The next Ixion loco - what do you want?

81A Oldoak

An Avonside might go down well, since there were a few of them over in Australia and a few copies were made by other companies.

I am worried about it being too similar to the 0-4-0 Manning Wardle. But then again, people who buy little industrial locomotives do tend to collect a small fleet of them.

Another totally off the wall idea - the Metropolitan / Beyer Peacock 4-4-0T. Supplied new to not just the Metroplitan, but the District, LNWR, Midland and LSWR, and later sold to the Cambrian, West Somerset, Mersey and Nidd Railways as well as extensive sales to various collieries and industrial concerns. The Met locos survived into the 1930's, whilst at least one Cambrian tank received its GWR number, and one is preserved. That's at least ten different liveries, without the industrial contingent. (and there's the Cambrian tender version!)

If you are after voume sales it needs to be something that lasted into BR days and GWR models usually sell well so the safe choices would probably be a 14xx or a 57xx but there have been a lot of models of these including the Tower Brass ones. Perhaps you should be a little braver. A GW Manor would be a brave choice because the price would be a bit higher but at £1200 for the Sang Cheng model you should be able to come in a lot lower and there are quiite a few about on preserved lines. Alternatively a small 0-6-0 for one of the other railways might be a good bet. A J69 which could be offered in GER, LNER and BR liveries is an attractive model (this from a GWR modeller!).

Pondering these thoughts shows one of the difficulties the GWR was standardised and the same locos appeared all over the system, whereas the other three groups were an almalgamation and a lot of stuff was only common in one area.

Don

PS A Dean Goods had a long life and wide route availability

The 14XX has been mentioned as number 3 loco on the Dapol release list.

Don't forget a plastic tender loco is nearly twice the tooling costs of a tank loco however if you can do a tender that can be used in other models then it becomes a slightly different story (end of trade secrets ;) )

from the re-run requests I get 4F is a good choice, Bachmann one in brass is long gone and was not the best, and less said of the previous plastic one. After that 4MT tank & Crab, the J94 I wouldn't :no:

John FSB

• RMweb Premium

Are you still looking for an Australian connection as both the Hudswell Clarke and the Manning Wardle were both used 'Down Under' and that is where 2/3 of the Ixion directors are based - or are we now looking just at what might be appropriate in UK.

In that case how about a Baldwin 2-6-2T in O16.5 - used in France in WWI, in Wales (Penrhyn) after the war and then Australia (and one example now repatriated back to France again).

Another totally off the wall idea - the Metropolitan / Beyer Peacock 4-4-0T. Supplied new to not just the Metroplitan, but the District, LNWR, Midland and LSWR, and later sold to the Cambrian, West Somerset, Mersey and Nidd Railways as well as extensive sales to various collieries and industrial concerns. The Met locos survived into the 1930's, whilst at least one Cambrian tank received its GWR number, and one is preserved. That's at least ten different liveries, without the industrial contingent. (and there's the Cambrian tender version!)

Funny you mention the old Met 4-4-0...

i000026d.jpg

- Metropolitan Railway A Class

320px-DSCN1006.JPG

- NSW Government Railways 12 class

Arhs_1301.jpg

- NSW Government Railways 13 class

They bear something of a family resemblence... don't you think?

If we were really dreaming, I would wish for a Bressingham/Baddesley Colliery 0-4-0 + 0-4-0 Garratt. Small, but very tasteful. There were four of them built (I think), and would be at home in many an industrial setting. Granted, there would be a very significant up-lift in price, but I would certainly be there for one.......

Well - you did ask!

Garratt Industrial Loco William Francis 5/3/1967 by John Wiltshire

If we were really dreaming, I would wish for a Bressingham/Baddesley Colliery 0-4-0 + 0-4-0 Garratt. Small, but very tasteful. There were four of them built (I think), and would be at home in many an industrial setting. Granted, there would be a very significant up-lift in price, but I would certainly be there for one.......

Well - you did ask!

http://www.flickr.co...66457/lightbox/

Now that does look interesting ... :)

If I may add my voice; I'd agree that keeping the 'Industrial' link would be a good idea - a Peckett or such like would be perfect, possibly what might be an idea dependant on interest & costs associated (I'm no expert) but two industrials a Steam locomotive (such as Peckett, Hawthorne Leslie, etc) and a Diesel Mechanical locomotive (Fowler, Ruston, etc) that way you sort of can capture twice the potential interest as I am sure there are equal numbers of people not only interested in steam but also diesel.

The Metropolitan 4-4-0t however does have me drooling somewhat... I'll get my coat :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

Go off the wall and do something interesting, practical and fun - a crane tank. You pick the right type, all the industrialists and everyone who wants something " a bit different" for that shunting plank will take notice. Personally I think the Dubs tank would be perfect; but equally a Robert Stephehson & Hawthorn tank engine like the Foxfield's Roker would fill that ideal.

I think I'm also right in saying crane tanks were exported abroad too, no?

Don't forget a plastic tender loco is nearly twice the tooling costs of a tank loco however if you can do a tender that can be used in other models then it becomes a slightly different story (end of trade secrets ;) )

John FSB

My thoughts entirely so being that most GWR locos at some time were pulling a 3,500 gallon Churchward tender behind them, when can the 2215 class go into production then :mail: ;) .

They are a very popular loco so sales should be good, surely a better bet than some of the more obscure loco's mentioned so far.

ATB,

Martyn.

Well - you did ask!

http://www.flickr.co...66457/lightbox/

I think this is too obscure, but there is a lovely rear view colour photo in the current Steam World - November 2102 on page 16-17 at Baddesley colliery.

Paul Bartlett

I think this is too obscure, but there is a lovely rear view colour photo in the current Steam World - November 2102 on page 16-17 at Baddesley colliery.

Paul Bartlett

They plan well in advance. Can we have a preview, as I am not sure I will be around at issue date.

I would like to suggest an RSH like the one on the following website www.wrlpg.com

We had one of the Hudswell Clarke loco's on our layout at Shildon exhibition last week. The feedback was fantastic. If someone was selling they would have sold out! We had a few offers for ours over the weekend!

If you could do a RSH as good they will be extremely popular

All this is like saying "how many balls of string does it need to reach the moon?" Answer 1 if it is long enough. When you pose a question like what loco would you like next? your likely to get too many different answers as to confuse.Everyone has their own agenda, so it makes sense to look for a gap in the market like a small industrial diesel such as the RH 48 Ds currently not available in kit form, whereas locos like the J94, Peckett, Jinty, 22XX etc., are.

Mike :scratchhead:

!4xx, Dean Goods, Ivatt/BR 2-6-2 and the LTSR 4-4-2 have all been good suggestions, and i must admit i would be tempted by most of those. On the diesel front Class 22 would be good but beware, Dapol may have plans for that.

How about something different - a Wickam trolley, possibly with additional trolley for extra pick up if the lighter weight of such a model makes that advisable. There are lots of variations/liveries so with clever tooling a whole series would be possible. A lot of layouts could find an excuse for one.

I suggest something small(ish), long-lived and not currently produced (or promised) by anyone else. Ideally a pregroup engine that lasted into BR and so can legitimately be turned out in pregroup, group or BR livery to give maximum bang for bucks. That narrows it down a bit. To narrow it down further, I suggest something from the LMS or LNER catalogue. Objectively something like a GE Buckjumper might be the answer. Of course, personally, I'd prefer something designed by Mr Robinson. The C13 tanks were dashed handsome creatures, and lasted till the late 50s...

If you want to do a tender engine a Barton-Wright L&Y 0-6-0 would be nice. (Nearly as nice as a J10). Again, long lived engines that lasted well into BR days and which wouldn't look silly on a six wagon train to Muddleborough-on-Slush.

Archived