Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

HI Andrew,

You can buy the sides at £20 off Andrew at wizard models. The kit comes with all 4 sides the table unit (long one ) and even the step unit.

To modify the parcel coach I used a slitting disc to cut out most of the side so what you are left with is a slot along the body where the windows are, solder the sides to the end plates so its one complete unit and slide it up the body of the parcel coach, Then use uhu or similar to glue the sides together.  

If I get chance next Monday I will remove the body to show what I did. If that helps.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of modifying Mk1s, can anyone recommend the best way to remove numbers from the new Hornby maroon examples, and the best-matching decals with which to replace them? I have a stack of SKs to differentiate...

Regards,

Gavin

I've not tried it yet but does this topic help?

More in anticipation of the forthcoming LB LNER weekend.......................

As mentioned some weeks ago, Eric Fry let me borrow three locos he'd built, appropriate for the MR/M&GNR bit of LB. 

post-18225-0-85072300-1532515514_thumb.jpg

In this shot, the D52 prepares to take the single line section westwards with a Class B train for Saxby Junction.

post-18225-0-70462100-1532515596_thumb.jpg

Coming the other way (having passed the D52 at South Witham?), the J40 heads for Bourne and Spalding with domestic coal (apologies for the one BR wagon in the train). 

These locos run really well and are perfect for this route. All I've done is to add the lamps - no completed/painted locos are allowed to run on LB without lamps (except those brought by guests). 

Tony Gee's lovely signals just complete these scenes.

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Steve,

A beautiful model; thanks for posting. 

Is the BR equivalent of the Gresley or Thompson 'Semi-Corridor Lavatory Composite'? Unique to the ER? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

The non gangway composite lavatory is an ER only type. As were the non gangway second open lavatory. To start with quite widely used where non gangway trains were still operating but soon concentrated on the Great Northern outer suburban duties once the lovely DMUs took over.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More in anticipation of the forthcoming LB LNER weekend.......................

As mentioned some weeks ago, Eric Fry let me borrow three locos he'd built, appropriate for the MR/M&GNR bit of LB. 

attachicon.gifD52 on Class B passenger.jpg

In this shot, the D52 prepares to take the single line section westwards with a Class B train for Saxby Junction.

attachicon.gifJ 40 on coal train.jpg

Coming the other way (having passed the D52 at South Witham?), the J40 heads for Bourne and Spalding with domestic coal (apologies for the one BR wagon in the train). 

These locos run really well and are perfect for this route. All I've done is to add the lamps - no completed/painted locos are allowed to run on LB without lamps (except those brought by guests). 

Tony Gee's lovely signals just complete these scenes.

Beautiful :)

• RMweb Premium

Steve,

A beautiful model; thanks for posting. 

Is it the BR equivalent of the Gresley or Thompson 'Semi-Corridor Lavatory Composite'? Unique to the ER? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony!  To answer your questions - what Clive said!

A lovely model, Chas,

Thanks for posting. 

I had one which Tony Geary built, but I built two ex-LNER Kitchen Cars and that was more than I needed. I sold the Mk.1 Kitchen Car, though it appeared in the MRJ some years ago.

One point of interest, if I may? As far as I know, the LNER catering cars did not have door handles which could be opened from the outside (for obvious reasons, a key for a slot was needed - to prevent a passenger entering the kitchen from the platform). I'm surprised the Mk.1s did, though I don't know. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

Think you may be partially correct re the Mk1 Kitchen car, from photos it would appear that door handles were fitted on the corridor side but possibly not on the kitchen side, although it is sometimes hard to tell from photos. Must confess I fitted handles because the holes were there for them! Glad you mentioned this re. the Thompson cars as I have the sides for an RF to do and probably would have blithely fitted handles to that too - will check more thoroughly on that one.

Chas

Hello Tony

The non gangway composite lavatory is an ER only type. As were the non gangway second open lavatory. To start with quite widely used where non gangway trains were still operating but soon concentrated on the Great Northern outer suburban duties once the lovely DMUs took over.

I suppose there'd be some in this Peterborough-Kings Cross Class B at Red Hall (Hatfield). 

post-18225-0-38463300-1532531453_thumb.jpg

Mention has been made recently about the 'proper' colour to paint LNER locomotives. 

post-18225-0-39852300-1532531513_thumb.jpg

But exactly which is the right tint/shade of LNER green?

post-18225-0-42125800-1532531565_thumb.jpg

Obviously, like countless others, I saw FLYING SCOTSMAN when she was first preserved, like this. 

post-18225-0-41228600-1532531623_thumb.jpg

However, to me, the A3s looked at their best like this - and with German blinkers.

Please observe copyright restrictions. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Mention has been made recently about the 'proper' colour to paint LNER locomotives. 

attachicon.gifFLYING SCOTSMAN & THE GREAT MARQUESS.jpg

Possibly both - Darlington and Doncaster Green were slightly different :) Of course -whether either of those two were in the correct shade of the period - I do not know.

But they both look fantastic :D

• RMweb Gold

I suppose there'd be some in this Peterborough-Kings Cross Class B at Red Hall (Hatfield). 

attachicon.gif60063 0n Mk.1 Suburbans.jpg

attachicon.gifFLYING SCOTSMAN.jpg

Obviously, like countless others, I saw FLYING SCOTSMAN when she was first preserved, like this. 

attachicon.gif60052 PRINCE PALATINE.jpg

However, to me, the A3s looked at their best like this - and with German blinkers.

Definitely not that last one in GWR green.  :no:

Good evening Tony,

On liveries, the most pertinent observation is surely that 4472 defiantly has the better buffer beam, while 60052 looks p*****d off because it's left its curly six on the Great Central.

Finitched!

post-16151-0-98269100-1532546066_thumb.jpg

And with a few days to spare. Mind you, I still have stock to service, etc so probably just as well.

Plan is to swap over with the two upper quadrant equivalents this weekend so as they're all ready and bedded in for the main event. Hopefully further reports after the weekend.

A few compromises / cheats along the way as this was meant as a quick build due to the temporary nature of their installation - but hopefully they will still look the part and add to the pre-war ambience.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tony

Even in diesel days there were services of outer suburban non gangway sets to Peterborough. I am not sure when they finished and were substituted by gangwayed Mk1s and DMUs.  

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tony

Even in diesel days there were services of outer suburban non gangway sets to Peterborough. I am not sure when they finished and were substituted by gangwayed Mk1s and DMUs.  

In the early 1970s, myself and my late father used to often got to Everton level crossing (north of Sandy) in the evening to watch the trains, and I remember clearly one Down train which was made up of non gangwayed stock - it stood out from the rest by being all blue rather than blue / grey, although I think there were sometimes gangwayed coaches mixed in it.  I'm not sure of the exact dates but I think it was before the colour light resignalling so perhaps 1973-4 or so.  There will be some slides of it among my father's collection, if I could only find them!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the early 1970s, myself and my late father used to often got to Everton level crossing (north of Sandy) in the evening to watch the trains, and I remember clearly one Down train which was made up of non gangwayed stock - it stood out from the rest by being all blue rather than blue / grey, although I think there were sometimes gangwayed coaches mixed in it.  I'm not sure of the exact dates but I think it was before the colour light resignalling so perhaps 1973-4 or so.  There will be some slides of it among my father's collection, if I could only find them!

Hi Steve

As a small kid I could never work out why Everton, such a small village the bus from Goldington to St Neots went through had a football team that was in the first division? Myself and my friends would either cycle to St Neots or Sandy to trainspot, but never Everton or Tempsford. It might be that some of our gang were more interested in ornithology than ferroequinology so part of the day would either be at Whyboston lakes or the RSPB at Sandy.  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve

As a small kid I could never work out why Everton, such a small village the bus from Goldington to St Neots went through had a football team that was in the first division? Myself and my friends would either cycle to St Neots or Sandy to trainspot, but never Everton or Tempsford. It might be that some of our gang were more interested in ornithology than ferroequinology so part of the day would either be at Whyboston lakes or the RSPB at Sandy.  

I usually went to Everton crossing as it was an easier cycle ride from Gamlingay where I grew up, and you seemed to get a better view of the trains (originally there was a footbridge across the line as well as the level crossing itself) whereas at Sandy it all seemed to be high sided over bridges or the station itself which didn't seem very welcoming to train spotters.  It meant we missed out on the Bedford-Cambridge line but when it was still open it didn't seem very exciting (at the time I'm thinking of there were really only the DMUs every couple of hours or so left, and it went through our village anyway), and later of course it was closed anyway.  The local kids called it "Tempsford crossing" despite the real Tempsford crossing being the next one north and the name board "Everton" very clearly displayed on the end of the 'box; it appears from local Facebook groups etc. that they still do, so I dread if anybody ever has to report an emergency at it or something!

• Like 3

How can a A3 with Jug Handle Ears on the front look good  :no:  :no:  :jester:  :jester: as to the colour and lining :superstition:

As to LNER Green who really knows paint fades , every batch slightly different colour, etc etc etc.

I don't know how to put those smiley faces and jesters in my posts, but I understand their being lighthearted, Mick. 

As to answering your question.............

The late summer of 1964 was to be the last time I visited Darlington in steam days. I took in 51A, and saw both the shed's standby pilots in steam. COLOMBO was on the 'table and LEMBERG was on the shed. Both had German blinkers and both were in excellent condition, despite their imminent demise. Anyone who didn't think they looked 'good', in my opinion, needed an urgent appointment at the optician's! 

As I stood by the 'table (sadly, without a camera), my attention was turned to the main line, where MINORU went roaring past on a fast freight. Her name/number were only just discernible through the grime, but, boy, did she look good. The dash to get a grandstand view was well worth it. 

At about the same time (a year or two either way), I photographed FLYING SCOTSMAN on 6A, being serviced during a railtour. Though she, too, looked 'good', speaking with the crew (who might not have been familiar with the loco, to be fair) 'good' hardly described her performance. Apparently, it was very lack-lustre. Why? Principally, the single chimney and, probably, less-than-perfect coal. 

Using the maximum 'handsome is as handsome does' one might paraphrase that to read 'good looking and a good runner'. Only the former applied to FLYING SCOTSMAN on that day. Contrast that with MINORU - though dirty, she was a much better loco! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 5

May I ask, please, in pedant mode, how 'myself' has come to be accepted as a substitute for 'I'?

Take away the other persons and write the statement again - 'Myself went to Everton', or anywhere. It's as bad as stating 'Me went to Everton'. 

See me later! 

• Like 6