RP

• RMweb Premium

Yodel seems to be either very bad or very good according to your local deliverer. The low cost couriers are certainly cheap, and they're really winning market share, I've stopped buying from John Lewis on-line as I had a couple of dreadful delivery experiences, they're using Hermes and based on my experience they make Yodel look positively high end.

It  does  depend  on  the  locall situation, If the  couriers  are OK  the  system  works.

I have  despatched  10 items  via  HERMES in the last week  all were  collected on time  from  me  and  delivered within 3 days  in various  parts of the UK  INC  Northern Ireland.

One item  would  have  cost  in  excess  of  £16.00 to post via Royal Mail insured  for  only £50. ( Next day would  have  been  arounf  £22) it  went  for just less than  £10 with  Hermes  insured  for  £250.

I agree this  should  be  moved to  the  Yodel  thread

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From today's e mail from Hattons.

Merry Christmas from Hatton's
As the end of the year comes into sight

We can all sleep well this Christmas night

Parcels packed and on their way

Delivered by post, not by sleigh

We've had a great year, but one thing is true

We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you

So Merry Christmas from your Hatton's Team

We'll see you again in 2015

• Like 5

Lucky you, I ordered some non rail items 3 weeks ago (on next day delivery) and I am still waiting.

They were 'delivered' the next day but not to the right address and they were signed for by a name neither I or anyone else around here recognises.

edit-

Maybe this post should be in the Yodel thread and not this one?

Yodel tracking.....parcel delivered 1447 Z 16 Dec 2014......Nil arrival.....Call Hattons after no show and check with neighbours and search of area (been reading previous incidents)!

No card through door to say parcel left.....5 calls to Hattons who eventually get a reply from Yodel 1545 Z 23 December 2014 after finally interviewing the driver. Informed the driver returned to my house today and informed the company that he delivered the item to a 60 year old gentleman with his wife in attendance at the door. All lies as at home all day and incorrect information. £200 order missing and no Christmas presents. Not Hattons fault and very supportive but not good enough! 

I placed on order on Monday 15.53 and van man knocking on door 7.03 am next door. It seems the lottery is where you live and the depot that you are served by. Hattons have the ability to hurt the bad performing companies by removing them as delivery agents for their company. I thought this was how the private sector worked - unless of course you in banking.

• RMweb Gold

Yodel tracking.....parcel delivered 1447 Z 16 Dec 2014......Nil arrival.....Call Hattons after no show and check with neighbours and search of area (been reading previous incidents)!

No card through door to say parcel left.....5 calls to Hattons who eventually get a reply from Yodel 1545 Z 23 December 2014 after finally interviewing the driver. Informed the driver returned to my house today and informed the company that he delivered the item to a 60 year old gentleman with his wife in attendance at the door. All lies as at home all day and incorrect information. £200 order missing and no Christmas presents. Not Hattons fault and very supportive but not good enough!

Insist....your legal right.....on a full refund or complete fulfillment of order vid Royal Mail. Hattons ARE responsible and should be held to account.Another thought...inform your credit card company .They will take the matter up with Hattons and refund your expenditure .

Hattons seem obsessed with Yodel and this does reflect on their reputation.No one need accept this upsetting nonsense.I sincerely hope it doesn't upset your Christmas too much and that you reach a better conclusion .

• RMweb Premium

Great service this week from Hattons and to be honest, they have always been very good for me.

Complete mess with a delivery going to work with City Link - the parcel arrived the day after, with lots of chasing etc. Throughout Hattons were very supportive and sent replacement free of delivery.

City Link just showed an incompetent level of service, admittedly at a time when they are probably stretched. Very similar story to one of the Yodel ones above.... Signed for at number 79 (no), by Ball (no), lost in depot - Yes. (All delivery companies are as useless as the next)

But in that, I place no blame with Hattons.

Insist....your legal right.....on a full refund or complete fulfillment of order vid Royal Mail. Hattons ARE responsible and should be held to account.Another thought...inform your credit card company .They will take the matter up with Hattons and refund your expenditure .

Hattons seem obsessed with Yodel and this does reflect on their reputation.No one need accept this upsetting nonsense.I sincerely hope it doesn't upset your Christmas too much and that you reach a better conclusion .

The semi conclusion to this event is that Hattons are going to put in an insurance claim form with the Company. They will eventually send me the items to me (hopefully  they are still in stock) but cannot do this until it is signed off by one of their Directors. Not good enough, and they should of been proactive yesterday and sent the items out again yesterday and bitten the bullet. The items would of arrived today if sent out by special delivery. The more I ponder the more annoyed I am becoming. Next time I will insist on Royal Mail or Parcel Force delivery in the special request in the order. Although not Hattons fault at first they are the company that are providing the goods and are responsible for the end service provider for the delivery of the items.  The outcome of this event though is still no present and a let down for Christmas..

• RMweb Gold

A common theme I see throughout this thread in recent weeks is that even if you say you want your parcel delivered by Royal Mail, Hattons will not always do so. That IMO is a breach of your contract with Hattons, so if it goes wrong, then it is definitely Hattons you should chase irrespective of the details of what exactly went wrong.

• RMweb Gold

A common theme I see throughout this thread in recent weeks is that even if you say you want your parcel delivered by Royal Mail, Hattons will not always do so. That IMO is a breach of your contract with Hattons, so if it goes wrong, then it is definitely Hattons you should chase irrespective of the details of what exactly went wrong.

Quite correct. I have posted on the Royal Mail/Yodel choice being ignored a short while ago. Do not accept what Hattons are telling you.Your c.c. provider is your next step. Also you might contact your local Small Claims court for some information. Definitely try to stop their c.c. payment or get it refunded to you.Hattons are blinding you with nonsense.

• Like 2

Hi

I have ordered lots of stuff from Hattons and have always ticked the Royal Mail option, But i have had thing arrive with Yodel.

The first time i had them send it by Yodel was when the Bulldogs where being sent out, That one was a bit of a nervous  one.

I found if you order in the morning you get it by Royal  Mail and later by Yodel,So far I have had no problems.

Darren

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Gold

I found if you order in the morning you get it by Royal  Mail and later by Yodel,

That implies that they want to send it out that same day and if they've missed their Royal Mail cutoff time then it goes by Yodel. Maybe it would help if those insisting on Royal Mail were to add "if necessary hold this until tomorrow before despatching by Royal Mail" or some such wording.

• Like 2