Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Here is the ancient Wills A3 returning to Heaton with a stopper from Edinburgh to Newcastle.Sorry, Tony, I used to have lots of lamps, but now cant find them. Other than glazing, the loco is as complete as I will make it, other than to put a smear of Aroldite on the leading LH cylinder block where I'm getting an intermittent short.

The idea is that the loco is work-stained, rather than in Gateshead livery...

post-1659-0-32692600-1532871894.jpg

• Like 2

Here is the ancient Wills A3 returning to Heaton with a stopper from Edinburgh to Newcastle.Sorry, Tony, I used to have lots of lamps, but now cant find them. Other than glazing, the loco is as complete as I will make it, other than to put a smear of Aroldite on the leading LH cylinder block where I'm getting an intermittent short.

The idea is that the loco is work-stained, rather than in Gateshead livery...

Afternoon rowanji,

your valve gear looks a lot better. One little trick that I employ with the Comet valve gear is to shorten the tail on the expansion link, it's a little long. It helps puts the eccentric rod in the right relation to everything else and gets a nice swing to the expansion link, even in mid gear. 

• RMweb Premium

I thought I'd share a couple of purchases from the Bluebell Railway Toy and Rail Collectors' Fair yesterday. The first I'm very pleased with. It is a Nucast V2 bought as a poor runner for £40. It looks quite old so I assumed it would have an X04 motor which would need replacing, but to my delight it turned out to have a Portescap motor. An afternoon's work today freeing up the valve gear, and it goes very well, happily romping round my layout with 20 coaches. The paint  job is very good apart from a couple of bits of lining which have fallen off (see tender). It's sadly lacking in detail with no brake gear, lamp irons, glazing, screw shackles etc. But that's fairly easy to fix. Can anyone recommend good brake gear to retrofit? 

post-19760-0-67219800-1532887698_thumb.jpg

The second is a V4. This was more expensive (no RTR equivalent!), but at £85 I'm still pleased with it.  I've no idea of the origin of this loco, but I'm only aware of the ABS kit so it's probably that - can anyone recognise it?. Again the loco has been nicely constructed but lacking in detail and with rather clunky valve gear. It is currently tender drive, but that should be easy to fix, because it's all Romford wheels which will screw out for a Mashima or similar. The problem is the tender which seems to be a standard Hornby tender drive unit. It is the 4200 ton LNER standard which is wrong for a V4. Does anyone know the best source of a 3500 ton LNER standard tender? I've found DMR and SE Finecast so far, but are there others out there, and which is best?

post-19760-0-72013300-1532887719_thumb.jpg

Tony, sorry that these are only purchases, but at least I fixed the V2, and will be doing some work on the V4!

Regards

Andy

• Like 9

I thought I'd share a couple of purchases from the Bluebell Railway Toy and Rail Collectors' Fair yesterday. The first I'm very pleased with. It is a Nucast V2 bought as a poor runner for £40. It looks quite old so I assumed it would have an X04 motor which would need replacing, but to my delight it turned out to have a Portescap motor. An afternoon's work today freeing up the valve gear, and it goes very well, happily romping round my layout with 20 coaches. The paint  job is very good apart from a couple of bits of lining which have fallen off (see tender). It's sadly lacking in detail with no brake gear, lamp irons, glazing, screw shackles etc. But that's fairly easy to fix. Can anyone recommend good brake gear to retrofit? 

attachicon.gifDSC_1611.JPG

The second is a V4. This was more expensive (no RTR equivalent!), but at £85 I'm still pleased with it.  I've no idea of the origin of this loco, but I'm only aware of the ABS kit so it's probably that - can anyone recognise it?. Again the loco has been nicely constructed but lacking in detail and with rather clunky valve gear. It is currently tender drive, but that should be easy to fix, because it's all Romford wheels which will screw out for a Mashima or similar. The problem is the tender which seems to be a standard Hornby tender drive unit. It is the 4200 ton LNER standard which is wrong for a V4. Does anyone know the best source of a 3500 ton LNER standard tender? I've found DMR and SE Finecast so far, but are there others out there, and which is best?

attachicon.gifDSC_1612.JPG

Tony, sorry that these are only purchases, but at least I fixed the V2, and will be doing some work on the V4!

Regards

Andy

Andy,

Mainly Trains do various etches for brake hangers and shoes. I think they may be now part of Wizard models extensive catalogue.

I think that The DMR tender would be more appropriate due to the position of the cutouts at the front end.

