Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

... open containers were always carried in open wagons, not CONFLAT wagons.

This would explain why photos of open containers in trains are few and far between

Interesting point, John and one which hadn't occurred to me.  Open containers don't really seem to feature much in yard photos either and I often wonder how much general use they saw.

The only picture of any in traffic which I can bring to mind is in one of the Dr Ian C Allen collections.  It's taken somewhere round Norwich and shows an A5 with a number of open containers on Conflats with a light coloured aggregate piled up in them.   It's in the background of a shot and not mentioned in the caption. 

14 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Frank,

the earliest batches had the LNER vac brake and less ribs on the body. Later batches had the cheap as chips Morton pattern and the final batches had the BR version of the eight shoe clasp brakes. A kit was available from Red Pander for the later version and can still be sourced. Replacement chassis and brake gear are available for the LNER and Morton braked batches from Parkside.

Hi, Andrew,

Thanks for the info. As an O gauge modeller I can only be wistful about the availability of these parts in 4mm scale. Perhaps things will improve as the ABS range becomes available again. Here are two of my lowfits, the BR one is from Slaters, the LNER wagon from Conneisseur. Both excellent kits.

Regards

FrankLowfits.jpg.09e4a22a309a4b1abee21ff0506c6c1e.jpg

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Interesting point, John and one which hadn't occurred to me.  Open containers don't really seem to feature much in yard photos either and I often wonder how much general use they saw.

The only picture of any in traffic which I can bring to mind is in one of the Dr Ian C Allen collections.  It's taken somewhere round Norwich and shows an A5 with a number of open containers on Conflats with a light coloured aggregate piled up in them.   It's in the background of a shot and not mentioned in the caption.

I would love to see that photo - not least because I would not have thought that open containers were substantial enough to withstand the load of aggregate; their written load was 4 tons. The usual load for open containers seems to have been builders merchants' items - sanitary ware, etc.

I do recall a photo taken, I think, at or near Great Yarmouth - the concensus of which was that the loaded 'boxes' were PO coal tipplers, used to bunker the steam trawlers.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Premium

Back to vans

Looking at pictures in 1960s in Cornwall identified so far about 10. Still to do at least 5.

BR ply plank meat insulated

BR/GWR ratio van and ply versions

BR/LMS vertical plank wood end no brakes. The BR clasp braked, the LMS 4 shoe brake.

Still need to ID the ex LNER and SR vans.

Hoppers 2 types.

Then to opens

And many are not available as kits nor RTR.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

It is my understanding that open containers were always carried in open wagons, not CONFLAT wagons.

This would explain why photos of open containers in trains are few and far between - you couldn't see them in an open wagon!

CJI.

AIUI, that rule was imposed by BR (anybody know when?) as the LNER open containers aged and after a couple had burst open in transit.

There are a couple of photos showing DX containers on LNER Conflats in Peter Tatlow's original single-volume wagon book (page 75). Also, a couple of the smaller H type in a 3-plank dropside wagon.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MJI said:

Back to vans

Looking at pictures in 1960s in Cornwall identified so far about 10. Still to do at least 5.

BR ply plank meat insulated

BR/GWR ratio van and ply versions

BR/LMS vertical plank wood end no brakes. The BR clasp braked, the LMS 4 shoe brake.

Still need to ID the ex LNER and SR vans.

Hoppers 2 types.

Then to opens

And many are not available as kits nor RTR.

Beyond the very glaring lack of LMS types in r-t-r model and kit form, the plywood-bodied GWR types seem to be the next most prominent omission in 4mm scale. Parkside do one in 7mm.

Coverage of "modern" (1930s) LNER and SR vans is pretty good both in r-t-r and as kits.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Beyond the very glaring lack of LMS types in r-t-r model and kit form, the plywood-bodied GWR types seem to be the next most prominent omission in 4mm scale. Parkside do one in 7mm.

Coverage of "modern" (1930s) LNER and SR vans is pretty good both in r-t-r and as kits.

John

The ply GWR/BR van is the most common not made.

