Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

May I ask, please, in pedant mode, how 'myself' has come to be accepted as a substitute for 'I'?

Take away the other persons and write the statement again - 'Myself went to Everton', or anywhere. It's as bad as stating 'Me went to Everton'. 

See me later! 

Coming from 'Gamgee' as he did,  I'd say that was good English.

Steve's Father was also my French & German teacher, so Everton probably felt like foreign soil. 

• Like 2

I suppose there'd be some in this Peterborough-Kings Cross Class B at Red Hall (Hatfield). 

attachicon.gif60063 0n Mk.1 Suburbans.jpg

Looks like a pretty standard outer suburban set of the time, BS, SLO, CL, CL, BS, SLO.

I read somewhere that the SLO at the north end was outside the brake to allow for platforms that could not quite take 6 coaches as it was OK provided at least one door was on the platform. The SLO was the only ER non-gangwayed Mark I where you could walk from one end of the carriage to the other.

• Like 2

In the early 1970s, myself and my late father used to often got to Everton level crossing (north of Sandy) in the evening to watch the trains, and I remember clearly one Down train which was made up of non gangwayed stock - it stood out from the rest by being all blue rather than blue / grey, although I think there were sometimes gangwayed coaches mixed in it.  I'm not sure of the exact dates but I think it was before the colour light resignalling so perhaps 1973-4 or so.  There will be some slides of it among my father's collection, if I could only find them!

I don't have very many GN Suburban carriage workings from the period but in the May 1969 workings the 0700 Huntingdon-King's Cross (ECS from Peterborough) and 1743 King's Cross-Peterborough were formed with a non-gangwayed set: 2 SLO, CL, BS, CL, SLO. This set also worked the Saturday 0715 Peterborough-King's Cross and 2105 return on Saturdays from 28 June to 13 September. By 1974, all the Peterborough trains were gangwayed stock.

In the early 1970s, myself and my late father used to often got to Everton level crossing (north of Sandy) in the evening to watch the trains, and I remember clearly one Down train which was made up of non gangwayed stock - it stood out from the rest by being all blue rather than blue / grey, although I think there were sometimes gangwayed coaches mixed in it.  I'm not sure of the exact dates but I think it was before the colour light resignalling so perhaps 1973-4 or so.  There will be some slides of it among my father's collection, if I could only find them!

To the best of knowledge the last down non-gangway services north of Hitchin were in the 1970/71 TT 17:43 KX-Peterborough and in the 1971/72 TT 18:09 KX-Huntingdon (and there would have been corresponding up services in the morning). Headcode was 2B43 with standard 6 coach formation SLO, SLO, CL, BS, CL, SLO.

Looks like a pretty standard outer suburban set of the time, BS, SLO, CL, CL, BS, SLO.

I read somewhere that the SLO at the north end was outside the brake to allow for platforms that could not quite take 6 coaches as it was OK provided at least one door was on the platform. The SLO was the only ER non-gangwayed Mark I where you could walk from one end of the carriage to the other.

That might have applied to Kings Cross old platforms 12 to 15 too.

• RMweb Premium

To the best of knowledge the last down non-gangway services north of Hitchin were in the 1970/71 TT 17:43 KX-Peterborough and in the 1971/72 TT 18:09 KX-Huntingdon (and there would have been corresponding up services in the morning). Headcode was 2B43 with standard 6 coach formation SLO, SLO, CL, BS, CL, SLO.

Thank you; a bit earlier in the 1970s than I thought then.

That might have applied to Kings Cross old platforms 12 to 15 too.

It would also have meant that at the stations with short platforms the brake van would have been alongside the platform regardless which one was being used, even if not all the passenger doors of the last vehicle were.  I seem to recall 'short platform' labels in the windows of some of the coaches on these services.

Coming from 'Gamgee' as he did,  I'd say that was good English.

Steve's Father was also my French & German teacher, so Everton probably felt like foreign soil. 

It was certainly a foreign county!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I suppose there'd be some in this Peterborough-Kings Cross Class B at Red Hall (Hatfield). 

attachicon.gif60063 0n Mk.1 Suburbans.jpg

Mention has been made recently about the 'proper' colour to paint LNER locomotives. 

attachicon.gifFLYING SCOTSMAN & THE GREAT MARQUESS.jpg

But exactly which is the right tint/shade of LNER green?

attachicon.gifFLYING SCOTSMAN.jpg

Obviously, like countless others, I saw FLYING SCOTSMAN when she was first preserved, like this. 

attachicon.gif60052 PRINCE PALATINE.jpg

However, to me, the A3s looked at their best like this - and with German blinkers.

Please observe copyright restrictions. 

If Malcolm Crawley was around to see the two LNER locos he would declare, with 100% certainty (woe betide anybody who tried to disagree with him on such matters!), that 3442 is the correct colour and 4472 is much too olive.