Edited by Headstock

attachicon.gifDSC_1611.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_1612.JPG

Regards

Andy

Good evening Andy,

Brake gear from Comet/Wizard, the ex-Dave Cleal/Mainly Trains product. There's a set on the fret to suit a V2. 

V4 valve gear is Hornby, and awful! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Looks fabulous Tony and others. The mix of colours is immediately noticeable. One quick question: I presume the 'back dating' is all prewar? I'm assuming that we won't see the A2/2s and other Thompson (and Peppercorn) pacifics in post war liveries but pre Brunswick green?

David

Looks fabulous Tony and others. The mix of colours is immediately noticeable. One quick question: I presume the 'back dating' is all prewar? I'm assuming that we won't see the A2/2s and other Thompson (and Peppercorn) pacifics in post war liveries but pre Brunswick green?

David

It's around 1938 - so nothing Thompson at all, except, maybe, a B12/3. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks like old Hornby ( or similar) valve gear , perhaps a modified r.t.r chassis?

Dave Bradwell does a 3500g Tender, which I am sure would be excellent.

https://traders.scalefour.org/DaveBradwell/locos-tenders/

Thanks Mick. The chassis is definitely kit built with the standard two sides of brass and Romford wheels. However, the rear truck looks like Hornby and has horrible wheels which will need replacing. I’m sure you’re right about the valve gear (as ‘sir’ has confirmed) - that will be more of a challenge to replace.post-19760-0-88072700-1532901189_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mick. The chassis is definitely kit built with the standard two sides of brass and Romford wheels. However, the rear truck looks like Hornby and has horrible wheels which will need replacing. I’m sure you’re right about the valve gear (as ‘sir’ has confirmed) - that will be more of a challenge to replace.attachicon.gif23F25848-9496-4A24-B472-1C09CA10ACA6.jpeg

Tonight I have been watching a You Tube video about commando training in WW2, it starts with a train arriving at Spean Bridge station being hauled by a V4. I couldn't see the number but it didn't look like it had a name plate so could well be 3402.

• Like 2

You may very well have done. Roy Mears has one on the go at present.I must remember to suck my gut in for future photographs......

I recognised Roy in the photos.

Hope you have all the formations checked against photos and the carriage workings.

• Like 1

Thanks Mick. The chassis is definitely kit built with the standard two sides of brass and Romford wheels. However, the rear truck looks like Hornby and has horrible wheels which will need replacing. I’m sure you’re right about the valve gear (as ‘sir’ has confirmed) - that will be more of a challenge to replace.attachicon.gif23F25848-9496-4A24-B472-1C09CA10ACA6.jpeg

Good morning Andy,

A challenge? Fix a time up in the future and I'll help you make a set of motion. I've got lots of spares/frets which will be suitable. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

I recognised Roy in the photos.

Hope you have all the formations checked against photos and the carriage workings.

I hope so, too,

I just let them get on with it, Robert. 

There are some delicious sets made-up, including the '38 Scotsman, a train with the Leeds Quint in it (my favourite), plus the streamliners and rakes from antiquity. 

I'll be taking pictures over the next couple of weeks and posting them on here. Perhaps your good self, and others, would care to comment. 

One thing I have insisted upon is lamps! Thanks Graeme and Jonathan for fixing those in place. I was shown some beautiful rear lamps produced by ModelU, of all three appropriate types - passenger formations, goods formations and brake van 'outside' lamps. These will be fixed to all sets by the full running weekend. 

• Like 5

I hope so, too,

I just let them get on with it, Robert. 

There are some delicious sets made-up, including the '38 Scotsman, a train with the Leeds Quint in it (my favourite), plus the streamliners and rakes from antiquity. 

I'll be taking pictures over the next couple of weeks and posting them on here. Perhaps your good self, and others, would care to comment. 

One thing I have insisted upon is lamps! Thanks Graeme and Jonathan for fixing those in place. I was shown some beautiful rear lamps produced by ModelU, of all three appropriate types - passenger formations, goods formations and brake van 'outside' lamps. These will be fixed to all sets by the full running weekend. 

We all look forward to the photos.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Andy,

A challenge? Fix a time up in the future and I'll help you make a set of motion. I've got lots of spares/frets which will be suitable. 

Regards,

Tony.

Thanks Tony, that’s an offer I can’t refuse. I also have to pick up that A6 you put aside for me, so we can kill two birds with one stone. I’ll email you some dates.

Regards

Andy