Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Magazine OO Gauge Brake Tender

DapolDave

• 1 month later...

It may also have been Mr Ermel that just south of here, photographed the down Heart of Midlothian(double headed by Class 24s) being rescued by another Sulzer with two brake tenders. That in turn had to be rescued by another Class 24 with DBT. It was reported in the contempory railway press at the time. 

I'm told the photo definitely exists.

Trumpted Ya...

Edit: Whilst checking back through old Trains Illustrated to see if I can find the report of the above incident (And just to check the facts so as not to let the truth get in the way of a good story!) I came across a rather nice pic of D1 with DBT leaving Kirby sidings being piloted by 4F 43888. 14/07/1963. This in turn reminded me that I have a neg of a V2 hauing a DBT on the east Coast main Line near to Chester le Street. 

So who needs a nasty Diesel to pull a DBT.

Is there any chance of seeing this picture?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

You never know - they may do another run of them at some point.

I had discounted these myself but having seen one on Youtube, wish I had got one now!

I bought one, a good model. It appeared some time after I had visited Olivia's and proposed an OO gauge model; I don't know how much of a coincidence this was, I left an incomplete model with them, maybe a rep picked up on it. I hope that there will be another run to add to my two units (one a kit built unit) with different markings, and, if we are lucky variations on the type.

When I spoke with them, they said they'd just broke even on them, doubtful for another run it seems.

Wouldn't be so bad but I was one of the team that built the full size one and didn't buy the model version  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

When I spoke with them, they said they'd just broke even on them, doubtful for another run it seems.

Wouldn't be so bad but I was one of the team that built the full size one and didn't buy the model version  :jester:

Well done, impressive job it stands out (along with the TPOs) on the GCR. Maybe the full size one will evince some more interest in the model. Here's hoping.

Well done, impressive job it stands out (along with the TPOs) on the GCR. Maybe the full size one will evince some more interest in the model. Here's hoping.

Thanks for that. I'm the TPO Train manager, that's what got me involved with the GCR 7 years ago

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6BPHHBMA6/diesel-break-tender-n-gauge?optionId=65217259&li=marketplace

If anyone fancies buying one, this is a link to the N gauge diesel break tender in my shapeways shop. I can make it in OO gauge, O gauge or most others too, or make changes to the design if you are interested.

Thank you.

Rob

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6BPHHBMA6/diesel-break-tender-n-gauge?optionId=65217259&li=marketplace

If anyone fancies buying one, this is a link to the N gauge diesel break tender in my shapeways shop. I can make it in OO gauge, O gauge or most others too, or make changes to the design if you are interested.

Thank you.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Looks very nice!

May I ask; how have you suceeded where others have failed, ie in ironing out some of the issues that other manufactureres havent/missed details? Apologies I could only see the one view and I am not familar with navigating the Shapeways site.

Does your kit come with Bogie side-frames and sub assemblies too? What about detail parts such as VB pipes and brake wheels etc?

Any idea what a 7mm version would cost?

ATVB, with thanks,

CME.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Porcy.

I checked that sheet out before but in terms of font style, etc it’s actually a bit of a dog’s breakfast.

Yer man CCT doesn’t have anything like this, does he, I wonder?

D4

Yer man CCT does not, I'm afraid.

The difficulty is the lack of reliable records of what was actually built, as opposed to what was supposed to have been built, and the corresponding lack of information re style / dumbering / lettering.

....... and they're just outside my self-imposed timescale !

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

This picture came up on the Railways in South Wales thread - posted here courtesy of Dave Hilling, his copyright

post-7138-0-89521200-1526587467_thumb.jpg

Hang on a mo - I thought Hymeks were no good on South Wales coal trains - insufficient braking power! What does the need for two brake tenders on what look like fitted 21 tonners say about that there 37 then?

Hee hee

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 5

This picture came up on the Railways in South Wales thread - posted here courtesy of Dave Hilling, his copyright

attachicon.gif32560307_10155831034443026_3516803940194713600_o1.jpg

Hang on a mo - I thought Hymeks were no good on South Wales coal trains - insufficient braking power! What does the need for two brake tenders on what look like fitted 21 tonners say about that there 37 then?

Hee hee

Phil

See that curve to the right in the distance?  The end of the train attached to the 37 is just beyond the sheds......   :jester: :no:

attachicon.gif32560307_10155831034443026_3516803940194713600_o1.jpg

Hee hee

Phil

Obvious innit - the 37's taken over from a failed Hymek !

• 1 month later...

As it happens I was chatting with a man on the Hornby Magazine stand at the GC event last weekend, and asked about these models. (I wished I'd bought one first time and didn't)

He said that serious consideration was being given to another run, possibly in time for the Great Electric Show at Gaydon, which I think is early October.

So let's hope...!

John.