Hornby restaurant coaches?

darren01

Not sure about the 'Laura Ashley' curtains but otherwise a superb model.

43692085161_364a482f5c_z.jpgP1080332am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

42789277085_d80b564eee_z.jpgP1080331am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

43692085231_03a5db6425_z.jpgP1080329am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Particularly like the lead balance weights on the corridor side. Don't need to worry about the curtains - I shall be blocking those windows to convert it to a Kitchen-Buffet.

• RMweb Gold

"Bolections"  -  a new word learnt.   (Being ignorant, I would have just said "moulding", now I have a word to flummox my Architect nephew - their education nowadays just doesn't cover such things.)

A moulding is often a decorative treatment to cover each of the panel joins, which often gave further scope fr embellishment. A bolection is something vital, as it is a picture frame moulding fixed from the outside to hold the fixed window glass in position.  

I only learnt the word through RMweb. I think a chap was building an O Gauge coach. Larry takes my understanding a stage further, thanks. 

• RMweb Gold

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2251/entry-21129-sr-restaurant-coaches-arrive/

I'm less bothered by the lack of lining on the olive one than the grey roof, makes the white ones look FAR too clean, so that's another job.....

Except, Tim, that restaurant cars were inserted into steam stock sets as required, so the degree of greying on the roof could indeed be different from the rest of the set. I agree that white rooves are a trifle fanciful after more than half an hour of steam haulage, but the grey isn't actually out of place on this vehicle within a set.

• RMweb Premium

Particularly like the lead balance weights on the corridor side. Don't need to worry about the curtains - I shall be blocking those windows to convert it to a Kitchen-Buffet.

Nice idea but do check the doors situation.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Except, Tim, that restaurant cars were inserted into steam stock sets as required, so the degree of greying on the roof could indeed be different from the rest of the set. I agree that white rooves are a trifle fanciful after more than half an hour of steam haulage, but the grey isn't actually out of place on this vehicle within a set.

Yes, aware of that, it's just me being a bit OCD about it ;

• RMweb Premium

Not seen a pic of one in with Bulleids yet. WOEML, up until about '61/2 I think it was, an example could be found  on a couple of services IIRC? CBA to go and check so shoot me down in flames if I'm talking carp. 

P

Good morning Robert,

so, what train are you modeling there?

Unusually for me, nothing in particular. The RF and an open second are cut into the middle of 6-car set 273 which in 1959 was allocated to Waterloo-Southampton Terminus (Cowes service). 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not seen a pic of one in with Bulleids yet. WOEML, up until about '61/2 I think it was, an example could be found  on a couple of services IIRC? CBA to go and check so shoot me down in flames if I'm talking carp. 

P

The Hornby one, S7946S, was booked to the 12 Noon SO from Ilfracombe to Waterloo in the Summer of 1961 I understand.

Unusually for me, nothing in particular. The RF and an open second are cut into the middle of 6-car set 273 which in 1959 was allocated to Waterloo-Southampton Terminus (Cowes service). 

I received one of these last week, the southern version, it seems a more common type than the BR version. I haven't decided what to do with it yet, probably some sort of remodeling or repaint. I seem to have misplaced the information on the carriage I was interested in, there is a strong possibility that the livery as supplied may be correct, which was part of its attraction. Fortunately, Hornby has listened to advice and ditched the opaque white windows that look a bit silly on their other Maunsel carriages, though it is easy to remove the white paint/ink with the right product. The curtains in the saloon of the Restaurant Car will certainly be removed in this manner.

• RMweb Gold

I received one of these last week, the southern version, it seems a more common type than the BR version. I haven't decided what to do with it yet, probably some sort of remodeling or repaint. I seem to have misplaced the information on the carriage I was interested in, there is a strong possibility that the livery as supplied may be correct, which was part of its attraction. Fortunately, Hornby has listened to advice and ditched the opaque white windows that look a bit silly on their other Maunsel carriages, though it is easy to remove the white paint/ink with the right product. The curtains in the saloon of the Restaurant Car will certainly be removed in this manner.

It may seem the more common type, and might well have been so in certain areas, but it doesn't appear that  it was overall.

Going by the numbering details listed under the layout sketches in Gould, there were 26 RFs built to Diagram 2651 (including S7946S S7861S) and just nine to Diagram 2656 (including 7869). 

I'm presuming that Hornby are planning a similar future diagram / livery switch-around with these coaches as they have done with the cattle wagons?

Incidentally, what is the "right product" for getting rid of the unwanted white stuff please?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

It may seem the more common type, and might well have been so in certain areas, but it doesn't appear that  it was overall.

Going by the numbering details listed under the layout sketches in Gould, there were 26 RFs built to Diagram 2651 (including S7946S) and just nine to Diagram 2656 (including 7869). 

I'm presuming that Hornby are planning a similar future diagram / livery switch-around with these coaches as they have done with the cattle wagons?

Incidentally, what is the "right product" for getting rid of the unwanted white stuff please?

John

I Afternoon John,

I thought the BR version was S7861S?

I have successfully removed the white toilet windows with this stuff, it will strip all the paint off a Hornby carriage if you so wish. It is very fast and very friendly to the environment and thus the user. Like any product I would advise testing first.

http://www.biostrip.co.uk/paint-stripping.html

Edited by Headstock

• RMweb Gold

Indeed it is.  It's Hatton's who are incorrectly describing it as S7946S.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/337796/Hornby_R4817_Maunsell_kitchen_and_dining_car_S7946S_in_BR_green/StockDetail.aspx

Just as they are quoting the Olive Open 3rd as 1400, which is what we got last time. I think Hornby say it is 1375. 

I wonder if there is a commercial opportunity here for one of the well-known and respected transfer companies to produce a special-to-type sheet of lining for the SR version of the restaurant coach (among others)?  I appreciate the lining would be very fine and therefore highly fragile, but not beyond the bounds of possibility, perhaps. Who knows?

Edited by olivegreen

I Afternoon John,

I have successfully removed the white toilet windows with this stuff, it will strip all the paint off a Hornby carriage if you so wish. It is very fast and very friendly to the environment and thus the user. Like any product I would advise testing first.

Is 25 litre enough ?

• RMweb Gold

I Afternoon John,

Thanks for the correction and info re paint stripper. Should last a while... :jester:

Indeed it is.  It's Hatton's who are incorrectly describing it as S7946S.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/337796/Hornby_R4817_Maunsell_kitchen_and_dining_car_S7946S_in_BR_green/StockDetail.aspx

Maybe 7946 is the September one ............ ? ...........................

( My 7861 should be here any moment ! ............. spoke too soon without checking : it's supposedly already in the building - now how long before it reaches the ninth floor ? )

Edited by Wickham Green

No, but I do wonder whether in this era of exotic and rare prototypes making it into 4mm RTR, whether we might one day see one?

Possibly. I certainly don't want to paint a half timbered version.  :no: 

But it'll be when I buy a set as one is definitely on my radar. That's how it works right? As I bought two Kirk kits for the Restaurant Cars just before these were announced after being after them for ages.

I'll still get a couple of these to go with my Hornby sets and build the Kirk ones as the rebuilt cars and put them in sets of matching Kirks.

Jason