Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

At least one brake 3rd Barnum and one all third Barnum ended up in red and cream. I have never seen any colour image of one though so many thanks for that!

I have seen black and white photos of both types of vehicle in that livery so I can confirm that at least one of each type was so painted.

If ever we did have a chance of getting RTR Barnams, it’s been on a beer and take-out diet with cream cakes and chocolate biscuits for way too long – in other words, it’s a FAT chance….Geddit! :jester:

Edited by Dick Turpin

• RMweb Premium

What a 'find' is that snippet of the Barnum. If one models the period and is able to run mid to late 50s on a layout such as Tony's, or on the 'other regions', there are huge opportunities  for including such interesting things. By the early 60s I would think that almost all of this sort of stock was gone. I say almost as there would always be one or two really historic things knocking about such as that Gresley Diner that ran on the WR in BR Blue and Grey livery. 

On my particular project I am going to have to accept that I won't be able to have minor detail changes with, for example, signals (UQ to LQ and similar) and certain changes to buildings that happened during those years, if I am to be allowed to have an era quite realistically representing 1957/8 to 1964/5. It (the layout) is in my loft so I don't care  :nono:  

Incidentally I find these 'discoveries', such as the above film clips and other evidence that emerges from wherever, really exciting when they show something I would not have realised had happened and provide the 'excuse' to introduce something unusual. However, if the new evidence proves I am doing or was planning to do something wrong................................. :scared: .      Such disappointment is rare fortunately.

If we model a place we knew and loved and watched, getting things 'correct' must be easier. Is that correct?  If we choose to model a place we may well love but never really visited, things must be more difficult, but maybe the need to investigate rather than rely more on memory, helps ensure we get things right? I wonder if that is the case?

That's why our hobby is such fun I.M.O.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

By the way, did I spot a Triplet at about 0.40? The 3rd or 1st diner looks like it is 'riding high' at the forward end. I would not be having that on any of my triplet builds!! :rtfm:

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Mallard (Phil)

I could not agree more.  What we saw when we were young was framed within the knowledge we had as young'uns.  Wiser sentiment would prevail (if still alive) and perhaps correct our errant thinking.  My wife is well into family history to the point I would suggest she is a genealogist without any paper qualifications and she regularly points out that as more and more information becomes available we have to either stick to our preconceptions or abandon them.

I rather like some of my preconceptions but as a trained scientist I must also admit that what I know to be wrong has to be laid to one side.

When these videos suddenly surface we must take notice and lay aside some of our ingrained preconceptions and recognize that they offer substance, difficult as that may be.

I hope future generations will be able to sort out the factual from the fictional from these wanderings.  Actually I hope future generations will actually have access to these wanderings.

Boy, this is becoming philosophical!

By the way, did I spot a Triplet at about 0.40? The 3rd or 1st diner looks like it is 'riding high' at the forward end. I would not be having that on any of my triplet builds!! :rtfm:

Phil

Yes, there is also one on the fifth train in the sequence.

post-26757-0-62460500-1486842288_thumb.jpg

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 2

All this just brews envy in one born 15 years too late to realistically remember main line steam.

I also hope the sighting of Barnum's does not lead to lots looking to model them as that would push up the price of the kits I am trying to acquire to build a rake in GCR livery.

So far I have one brake and one third.

Richard

• RMweb Premium

All this just brews envy in one born 15 years too late to realistically remember main line steam.

I also hope the sighting of Barnum's does not lead to lots looking to model them as that would push up the price of the kits I am trying to acquire to build a rake in GCR livery.

So far I have one brake and one third.

Richard

Do you have any evidence that they ever ran as a complete rake? I have never seen a photo that shows a complete train of them but would love to know if they did. There is one photo that shows a few (4 from memory) as part of a train but mostly they were odd ones or twos attached to other carriage types.

I have built several, The Jidenco kits represent the carriages with the later LNER modification to the vents/windows above the main windows. The D & S kit has the original GCR pattern, with a hooded vent above each of the main windows.

And a Gresley Buffet car behind the two 52'6'' thirds.

It is not a standard Gresley buffet car as there is a half window next to the saloon door. Looks more like one of the ex-GN open third conversions that were the precursors to the standard cars.

The comments on the variety of coaching stock are interesting.  I would mention the holiday specials to the Lincolnshire coast that produced superannuated stock into the sixties-and a variety of motive power.  Cleethorpes, Mablethorpe, Skegness and Yarmouth summer specials passing through Lincoln saw thousands of holidaymakers taken to and from the coast every week in the summer, a logistics operation that would be impossible today.  There is evidence of GER, NER, GN and GC (Barnum) stock used, as well as LMS vehicles.

It is not a standard Gresley buffet car as there is a half window next to the saloon door. Looks more like one of the ex-GN open third conversions that were the precursors to the standard cars.

Yes, I would agree it's not a 'standard' Gresley Buffet car, rather a conversion, the turnbuckle underframes are quite evident. Given the excitement concerning the Barnum carriage, you are right to point this out. So we've probably got a 6 compartment brake third, a Barnum, two 52' 6'' open thirds and an ex-GN Buffet car conversion, Stick that little lot on your wish list and smoke it. Does anybody remember what the locomotive was?

Edited by Headstock

though my latest loco, a Hornby Q6, even being 8 coupled disappoints in this department

Unfortunately additional wheels on models don't do anything to reduce wheel slip. For a given locomotive weight, four driving wheels are just as effective as ten driving wheels. Real locomotives have multiple driving wheels to distribute a locomotive's weight over a greater length of track and to reduce wear on the wheels, but that's not usually necessary on a model railway.

• RMweb Premium

The short film with all the blood and custard livery coaches is a quite an eye opener for me. Being too young for early BR liveries carmine and cream seems very bright compared to the more sober maroon, chocolate and cream and SR green that followed it. Even BR blue-grey has less of a visual impact. It brightness does not seem to stand out so much on models.

• Like 1

I can't remember seeing any Carmine / Cream coaches from when I started train riding / spotting back around 1963, other than a grounded body across from Springs Branch shed somewhere in Ince Moss sidings. Don't know what that one was either, remember it was something unusual  - I'm sure I have seen a photo of it on the web somewhere - I'll have a search.

Brit15

In the 'real' world of 12ins.:1ft. I thought that it was the accepted case that hard rubber pads were placed between the chairs and the sleepers/ties?

The reason?       Sorry, but I can't say that I remember as it was rather a long time ago that I seem to remember reading that.?

But possibly some ganger/plate-layer/track-walker might enlighten us?

:locomotive: