Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

To be specific I'd briefly forgotten about the speed limit on my troblesome section of road, even though I'd seen the signs just before the preceding roundabout. Many previous miles in the same journey on various dual carriageways (all without restrictions imposed by local authorities appeasing hysterical pressure groups) had lulled me into the rhythm of driving at the usual safe national limit.
In my case A46 outside Laceby, near Grimsby, if we must be specific. That's why I was well aware of the limit and took my foot off the throttle sharply after just a few seconds, remembering the special restriction, but only after passing the Gestapo camera....

I trust that you never have cause to regret your declaration of infallibility !! I seriously doubt whether you will have the courage to declare the fact here, if you do.

I don't recall a mention of infallibility. I will accept a fine for my own stupidity when a lapse results in a camera catching me.

We're probably in danger of being censured for digressing too much from railway modelling here. I do happen to agree that visible speed cameras are a nonsense if proper enforcement of all limits is the objective. I also agree that if speeding deliberately, then any fine incurred is a result of one's own stupidity or arrogance unless there are genuine life and death circumstances. I disagree strongly however with the idea that one should be fined equally for a momentary one-off lapse, especially when the speed limit is out of keeping with the type of road.

• Like 1

We're probably in danger of being censured for digressing too much from railway modelling here.

Yep. Maybe not a fine or points on your licence, but certainly a yellow card for persistent infringement.

G.

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought the cameras at Elkesley are due to the fact there is a junction there and going from the northbound carriage way across the southbound carriage way to the adjoining road looks dodgy enough in the 50 zone never mind 70 plus!

Edited by rka

• RMweb Gold

Personally I'd rather the cameras were hidden. If you've a problem with inappropriate speed limits, write to your MP or get a petition signed. Assuming you know better and going whatever speed you feel is right ought to get you a fine whether you know there's a camera there or not!!

:offtopic: That would make them a revenue stream rather than a deterent.

Back on topic.

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic: That would make them a revenue stream rather than a deterent.

Back on topic.

Sorry to intervene but let's just add a safety note into this. I'm not even sure why Elkesley got involved in this but having joined and exited the A1 at this point several times I have to say the 50 restriction is warranted! Even with a 50 on the A1 motorists (who only have the A1 as a realistic route - check a map) find entry/ exit a Russian roulette. There is currently a 40 TSR on whilst a new, safe slip road is built to remove the existing PSR and let you all continue to do 70 mph thus cutting 2 minutes from your journeys. Alternatively you could use a train and support the 12" to 1' scale our hobby is based upon.

Sorry again. Tony, please take your topic back.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is currently a 40 TSR on whilst a new, safe slip road is built to remove the existing PSR and let you all continue to do 70 mph thus cutting 2 minutes from your journeys.

Great !! So the cameras finally generated enough income to fund a safe road layout - which should have been provided in the first place !!

Regards,

John Isherwood

• RMweb Gold

Resin chassis blocks? Is it up to the job?

To quote Mr King himself:

"It has to be kept in mind that the long term stability of the resin chassis block is un-proven."

I think that covers it.

I don't see that there should be a real problem with them, Resin is used in so many items that are subject to heat and stress without issue. 

What could be a problem ?

Surely there are a number of things which might be a problem - choice of resin, accuracy of mix, bubbles or flaws within the casting, exposure to heat, for example.

Until proven then they remain unproven. I'm not a great fan of resin chassis - I find them brittle, though I've never used one on a loco - but that doesn't mean they aren't quite adequate for purpose and others may find them highly satisfactory.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Or the speed limits were fit for purpose and not set (in the main) when cars had drum brakes !!.

Reaction time remains the same irrespective what brakes a car is fitted with.

When travelling faster and you realise that you need to slow or stop, in the time taken until your foot hits the brake pedal you have travelled further than if you were travelling at lower speed. This places you nearer the point of danger before the brakes start working.

Second problem with your theory, irrespective what brakes you have the faster you are going the longer they take to stop you.

Remember the best safety feature in a car is a safe driver.

The worst safety feature in a car is an unsafe driver.

Don't forget in our democratic society you can make a representation to the correct politician dealing with a stretch of road regarding the speed limit. If you can prove that it would be safer lifting the limit then she/he may authorise a change.

I am more than happy to confirm that the resin chassis blocks are an experiment. They initially serve as a time and cost saving expedient allowing three locos to be produced, with luck, in time for Grantham show in September.

The j6 looks good i thought it was an etched loco until i read the script with the picture, this could be the way forward, although i am more north british orientated model-wise. It would be great if somebody did a resin kit for a glen or scott 4-4-0 or even a j35, j36 or j37. As the older gem kits for the glen etc are a tad long in the tooth, they can be made tonlook half decent but a newer kit (other than the pdk kits) would add some variety. I know that we will never get models of all the loco classes that we would like but we can dream.

