Pig Lane or should it be "I am sorry"

Clive Mortimore

After attempting a couple of large layouts in the attic, and the "discouragement factor" kicking in, I had virtually given up the idea of getting a layout anywhere near completion. This was until I saw Clive's layout Pig Lane in Model Rail and decided to build something more manageable myself. I've now almost completed a diesel depot set in the 60's and in the midland region. I can still only aspire to Clive's modelling skills, but it gave me the impetus to get something done.

Thanks very much Clive.

Regards,

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Clive, I've just re read post #44 and it now makes so much more sense, I will have a re look at Kingsley and follow your example of studying the Prototype, although the one I looked at was at Exeter St Davids, very very simple and easy to copy.

Cheers for your input on Kingsley.

Bodge :sungum:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Really like the photos and I agree with all the above comments. It would indeed seem like you started a trend, with this layout.

Although I'm a dyed in the wool steam man, I must confess that I do have a couple prototype of diesels which I couldn't resist.

I like a good layout, and when I see one and will stop and admire good work of any type, no matter what type of a trains are running.

Good workmanship is always worth watching.

Why follow the path, when you can create a trail.

Great stuff.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Pig Lane Diesel Depot was built in the late 80s early 90s and was scrapped when I started to build Hanging Hill. The base boards were falling apart, it was the third layout that they had supported and were never that well made in the first place. The baseboard top was the side of a tall cupboard my first wife no longer wanted in our flat's kitchen. It measured 66 inches by 19 inches. I designed Pig Lane using good old Peco templates and a few locos to check siding lengths and clearances. This series of photos were taken by my good mate Ian Metcalfe for an article that appeared in the then supplement of Rail, Model Rail in April 1995.

I was sorting through some magazines in the loft today and found that edition.  The layout still looks really good, even 23 years later.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apparently the hobby has moved on since Pig Lane.

No one makes anything anymore, they wait each year for the new wishlist, hoping there enough other bods wanting the same thing as themselves. The biggest thing as far as I can tell is how complicated you can make you locos go backwards and the other way. Mustn't forget how to fit the speaker.

I am so glad I did modelling when it was modelling.

Chip chip everyone.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Apparently the hobby has moved on since Pig Lane.

No one makes anything anymore, they wait each year for the new wishlist, hoping there enough other bods wanting the same thing as themselves. The biggest thing as far as I can tell is how complicated you can make you locos go backwards and the other way. Mustn't forget how to fit the speaker.

I am so glad I did modelling when it was modelling.

Chip chip everyone.

Hi Clive,

there's still a few of us about!  I'm currently scratch-building 3 cl303 emu's, to be followed by a cl120, cl126 and cl100 dmu's!   You can see my progress, such as it is, on my scratch and kitbuilding thread, Roja's EM bits and bobs!

I also modify wagons for use on a future layout, currently working on a pair of Tri-ang trestrols, a weltrol and

tierwag.  Plans are in-hand to build a cl84 from scratch.  

Not bad for some-one who can only use one hand!

Toodle pip!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just re-read the thread. I think Pig Lane really captured the feel of a small depot of the type built in the early 1960s. Hard to believe those nice locos were built in the days when RTR diesel modelling was not far removed the Triang Hymek era

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hello Clive,

Just found your posts on Pig Lane and revived my memories of the 1990's.

I'm Kevin of Pfretops fame and still modelling and detailing Diesel Locos.

My current layout is based on Woburn Sands, which is the station I went to school from in Bletchley for 7 years.

Pretops, my diesel depot layout, was sold by my soon to be ex-wife without my knowledge circa 1994!! if anyone can confirm it ended up in a good home please do let me know - I still have all the wiring diagrams for the baseboard connections lol.

Kevin20200618_172328.jpg.c2376145e4cc623152b806bc4b8ccd2a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LightningBoy said:

Hello Clive,

Just found your posts on Pig Lane and revived my memories of the 1990's.

I'm Kevin of Pfretops fame and still modelling and detailing Diesel Locos.

My current layout is based on Woburn Sands, which is the station I went to school from in Bletchley for 7 years.

Pretops, my diesel depot layout, was sold by my soon to be ex-wife without my knowledge circa 1994!! if anyone can confirm it ended up in a good home please do let me know - I still have all the wiring diagrams for the baseboard connections lol.

Kevin20200618_172328.jpg.c2376145e4cc623152b806bc4b8ccd2a.jpg

Hi Kevin

Glad to see you are still modelling. Growing up in Bedford catching the train to go to spot some sparks at Bletchley the mock Tudor buildings along the line, like Woburn Sands were familiar.

I cannot believe what happened to Pretops.

Clive

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2021 at 13:34, 97406 said:

Ooh, I do like your shed! :)

Thank you Tim

When the layout fell apart the shed building was passed on to a mate of mine. I am not sure if he still has it.

If you look at Brisbane Road thread I built a very similar shed and you can see how I went about building it. That too is with another mate, with the layout.

Hanging Hill had a four road version. I scrapped that one when I started to make Sheffield Exchange Mk1.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 year later...
On 13/10/2012 at 16:16, Clive Mortimore said:

For those who do not have an interest in small sized diesel depots, I am sorry but this was one of the early ones to be built, exhibited and published, so I am partly responsible. Little did I realise the number that would be built after it.

Pig Lane Diesel Depot was built in the late 80s early 90s and was scrapped when I started to build Hanging Hill. 

This series of photos were taken by my good mate Ian Metcalfe for an article that appeared in the then supplement of Rail, Model Rail in April 1995.

Look what I found yesterday!

image.thumb.jpg.ac0278733314e28caaeab97e91195929.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1