• RMweb Gold

Hi there. Progress has stuttered over the last few months for various reasons and I've been armchair modelling. I'm in the UK at the moment supporting my wife, who's dad has just passed away, but when I get home I'll do a proper catch-up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone, thanks very much. Well I'm back in Canada now and I've had some time to get some things together so that I can show you what I've been up to. As I say I've been armchair modelling, but in my case this has generally involved the computer as it means I don't have to get out and put away a lot of modelling materials. I've a few things to show, so I'll start with the least likely.

I want to start putting together coaches again, so to warm myself up I've been looking at Great Northern wagons. Using the drawing program Inkscape to draw up a GN fruit van I've tried to do something different to my previous thoughts, and that's to use tab and slot construction. The 1mm card I've used for the walls means that the tabs and slots produces a very strong, and square wagon. I'd really have to try hard so mess up the building of one of these.

Here's the drawing I've put together

post-14192-0-89540000-1478758479_thumb.jpg

And some build photos. Most of the parts I cut into 1mm board, but the "metal" parts were done on a label to make it easier to apply, and the roof parts on Shredded Wheat box card. I've a bit more work to do on the "metal bracing" parts.

post-14192-0-80735400-1478759782_thumb.jpg

The bracing on the ends slides through slits. The outer two have large tabs that then sit against the inner end bracing which keeps the ends square, the two laminated layers square, and stops them from falling inwards

post-14192-0-89087900-1478759784_thumb.jpg

You can see how it works below - the larger tabs nestle up against the inner ends which are themselves locked in with tabs and slots.

post-14192-0-52019700-1478759785_thumb.jpg

Slots in the top of the inside bracing allow me to insert the clerestory sides

post-14192-0-13936000-1478759786_thumb.jpg

And below is the wagon with Mike Trice's topedo vents and a buffer temporarily pushed into the holes in the cereal packet roof and board ends.

post-14192-0-81086400-1478759786_thumb.jpg

There are a few details missing, but I'm pleased with how it's gone together, and I could kick it across the room and it wouldn't break!

Here's a photo with a previous version undercoated.

post-14192-0-63999500-1478760726_thumb.jpg

My aim is to use some MJT W-irons etc to create the chassis, and to cut the axleboxes and springs in the card (maybe)

And finally, I thought I'd try some letters as I had a little bit of space on the board. :)

post-14192-0-84563200-1478759783_thumb.jpg

Edited by JCL
  • Like 8

Brilliant.  I like the approach you appear to take, thinking about the best medium for any task, rather than trying to make one medium the solution to everything.

I wonder if an Ivatt re-built B3 is on the way at some stage?    

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone, there were a number of GNR designs based on this theme, so it would be possible to do these by adding and removing louvres and changing the doors to sliding. The wonderful Basilica Fields website has a photo if the clerestory type van, this time for fish and with sliding doors.

https://basilicafields.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/quirky-queries-5-gnr-18%e2%80%b2-vans-for-perishable-traffics/

Edited by JCL
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant.  I like the approach you appear to take, thinking about the best medium for any task, rather than trying to make one medium the solution to everything.

I wonder if an Ivatt re-built B3 is on the way at some stage?    

Ah, my B3 precedes me. I pushed out this loco for Dave/Chris P Bacon while Shapeways had their free postage offer going (they seem to do this two or three times a year). It was a rush but we got it in OK.

My Shapeways order showed up at the weekend and this was in the box. Unfortunately, it's their second go, because they somehow managed to print the first one too small (by about 3mm), and as tolerances are very slim, this made a huge difference. Anyway, this one looks good and the chassis fits.

I'm going to wait for the outcome of Dave's build before I do anything with this as there'sbeen quite some talk about how to motorize it. I'm hoping that Dave will do two chassis at the same time just to make sure, but I fear that my suggestion down the pub the other day fell on deaf ears. :(  I'm just happy right now with how it's come out, and the best bit is that there is next to no cleanup on this one. This version is the straight Stirling with Stirling cab, no dome, and no springs either side of the smokebox above the running plate. The extra space in the larger sandboxes in this version is also welcome for a bit of lead maybe as many of them were taken away by Ivatt in the rebuilds.

post-14192-0-75069600-1478824254_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to wait for the outcome of Dave's build before I do anything with this as there'sbeen quite some talk about how to motorize it. I'm hoping that Dave will do two chassis at the same time just to make sure, but I fear that my suggestion down the pub the other day fell on deaf ears. :(  

Cor blimey mister gives us a minute.....I should have something to post shortly just waiting for the iPhone picture elves  :pardon:

Given the challenge of getting the weight of a 2-2-2 to sit on the driving wheels without immediately transferring to the carrying wheels as the loco tries to pull or push, the possibility of a very unconventional drive system springs to mind. Driven rear (and front?) carrying wheels with the "drivers" lightly sprung and merely going along for the ride????

