Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, dibateg said:

I found that as I've got older, I've become more sensitive to the fumes from the various substances we use, particularly Humbrol paint and Mekpak.

I'm on a project to build 28 4mm scale turnouts for Bala Junction, Bala and Trevor, oddly Butanone doesn't seem as bad to me as Mekpak. But something had to be done to get rid of the fumes and enable mass production, so I rigged up an extractor system - the hose plugs in to an exhaust vent mounted in a piece of ply that 'clips' in to the fan light of the window. 

Excuse the chaotic workbench...

IMG_9755.JPG.686f9604a440e34758d5c90dcb7e3fc1.JPG

Regards

Tony

Strange, chemically Butanone and MEK are the same thing they are both C4H8O or CH3C(O)CH2CH3 to be exact and as far as I know Butanone as sold for modelling is slightly stronger than MEKPAC by around 4% so I would expect Butanone to have more of an effect on you than MEKPAC. I buy mine in 1litre bottles at 99% strength and dilute it down to 50% with water myself.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Strange, chemically Butanone and MEK are the same thing they are both C4H8O or CH3C(O)CH2CH3 to be exact and as far as I know Butanone as sold for modelling is slightly stronger than MEKPAC by around 4% so I would expect Butanone to have more of an effect on you than MEKPAC. I buy mine in 1litre bottles at 99% strength and dilute it down to 50% with water myself.

Regards Lez.

I'm sure I've read many times that Slater's MekPak is a cocktail of various chemicals, not pure MEK/Butanone.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm sure I've read many times that Slater's MekPak is a cocktail of various chemicals, not pure MEK/Butanone.

It seems that MekPac is not Butanone anymore but slaters don't tell you what it actually is on the bottle. I'll stick with Butanone if anyone asks me cos I know what's in it.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

It seems that MekPac is not Butanone anymore but slaters don't tell you what it actually is on the bottle. I'll stick with Butanone if anyone asks me cos I know what's in it.

Regards Lez.

Me too.

I remember being told many years ago that Mekpak, for "safety" reasons, was no longer purely Methyl Ethyl Ketone or Butanone, if indeed it ever was, but the (therefore potentially misleading) name had been retained unchanged. I believe that some "discerning" users immediately noticed that the smell had changed, and in some cases the performance.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I believe that the mix of Mekpak was changed after George(?) Slater was found unconscious in the factory one day, after being exposed to the fumes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On the poignant subject of recording memories while one still has the chance, late last year I finally got round to sitting down with my grandfather and 'interviewing' him about life as a New England fireman in the early 1950s. The conversation was recorded into a dictaphone and filmed on a GoPro for posterity. 

I found it immensely rewarding, though I kick myself for missing my chance with other grandparents to record their experiences of the war and serving in the armed forces. I'd heartily encourage anyone who's also thought about recording a memoir to give it a go.

I'll pop a link to the write-up here as it may be of interest to ECML folk. To think Grandad was bowling through the 1:1 Little Bytham all those years ago!

https://www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk/railway-life-at-grantham/loco-department-staff/patrick-kew-a-peterborough-fireman/

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

6 hours ago, gr.king said:

I remember being told many years ago that Mekpak, for "safety" reasons, was no longer purely Methyl Ethyl Ketone or Butanone, if indeed it ever was, but the (therefore potentially misleading) name had been retained unchanged. I believe that some "discerning" users immediately noticed that the smell had changed, and in some cases the performance.

A quick aside on Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Many years ago now I visited a company that manufactures the printers that put those purple batch numbers and sell by dates on the bottom of drink cans etc. They had a problem - in Europe, opinion was very against using MEK as the solvent because it is a potential carcinogen, so wanted to use one of the alcohols. In the US, however they were relaxed about MEK but dead against alcohol on the grounds that the workers might drink it. You can't win sometimes!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, lanchester said:

A quick aside on Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Many years ago now I visited a company that manufactures the printers that put those purple batch numbers and sell by dates on the bottom of drink cans etc. They had a problem - in Europe, opinion was very against using MEK as the solvent because it is a potential carcinogen, so wanted to use one of the alcohols. In the US, however they were relaxed about MEK but dead against alcohol on the grounds that the workers might drink it. You can't win sometimes!

