Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I very rarely post as my modelling is not up to a standard I'd like on public view but I'd just like to say at last Tony is presenting the layout in the right era and right company! Roll on the Apple Green and Teak!

Many thanks, you are very kind.

It's a matter of contrast I feel. You need the straight and square to play off against those parts that are relatively flexible in real life. If everything is given the same weight it looks like a toy. Look how artificial the pipework looks on the Bachmann WD compared to the real thing.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8096/8446275922_d6d53bb640_b.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/81/0c/a5/810ca5c332b97fe2eb7caaeefe3ab6f7.jpg

You can draw lubrication pipe runs as straight as a die on a works drawing, not so easy when your plumbing up the real thing. It's about what looks right or wrong, anything that could be mistaken for poor workmanship looks like poor workmanship, Conversely, some materials used in locomotive construction had a certain amount of flex, as a result, they look fake if presented as too rigid or stretched taught as if they were a guitar string.

P.S. The double couplings on the WD are rather nice modeling detail I thought. I bet that's not on the works drawing!

Andrew,

I suppose the constraints of injection-moulded plastic restrict how (often wiggly) pipe runs can be represented, if at all, on RTR locos. 

post-18225-0-15091100-1532714187_thumb.jpg

Lubricator pipe runs alongside the boiler on B17s were often wiggly, with no two looking the same.

post-18225-0-53350400-1532714173_thumb.jpg

Yet Hornby, because of those restrictions(?) moulds them on straight.

post-18225-0-98574500-1532714289_thumb.jpg

I represented them using runs of 5Amp fusewire on this Crownline B17 I built for Gilbert Barnatt, which Ian Rathbone painted. They were deliberately soldered-on wiggly. 

post-18225-0-95990800-1532714380_thumb.jpg

I did the same for the one I built for myself, which Geoff Haynes painted. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Apart from some rather nondescript wagons, all of LB is now clear for LNER trains to commence running tomorrow and Sunday. 

attachicon.gifoverall view 40.jpg

The two substitute signals will be installed on Sunday - the Down fast starter and the Up slow/fast starter, which were still somersaults in 1938. 

All the out-of-period road vehicles (I hope) have been removed, though the station signage and later-style ground signals will have to stay. There is a limit...............

Is that an O series Bedford loading coal (or is it my eyes)?

• Like 1

Andrew,

I suppose the constraints of injection-moulded plastic restrict how (often wiggly) pipe runs can be represented, if at all, on RTR locos. 

attachicon.gifB17 61636.jpg

Lubricator pipe runs alongside the boiler on B17s were often wiggly, with no two looking the same.

attachicon.gifB17 16.jpg

Yet Hornby, because of those restrictions(?) moulds them on straight.

attachicon.gifCrownline B17 painted by Ian Rathbone.jpg

I represented them using runs of 5Amp fusewire on this Crownline B17 I built for Gilbert Barnatt, which Ian Rathbone painted. They were deliberately soldered-on wiggly. 

attachicon.gifFrontispiece.jpg

I did the same for the one I built for myself, which Geoff Haynes painted. 

You can't beat a bit of 5 amp fuse wire. I've been busily knitting the lubrication pipe runs on to my B16. A bit of a harsh close up but there you go.

post-26757-0-08910700-1532717897_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

An interesting question...................

I hope the following pictures give food for thought. Please observe copyright restrictions.

attachicon.gifDoncaster 10 63593 1963.jpg

It would seem that for any accurate depiction of an ex-GC 2-8-0, the front buffer beam and valance should be bent down, indicating a hefty shunt at some point in the past. 

attachicon.gifO4 8 63655.jpg

In fact, such a shunt that it's actually fractured the valance!

attachicon.gifD10 62653.jpg

Ex-GC passenger locos were not exempt, either. And, would anyone solder such rough patches on the base of the cab? 

attachicon.gifD30 62437.jpg

attachicon.gifD34 62474.jpg

Many ex-NB locos seemed to have a ding in their handrail, but only on the RH side. I wonder why? 

attachicon.gif60117 small.jpg

Whenever I build A1s, I endeavour to get the smoke deflectors vertical. Why do I bother?

And, not even the aristocrats were exempt from dents and dings.

attachicon.gif60002 Grove Road.jpg

I've built a model of 60002, but didn't put the dent in the front casing or that scuff behind the buffer on the LH side.

attachicon.gifA4 60015.jpg

Could Doncaster out-shop an A4 to perfection? It would seem not. Note the dent in the side of the casing and that really 'leaning-back' cab!

What do the above show? That if we scrupulously followed prototype practice in our loco-building, that building would just look roughshod and poor? Perhaps there is an excuse for 'grotty' modelling. 

I must admit, I've never striven to replicate anything like the examples above. Yet, because of this, are my models less accurate? Probably.

Hi Tony

Some very nice Black & White photos and the bonus for me is Adam Woodcock in the East Yard at Haymarket MPD.

Regards

David

You can't beat a bit of 5 amp fuse wire. I've been busily knitting the lubrication pipe runs on to my B16. A bit of a harsh close up but there you go.

Given the small size that’s incredible

Given the small size that’s incredible

Thanks sp1,

Not much cop compared to some of the amazing stuff being done in N gauge and sometimes featured on this thread. Once cleaned up and painted, it will weather up quite nicely, giving a bit of detail to what are quite 'austere' locomotives in some respects.

Many thanks, you are very kind.

It's a matter of contrast I feel. You need the straight and square to play off against those parts that are relatively flexible in real life. If everything is given the same weight it looks like a toy. Look how artificial the pipework looks on the Bachmann WD compared to the real thing.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8096/8446275922_d6d53bb640_b.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/81/0c/a5/810ca5c332b97fe2eb7caaeefe3ab6f7.jpg

You can draw lubrication pipe runs as straight as a die on a works drawing, not so easy when your plumbing up the real thing. It's about what looks right or wrong, anything that could be mistaken for poor workmanship looks like poor workmanship, Conversely, some materials used in locomotive construction had a certain amount of flex, as a result, they look fake if presented as too rigid or stretched taught as if they were a guitar string.

P.S. The double couplings on the WD are rather nice modeling detail I thought. I bet that's not on the works drawing!

You're right-the straight and square sets off the pipe runs.  The B1 looks the part.

• RMweb Gold

Looking through some drawings last night and I came across one for a 'Proposed new office for Thomas Williamson Merchants Bytham'  it shows the specification in detail but not its position.

It's dated 18th October 1890 . .. . how far are you backdating this weekend ?

• Like 2

I have built another bridge!

This will be the Down Slow (southbound) line, and as such will carry a lot of Girtby Sea's coal traffic. It's made from 2x Noch girder bridges, 1x Noch approach bridge, and 2x Faller viaduct piers. I've modified it by adding connecting plates beneath the trackbed made from mild steel cut to size with a junior hacksaw, and adding 4x additional girders from the top of the girder bridges to the top of the 'approach' bridge that forms the central span.

In other news, really looking forward to seeing the results of LB's reversion to better days!

Regards,
Gavin

post-9375-0-49060300-1532774946_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I have built another bridge!

This will be the Down Slow (southbound) line, and as such will carry a lot of Girtby Sea's coal traffic. It's made from 2x Noch girder bridges, 1x Noch approach bridge, and 2x Faller viaduct piers. I've modified it by adding connecting plates beneath the trackbed made from mild steel cut to size with a junior hacksaw, and adding 4x additional girders from the top of the girder bridges to the top of the 'approach' bridge that forms the central span.

In other news, really looking forward to seeing the results of LB's reversion to better days!

Regards,

Gavin

attachicon.gifIMG_3886.JPG

Don't reckon much to those abutments!

Mike.

Looking through some drawings last night and I came across one for a 'Proposed new office for Thomas Williamson Merchants Bytham'  it shows the specification in detail but not its position.

It's dated 18th October 1890 . .. . how far are you backdating this weekend ?

Not that far, Dave,

Is the office in Little Bytham, or Castle Bytham? The railway didn't reach Castle Bytham until around 1897, so I imagine the former. 

Hope this acceptable to be added to this thread,  least three of the locos could have been seen on the ECML ......

Latest additions to my humble fleet, comments welcome ....

Hi

Three very nice weathered locomotives.

Regards

David

I posted this image elsewhere on the forum but it merits a mention here as the subject matter came to me via Tony Wright. The two Thompsons and the Gresley RF in between were built by John Houlden for the now scrapped 'Gamston Bank' and I purchased them via Tony:

43650450832_86f379cb59_z.jpgP1080335am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Wow they look good!

• RMweb Gold

Not that far, Dave,

Is the office in Little Bytham, or Castle Bytham? The railway didn't reach Castle Bytham until around 1897, so I imagine the former. 

It just says 'Bytham' 

The title of 'Proposed office' belies the fact it's actually a 8' x 8' wooden shed, painted in 'stone'.  I'll check with the person who sent it to me if it's ok to send over a copy.

Hope this acceptable to be added to this thread,  least three of the locos could have been seen on the ECML ......

Latest additions to my humble fleet, comments welcome ....

Good morning Staffordshire,

it would be nice to have some more details of your locomotives. I'm guessing a bit of plastic fantastic at the back, possibly a little engines O4 and a DJH A2/2. Both the kits seem to be built and finished to a very high standard.

Good morning Staffordshire,

it would be nice to have some more details of your locomotives. I'm guessing a bit of plastic fantastic at the back, possibly a little engines O4 and a DJH A2/2. Both the kits seem to be built and finished to a very high standard.

Thanks for showing interest, details of the four locos are as follows .....

The  A2/2  ... 60506 ...Wolf of Badenoch is a DJH kit ...

The  O4  ....     is a Little Engines kit

The  A4   ....  60018 ... Sparrow  Hawk  is a Martin Finney / Brassmasters kit ...

The  West Country  ... 34011  Tavistock  is a Westward kit with a cut down Crownline Tender and many other additions.

No plastic to be seen anywhere !!!

Thanks, Ian 

post-6510-0-85987300-1532866303.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for showing interest, details of the four locos are as follows .....

The  A2/2  ... 60506 ...Wolf of Badenoch is a DJH kit ...

The  O4  ....     is a Little Engines kit

The  A4   ....  60018 ... Sparrow  Hawk  is a Martin Finney / Brassmasters kit ...

The  West Country  ... 34011  Tavistock  is a Westward kit with a cut down Crownline Tender and many other additions.

No plastic to be seen anywhere !!!

Thanks, Ian 

You certainly fooled me with the A4 and WC, they obviously need more wiggly pipes. Seriously, the finish is first rate, some very neat workmanship and far from being a humble fleet.

P.S. did you extend the front frames on the little engines kit?

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 1