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh go on Chris, Mablethorpe is crying out to be modelled, and this is a beauty.

post-14192-0-89270700-1478895367_thumb.jpg

Somewhere I have a note of a couple of loco numbers that plied their trade around the Lincolnshire Loop.

That said, I've seen a lot of Cambrian models knocking around recently. I wonder if there really is an upsurge of people modelling pre-grouping of if it's just a case of noticing more as I've started doing it myself.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Oh go on Chris, Mablethorpe is crying out to be modelled, and this is a beauty.

attachicon.gifIMG_4028.JPG

Somewhere I have a note of a couple of loco numbers that plied their trade around the Lincolnshire Loop.

That said, I've seen a lot of Cambrian models knocking around recently. I wonder if there really is an upsurge of people modelling pre-grouping of if it's just a case of noticing more as I've started doing it myself.

Jason,

Mablethorpe, umm.  It could be an end to end and a roundy roundy all at once.  I would have to re-learn all the railway practise I have learnt so far, and can you imagine how long it would take me?  It must be like watching grass growing following my thread.

When I started modelling the Cambrian all there was to build were some coaches from Peter K, a loco which was beyond my capabilities, two kits on their way from Cambrian kits, and that was it.  Now, there are two Shapeways locos, and maybe another soon, a set of 4 wheel brass kit coaches with probably six wheelers appearing sometime, and a brass loco coming soon.  On top of that there are A. C. Stadden's figures, (yes he has 1860s 0nes on pre-order), so I feel that 'my cup runs over'.  Completely unbelievable.  3D printing has helped tremendously.

Now I really like Britannias, and 9Fs and Spam Cans, but why would you want to model a time period when they were on their last legs and railways were in decline when you could model railways in their heyday? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't spend any more money at the moment, but I'm covering those figures. The labourer ones would look great in a field, though a photographer one would be nice too to justify them standing around.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A change of tack (as it were), and I've literally put the cart before the horse.

My family are farmers on my mum's side, and the last time I was in Lincolnshire I went to the museum of Lincolnshire Life in Lincoln. My mum pointed out a cart that was similar to one my granddad owned. Since then I've managed to find some plans in, wait for it, Montana, and last night I thought I'd photocopy them and see if I could put together a 4mm scale model on one in that 1mm card I've been using. There's still a bit of fettling to do and I'll see if I can add more details to the sides, but I'm pleased with how it's come out.

post-14192-0-05597200-1478939051.jpg

When I'm finished, I'll make the drawing file available to anyone that wants to make one themselves as it can be done using the Silhouette or by hand (for people more dexterous than me).

Anyway, it's a bit chunky, but here it is.

post-14192-0-50328100-1478938522_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-87710500-1478938523_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-89115600-1478938524_thumb.jpg

p.s. how wide is a horse's bum in 4mm scale?

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Jason,

A Dart castings Suffolk Punch?  I think that some horses used by traders were smaller but for a farm then they would use their ploughing horse, except they have moved over to traction engines on your farm if I remember correctly.  Yes, they kept one who they did not sell on.

I will not go on at length as I am no expert but carts were regional, amd although that looks like a standard tumbril it probably has Lincolnshire variations so a good choice to build from lots of angles.  Brilliant model to.  Hmm, why do I need one is Wales?

A change of tack (as it were), and I've literally put the cart before the horse.

My family are farmers on my mum's side, and the last time I was in Lincolnshire I went to the museum of Lincolnshire Life in Lincoln. My mum pointed out a cart that was similar to one my granddad owned. Since then I've managed to find some plans in, wait for it, Montana, and last night I thought I'd photocopy them and see if I could put together a 4mm scale model on one in that 1mm card I've been using. There's still a bit of fettling to do and I'll see if I can add more details to the sides, but I'm pleased with how it's come out.

attachicon.gifplan example.jpg

When I'm finished, I'll make the drawing file available to anyone that wants to make one themselves as it can be done using the Silhouette or by hand (for people more dexterous than me).

Anyway, it's a bit chunky, but here it is.

attachicon.gifIMG_7859.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7861.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7862.jpg

p.s. how wide is a horse's bum in 4mm scale?

Smart and pretty!  Looks like a farm cart or tumbril.  Could be used for anything such as taking root vegetables from the field to a clamp or taking churns to the local station.  Useful bit of kit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've had a quick look through my grandad's videos for the fleeting view of the cart in the yard, but I can see I'm going to have to look at them properly - speed viewing a fleeting view doesn't work well.

In the meantime here are a few photos from the family album.

First of all, a different cart, but one of the two horses, I think this one was called Vulcan after HMS Vulcan, a submarine carrying ship from WWI that my great grandad served on. I think I managed to get plans for this cart as well.

post-14192-0-77309800-1478976507_thumb.jpg

A tractor in the yard in the 1960s

post-14192-0-42732600-1478976506_thumb.jpg

No idea, but it's my grandad with the yoke.

post-14192-0-48610200-1478976508_thumb.jpg

And finally, the Royal Scot in Butlins

post-14192-0-13097200-1478976507_thumb.jpg

• Like 8