The LNERs I have found 3 are Parkside

The lone SR Ratio

One I thought was LMS MAY be LNER

LMS seems to be sortable with later vans by modifying a mix of Ratio LMS vans and rechassising Airfix/Dapol vans. But for a small number no problem.

No Vanwides (VEV VWV). But I need more pre TOPS VVV, both plank and ply.

And for my main era I can take it down to 6 air (so one rake VDA one rake VGA) and 4 vac braked types, mixed rakes of ply plank VVV and vanwides.

The Cornwall project Wagons will be 75% shared with my 1950s project.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, MJI said:

The ply GWR/BR van is the most common not made.

The LNERs I have found 3 are Parkside

The lone SR Ratio

LMS seems to be sortable with later vans by modifying a mix of Ratio LMS vans and rechassising Airfix/Dapol vans. But for a small number no problem.

No Vanwides (VEV VWV). But I need more pre TOPS VVV, both plank and ply.

And for my main era I can take it down to 6 air (so one rake VDA one rake VGA) and 4 vac braked types, mixed rakes of ply plank VVV and vanwides.

The Cornwall project Wagons will be 75% shared with my 1950s project.

Yes but both Bachmann and Ratio do all three variants of the SR van, even-planked, 2+2 and plywood. It's also easy to cross-kit the even-planked Ratio one to make the 9' wb versions.

Bachmann do/have done a fair selection of LNER vans to a decent standard r-t-r.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, 90164 said:

Hi, Andrew,

Thanks for the info. As an O gauge modeller I can only be wistful about the availability of these parts in 4mm scale. Perhaps things will improve as the ABS range becomes available again. Here are two of my lowfits, the BR one is from Slaters, the LNER wagon from Conneisseur. Both excellent kits.

Regards

Good afternoon 90614,

a shame about the ABS range but understandable, it is so incredibly useful. A nice set of SR 9' wb, 8 shoe clasp brake gear would do me fine. As for LNER O gauge 8 shoe, there still seems to be bits and bobs about but you have to dig pretty deep.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

Non of the RTR 4mm scale, GWR 12 T vans are much cop, better to scrap them all and start again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Non of the RTR 4mm scale, GWR 12 T vans are much cop, better to scrap them all and start again.

The Mr Blobby series, all of Mainline ancestry whatever colour box they come in....

I've nicked the underframes off all my Bachmann ones for other projects and replaced them with Ratio kits!

Some of the bodies are going onto Dapol chassis for a friend's garden layout where they won't stick out like sore thumbs.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

my WR branch project will be eventually

Locos 100% RTR Bachmann & Dapol

6 sets of 2 to 4 Carriages 10% RTR (Airfix), 15% cross kitted (Mousa MJT Comet Scratch), 15% CKD (Replica), 60% etched kit (Comet)

( B Set, 3 car non corridor last GWR built, 3 car non corridor mk 1, late B set 5 various corridor a 57ft non corridor)

Quite a few wagons wil be required

Wagons WILL be VERY roughly 20% Airfix 20% Ratio 25% Parkside 5% RTR, 10% scratch and 20% to be 3D printed, oh and some CooperCraft.

Aiming for a cattle train, an unfitted short train, a fully fitted, a couple of fitted heads. OK justa pile to run as I feel like it.

But since it will be my train set if I want to run blue Diesels occasionally I will! **

** Note if it had remained open a BRCW 118 would have been guaranteed, as would 117 305

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 90164 said:

Hi, Andrew,

Regards

ABS 7mm now here . Hopefully 4mm soon as well

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/abs-models-wrightlines-classic-commercials-news.10030/

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, 90164 said:

They all seem to have LNER style brakegear but the middle one is a BR steel bodied wagon.

Regards

Frank

Evening Frank,

as Mick has pointed out, the ABS 7 mm range is back. They do the 9' w b LNER vac brake for a very good price, it would be a simple to convert it to 10' w b if you so wished.

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=19072&page=1

Edited by Headstock

2 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Frank,

as Mick has pointed out, the ABS 7 mm range is back. They do the 9' w b LNER vac brake for a very good price, it would be a simple to convert it to 10' w b if you so wished.

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=19072&page=1

Thanks, Andrew,

I have bought about 5 or so ABS wagons since they were re-released and some parts to help build an Isinglass 3D print of the LNER long CCT.