America, and California especially, being rather fond of labelling seemingly anything as a carcinogen.

image.png.7d53b3d45cd736fb944acf5554caf853.png

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, polybear said:

I believe that the mix of Mekpak was changed after George(?) Slater was found unconscious in the factory one day, after being exposed to the fumes.

I'm pretty sure MekPak has changed at least once more since then.

I stopped using the stuff that smelled like BR loo cleaner as it only seemed to work with one or two kinds of plastic, but the current brew seems more versatile (and fragrant when one does get the odd whiff of it).

Butanone is my go-to for most plastic kits and sheet construction in 40-thou. and over. Horses for courses for other stuff. I prefer MekPak or Limonene for thinner sheet work and Plastic-Weld for jobs like repairing the Parkside tie-bar I snapped this morning, where it seems more effective than anything else. Plastic Magic also comes in  handy for things that need a bit of "wiggle time", as it seems a bit thicker and slower to evaporate.   

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

America, and California especially, being rather fond of labelling seemingly anything as a carcinogen.

A good rule of thumb is that most stuff can be carcinogenic if one is exposed to enough of it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Do not eat your razor saws.

They do have warnings.

Edited by MJI
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

A good rule of thumb is that most stuff can be carcinogenic if one is exposed to enough of it.

I have no doubt. Which makes Proposition 65 even more pointless.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Whilst working in S. Korea in 2001 I was reading the blurb on a can of Pepsi whilst sitting in a Bar one evening.  Then I noticed a warning along the lines of:  "Has been linked to an increased incidence of Cancer in lab mice....."

The warning was gone when I was last there (2018/19 IIRC).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

People do realise you can get odourless super glue and plastics glue?

https://www.hobbies.co.uk/deluxe-materials-low-odour-and-odourless-glue-pack-3

Jason

As far as odourless CA is concerned I found the hard way that the 'fumes' are just as obnoxious. 

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, lanchester said:

For a short while my brother-in-law worked in a factory near Cambridge (Bar Hill) making the printers that add the batch numbers and "best by" dates. His Mk 1 nose detected plenty of airborne MEK.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, gr.king said:

For a short while my brother-in-law worked in a factory near Cambridge (Bar Hill) making the printers that add the batch numbers and "best by" dates. His Mk 1 nose detected plenty of airborne MEK.

Yep you can always rely on the MK1 nose.

It's the =O to the 2nd carbon atom that makes it smell like that it's correct name is 2 Butanone if it was only a single bond it would be C4H8OH instead of C4H8O and be called Butanol. Carbon has a valency of 4 and Oxygen 2 and they have to use all of their bonds or the molecule would become unstable. It's why Oxygen is O2 and water is H2O the O2 as a chemical formula would be O=O and H2O would be H-O-H. The equals sign representing a double bond and the minus sign a single bond. In organic chemistry  molecules are held together by covalent bonds which means that the electrons in the outer shell of an atom are shared between between the atoms in the molecule. In something like Benzine C6H6 the Carbon atoms form a ring  each having 1 double bond and 2 single bonds one to the next carbon atom and one to the hydrogen atom and the electrons whizz around the ring a bit like greyhound at a dog track.

Err sorry I do like a bit of organic chemistry.

Regards Lez.       

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Lez,  I was taught that the benzene bonds were all interchangeable so I drew it as a hexagon with a circle inside. Not my favourite bit of organic chemistry,  much preferred organo-phospherous which was good for clearing a train carriage in the rush hour.

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, bbishop said:

I was taught that the benzene bonds were all interchangeable so I drew it as a hexagon with a circle inside.

We were taught to do that for A Level in 1972-74.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I always lock Romford crankpins in with Loctite threadlock. They would still be removable from Markits/Romford wheels with the application of a little heat, if you use superglue they will be there forever. I use them in Gibson wheels as well after drilling and tapping them 10BA.

Locking them in the wheels is essential, it can make a real mess of the motion work if they come unscrewed at speed.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1