On another matter, i have obtained one of the gbl peppercorn a2's which i am currently figuring out how to take apart and rebuild with either a spare Bachmann chassis or a kit built chassis. I would prefer a kit chassis as this would be good practise, i know that djh do the a2 chassis and also south eastern finecast. I am unsure as to which one to go for. Can anybody give me any idea as to which would be the best option.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Second problem with your theory, irrespective what brakes you have the faster you are going the longer they take to stop you.

Apologies for the O/T, the relationship between speed and braking distance is not directly proportional, but squared.

Twice as fast = four times the distance to brake to a stop. (3x faster, 9x the braking distance)

Half as fast and the braking distance reduces to a quarter.

In rough terms, 10% change in speed is approximately a 20% change in braking distances (the exact maths are +21 and -19)

Cheers,

Mick

Road speed limits are not always determined by safety concerns. Noise pollution is another consideration.

Anomalies are rife in North Wales :- 

50mph on the A55 Expressway dual-carriageway between Old Colwyn and Mochdre.

40mph on the dual-carriageway to Llanddulas.

'Unrestricted' on the Abergele-Rhuddlan 'Straight' which is really a farm track and no wider today than it was 70 years ago but is now a major a artery.

Edited by coachmann

I would prefer a kit chassis...... I am unsure as to which one to go for.

Gary

Unless you are very well connected you won't get just a chassis from DJH, so the Finecast item (which is etched) is the obvious choice. Dave Ellis at Finecast has always been very happy to supply parts, and in my experience at very reasonable cost.

Resin chassis blocks? Is it up to the job?

I can't comment if the resin chassis blocks will be up to the 'long-term' job, just on the empirical evidence on Monday when Graeme brought the J6 down. We coupled it up to some 15 wagons (kit-built/modified RTR) and it just purred round, backwards and forwards for half an hour or so. There was the slightest evidence of the motor getting warm (perhaps Graeme will explain exactly what he's using - they seem incredibly good value) but nothing more than one might expect of a small Mashima equivalent. I suppose it ultimately depends on what loads are expected to be hauled. My own (three J6s) will pull 40+ wagons with ease, and these are all-metal, in one case packed with lead, and all have brass chassis. The oldest (a pre-historic WSM product) is into its fifth decade now and is still going strong (though noisily because of its old, open-framed motor). From the evidence on Monday, the resin J6s will probably need greater amounts of ballast, but I see no reason to doubt their ultimate tractive powers.

I've asked Graeme for a resin body/tender when one is available, to which I'll fit a brass chassis (my personal preference). Given that SE Finecast has taken over the Nu-cast range (from Autocom), then I'll enquire as to the possibility of acquiring one of those.

I'm constantly amazed at how this thread goes off at tangents, and to close the discussion on speed cameras, might I tell my recent tale, please? Given that (in most cases) speeding is a victimless crime (though tell that to the parents of a deceased kid after he/she was hit by someone doing over 40 in a built-up area), it's also the only 'crime' which the majority of law-abiding citizens ever commit. A month or two ago I set off to visit my old friend Roy Jackson (of Retford fame), picking up a mate on the way. The day was bright and warm, so off I went in my 'rag-top'. The visit coincided with the the Lincolnshire Show, so my preferred route (the A15 north of Lincoln) was closed (though there was no prior warning of this). I thus took a diversionary route along the A57 (a road I rarely, if ever, use). Thus, in ignorance, we two old (and retired) giffers talked trains and reflected on how nice the wind was going through what's left of our hair. I thought I was obeying the speed restrictions, but, on leaving a village (can't remember which one), it would appear a mobile camera van was parked just at the end of the 30 mph section. It certainly wasn't a fixed camera. So, a week later, I got a fixed penalty of £100.00 (can you see the likes of me attending a speed-awareness course? Apologies for the arrogance) and an endorsement for doing 35 mph in a 30 mph zone! 35, on immediately leaving the zone - in a five-litre TVR! Talk about being hanged for a lamb as for a sheep. I have no defence, but was a bit miffed on reading of the case of a teenage burglar in a local paper being 'let off' with a similar fine. Now, there were victims there.

But, that's enough I suppose. 

The j6 looks good i thought it was an etched loco until i read the script with the picture, this could be the way forward, although i am more north british orientated model-wise. It would be great if somebody did a resin kit for a glen or scott 4-4-0 or even a j35, j36 or j37. As the older gem kits for the glen etc are a tad long in the tooth, they can be made tonlook half decent but a newer kit (other than the pdk kits) would add some variety. I know that we will never get models of all the loco classes that we would like but we can dream.

On another matter, i have obtained one of the gbl peppercorn a2's which i am currently figuring out how to take apart and rebuild with either a spare Bachmann chassis or a kit built chassis. I would prefer a kit chassis as this would be good practise, i know that djh do the a2 chassis and also south eastern finecast. I am unsure as to which one to go for. Can anybody give me any idea as to which would be the best option.

Gary

have purchased chassis from Dave at se finecast for the gbl model...excellent gentleman and service...have doctored it though to represent the thompson a2/2 chassis