He would also dismiss the BR Green version as being "GWR cowpat green" and that the double chimney and deflectors turned the A3s into superb locomotives but ruined the looks.

He did give me a small pot of actual LNER Grass Green paint, which I still have, kept in the dark and never exposed to daylight other than being looked at for a few seconds. It is the same shade as 3442.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't know how to put those smiley faces and jesters in my posts, but I understand their being lighthearted, Mick. 

As to answering your question.............

The late summer of 1964 was to be the last time I visited Darlington in steam days. I took in 51A, and saw both the shed's standby pilots in steam. COLOMBO was on the 'table and LEMBERG was on the shed. Both had German blinkers and both were in excellent condition, despite their imminent demise. Anyone who didn't think they looked 'good', in my opinion, needed an urgent appointment at the optician's! 

As I stood by the 'table (sadly, without a camera), my attention was turned to the main line, where MINORU went roaring past on a fast freight. Her name/number were only just discernible through the grime, but, boy, did she look good. The dash to get a grandstand view was well worth it. 

At about the same time (a year or two either way), I photographed FLYING SCOTSMAN on 6A, being serviced during a railtour. Though she, too, looked 'good', speaking with the crew (who might not have been familiar with the loco, to be fair) 'good' hardly described her performance. Apparently, it was very lack-lustre. Why? Principally, the single chimney and, probably, less-than-perfect coal. 

Using the maximum 'handsome is as handsome does' one might paraphrase that to read 'good looking and a good runner'. Only the former applied to FLYING SCOTSMAN on that day. Contrast that with MINORU - though dirty, she was a much better loco! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Just to refresh your memory  I attach both Colombo and Lemberg on standby duties at Darlington.

post-6751-0-43862700-1532553856.jpg

post-6751-0-02144600-1532553947.jpg

ArthurK

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

This is Everton in 1962.

post-6751-0-79533900-1532554673.jpg

ArthurK

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

This is Everton in 1962.

attachicon.gifBook 6 9_5.JPG

ArthurK

Very nice, thank you - as I remember it, apart (sadly) from the A3 which I'm afraid I can't remember clearly!

Unusually the express is on the slow line, as is the one in this picture:

post-31-0-70778500-1532555137.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

If Malcolm Crawley was around to see the two LNER locos he would declare, with 100% certainty (woe betide anybody who tried to disagree with him on such matters!), that 3442 is the correct colour and 4472 is much too olive.

He would also dismiss the BR Green version as being "GWR cowpat green" and that the double chimney and deflectors turned the A3s into superb locomotives but ruined the looks.

He did give me a small pot of actual LNER Grass Green paint, which I still have, kept in the dark and never exposed to daylight other than being looked at for a few seconds. It is the same shade as 3442.

Hmm, GWR cowpat green - will have to remember that one!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hmm. Malcolm was a good friend and colleague who never minced his words but I have to say that in my experience cowpats are usually brown not green. A sort of SR wagon brown, if you like.

• Like 1

Just to refresh your memory I attach both Colombo and Lemberg on standby duties at Darlington.

attachicon.gifBook 6 69_6.jpg

attachicon.gifBook 6 71_2.jpg

ArthurK

Sorry to all LNER fans who may disagree, but I think A3s in that condition (double chimney and blinkers) look great.

Did both of the Darlington standby engines always face south? By the time I visited Darlington in 1965 the standby engines (still steam) were A1 60124 and V2 60806, and both were facing south.

If both standby engines did regularly face south, why would that be?

Edited by pH
  • Like 2

Just to refresh your memory  I attach both Colombo and Lemberg on standby duties at Darlington.

ArthurK

Thanks ever so much, Arthur,

When did you take these pictures? 

I last went in the October of 1964, coincidental with my 18th birthday, and my memory is of both of them being a bit cleaner. Both disappeared at the end of 1964, to be replaced by KENILWORTH, which I saw at York the next year, but it was very dirty. 

Speaking with the shedmaster at Darlington (who let my brother and me go round without permits - we explained that we were from far away, though our accents gave that fact away), he was sad that two superb locos were scheduled for withdrawal (at the stroke of an accountant's pen?). 

Like all pictures I've seen of the stand-byes, they're lamped-up for Class 1 duties, should a diesel fail. None did the day I went; in fact NIMBUS went past the station at a speed I'd never witnessed before with steam! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

Sorry to all LNER fans who may disagree, but I think A3s in that condition (double chimney and blinkers) look great.

Did both of the Darlington standby engines always face south? By the time I visited Darlington in 1965 the standby engines (still steam) were A1 60124 and V2 60806, and both were facing south.

If both standby engines did regularly face south, why would that be?

When I went, COLOMBO was facing south (as in Arthur's picture) by the 'table and LEMBERG was on a shed road, facing north. 

If needed going north, it can't have taken long to turn the stand-bye locos. 