Regards

Frank

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andrew,

I hope the model of 10000 can be found at HQ. I'd like to take a close look at it, then write my review. 

Since I played no part in this model's development (and, thus, have no need to express an interest), I think I can write an impartial review (Howard Smith has asked me to). 

With regard to the Hornby A2/2s and A2/3s, since I assisted the designers with the models' developments, I thought it out of the question that I write the review. It was similar with the Bachmann V2; though I had little in the way of input compared with the Thompson Pacifics, I still told the designers, when the proving models were tested on LB, that it wouldn't be right for me to consider writing the review. 

As for the Oxford J27 (for which I wrote the BRM review), apart from loaning drawings and books, my input to that was nothing, other than the offering of some advice to the product manager. 

This sort of thing always raises some tricky questions. It's a privilege to be asked to contribute (in a small way) to RTR products' developments, but it does raise the issue of how impartial I might be if asked to write a review. As mentioned, in most cases, if I've assisted, then I won't write a review (the Heljan LNER Tangos spring to mind). In some cases, it's no more than providing prototype photographs and writing publicity pieces for a model - Accurascale's forthcoming Deltics, for instance. 

Of course, with the rise of the internet, anyone now can write and present a review. If they've paid for the model, then that is their privilege. Generally, RTR manufacturers send review samples to magazines FOC. They're then (in my case) used as guinea pigs for further improvement/alteration/weathering/etc and then sold-on for charity (or I keep them to run on LB - EARL MARISCHAL - for instance), or they're offered as prizes. I always send a copy of my review to the manufacturer beforehand (well, almost always - occasionally, a deadline is too tight), giving him/her the opportunity to respond via a right to reply. I consider that just common courtesy. 

Occasionally, my comments are acted upon - my mentioning to Simon Kohler about the out-of-gauge W1 steps will result in future runs having them as separate items, to be added by the purchaser, or not. Speaking of those steps, by moving them inboard a little, presumably they still cleared the motion? 

I also write book reviews. Here, the 'definitions' are a little blurred, and I must admit that I'll have often been asked by the publishers to proof-read works, provide photographs and/or write captions. Whether that sort of thing should preclude my writing of a review is a moot point. It's a similar thing when I'm a friend of the author(s).

Regards,

Tony.  

Yes the steps still clear the motion okay. Chamfering the edges is for two reasons - make them look thinner and also ensure should the valve gear catch it will slide behind but it doesn't catch on mine. I don't think I could move them in much more.

I'll be writing a review for our BRMA Journal The Clearing House over the next couple of weeks. That seems to be a task I've set myself for all new LNER 4mm scale models over the last 10 plus years.

Andrew

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Re the discussion a day or so ago on containers in open wagons, I have consulted 'Freight Wagons and Loads in service on GWR and BR,WR, by J.H. Russell. Fig 119 shows a LNER 6 plank open (I cannot see a number) loaded with two small flat GWR SL containers, one on top of the other. These containers were used for 'ceramics, tiles, & similar earthenware materials'. The date is given as 1928, and the location as Paddington Goods. The next image, Fig 120, is of GWR 6 plank open 148250 with side door open, showing it loaded with an open bulk container, CB2948, for the conveyance of sand, gravel, etc. No date given, but location as Royal Oak.

Lloyd

• RMweb Gold
On 02/01/2022 at 13:52, MJI said:

In the same way that there are Ashford vans in GWR and LMS number series there were 250 vans, numbered 521290 - 521539 built by the LNER under lot number 1335 for the LMS in 1942. They were the standard LNER van but with horizontal planked ends in place of the corrugated ends due to wartime shortages. Originally built unfitted they were allocated LMS diagram 2079 and survivors were vacuum fitted by BR.

There are pictures in Essery's 'An Illustrated History of LMS Wagons Volume 1', Figure 38 and Plates 104 / 105. Apart from the brake rigging they seem to be identical right down to the LNER axle boxes.

At first glance there are also a lot of similarities between post-war LMS and LNER vans but the body strapping details as well as the brakes and axle boxes give away their origins.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2