• Like 1

May I ask, please, in pedant mode, how 'myself' has come to be accepted as a substitute for 'I'?

Take away the other persons and write the statement again - 'Myself went to Everton', or anywhere. It's as bad as stating 'Me went to Everton'. 

See me later! 

My countrymen would tell you that the full and correct expression is "I went to Everton...so I did."  :jester:

• Like 2

ArthurK

Thanks again, Arthur,

Looking once more at the two locos, one of those 'loco-picking' delights stands out between them - the relative positions of the vacuum ejector pipes along the side of the boiler. Neither are parallel to the tops of the frames/footplate, but one goes down towards the front, and the other goes up. I've never made a model of either of these superb A3s (though I should), but would I get that sort of detail right? I doubt it! RTR examples, of course, are all too uniform in details such as this. 

Thanks again, Arthur,

Looking once more at the two locos, one of those 'loco-picking' delights stands out between them - the relative positions of the vacuum ejector pipes along the side of the boiler. Neither are parallel to the tops of the frames/footplate, but one goes down towards the front, and the other goes up. I've never made a model of either of these superb A3s (though I should), but would I get that sort of detail right? I doubt it! RTR examples, of course, are all too uniform in details such as this. 

Tony ... interested in your thoughts on this. Would accurate prototype representation with something like this simply look wrong on a model - ie as if you have failed to fix it on level and true .... or would it add to the character. In my mind the jury is out.

Same with other prototypical deviations from the true and straight (wobbly tender lines etc)

Could it be that most RTR locos have radio/TV suppressors in them and most kit built locos haven't.

Thinks!

I've only just realised that certain locos on my layout cause a crackle on the DAB radio in the club at that end of the layout but the kit built ones I've fitted with a suppressor don't.

And the two Tortoise point motors at that end when fired also cause a crackle, must investigate and if the crackle stops when TV suppressors are fitted it may prove something.

Dave Franks.

From a thread about twitching servos a week or so ago.

Yesterday at the club I had the DAB radio on 'Planet Rock', very occasionally there was a crackle as a train ran through (dirty track?) and the message 'Poor signal' came up on the display probably not helped by the metal framed building and the hot dry weather conditions at the time. I thought - good time to try the TV suppressors on the Tortoise motors that had caused bad radio interference previously. I operated the two points at that end of the layout and boy the crackle on the radio was so bad that the DAB radio signal would drop out for a couple of seconds so, fitted both Tortoise motors of this crossover with the TV/radio suppressors and BINGO no more crackles or signal drop outs.

As I said before most of my locos have suppressors fitted but many people's kit built locos won't have and they could be the reason for twitching servos. I'll check out the type of suppressor I used from Maplins (sic) and I'm sure they will be available for buttons on Ebay. Ofcourse it also goes without saying, keeping ones track clean and pick ups in good fettle also helps.

When fitting suppressors they should be as close to the offending motor as possible i.e. motor terminals, I fitted them across the tags on the Tortoise and it seems to work.

The reason I know a wee bit about this interference is because my dad was an electrical engineer first for Reyrolle in Hebburn then Honeywell in Scotland. He used to complain that my trains were interfering with the telly so he got some suppressors and soldered them across the track terminals of the Hornby Dublo trainset (posh Eh), yes there were suppressors in the locos too but it was probably dirty track however, it cured the problem.

Dave Franks.

Edit, I should have said, this is DC I'm talking about. DCC chips have TV/radio suppessors already incorporated and may require the orignal suppressor disconnecting.

This is similar to the item I've fitted, dirt cheap :   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-x-100nF-0-1uF-Ceramic-Disc-Capacitor-104-25V-UK-1st-CLASS-POST/291263960300?hash=item43d0af54ec:g:CRkAAOSwpDdU84z2

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 1

Everton Crossing, I know it well. When I lived in Cambridge, a group of us cycled over to Sandy one day for a bit of trainspotting, eventually moving on to Everton. Later on we went to St.Neots before returning to Cambridge, for our usual evening session at Chesterton Junction.

Whilst at Everton, I was on the footbridge when the gates closed and a n/b fast was pegged. The sound of a Napier on full chat was heard before it rounded the curve into view from Sandy. Except....it was a 31 on the front!. Somewhere I still have the recording and possibly a picture. The 31 was dead, the train was powered by the Deltic behind the 31, and the speed seemed as normal asany other n/b id.

Stewart

• Like 6

Everything is now in readiness for the practice LNER weekend on LB, starting tomorrow

The practice weekend will be necessary to ensure that all the locos/stock perform faultlessly; any adjustments being made before the full running-session.

The practice weekend is also necessary for the simple time taken to put the stock on the track, connect up three links and to decide on full coaching stock formations (we assume that 8-9 coach formations won't 'cut it' on Little Bytham!) - that in itself usually takes several hours of set up at a show as it is.

Looking forward to it immensely

• Like 5