Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

In these parts that would be quite normal and acceptable (as is the response "I'm good" rather than "I'm well" when asked how you are - usually expressed as "howyagoin'?).

I once heard that a curious (to us) but typical (to the Gaelic ear) Irish opening exchange was "What about yer?", to which the accepted response was "Stickin' out!"  :drink_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Eccentricities of linesiding......I didn't like the 16XX's in steam days because I didn't consider they were ex. GWR engines! Today I would gladly have one on the layout.  :locomotive:

A good point Coach. I recall that when 1638 was preserved it was finished in GWR green but lettered Dart Valley rather than Great Western.

Proof, if proof were needed, of your lococentricity, in that shot of the pannier tanks you are obscuring a far more interesting re-plated private owner mineral wagon!

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

I never knew. 

Talking of things being obscured, the trees behind the pannier hide the place where I was born, Chester's City Hospital (long demolished). When I took those pictures, I'd been there only 19 years before. It's a lot longer than that now!

....Talking of things being obscured, the trees behind the pannier hide the place where I was born, Chester's City Hospital ....

Folk got interested in railways for any number of reasons, but I wonder if being born in a hospital close by a railway line has some bearing?  Perhaps the first thing we heard was not mummy's voice but woooooooo, clickety-click clickety-click.  :locomotive:

(I was born at the Haspland Maternity Hospital close by Newton station, Hyde).

Edited by coachmann

Thanks for all the responses on language; parochial, vernacular or otherwise. 

I recall a discussion on the telly some little time ago about how some employers were sifting through application forms (there being far more applicants than positions available). On the one side was a well-dressed (some might say distinguished-looking) gentleman who was a principal employer (I forget which company). He stated that he went through any CVs and immediately dumped any which were badly addressed, badly written, contained spelling/grammatical/syntax errors and were ambiguous and (possibly) disingenuous. On the other side of the discussion was an 'airship' woman (I'll leave that description to your imagination) who appeared to have made her own clothes (she should have tried something she was good at). In a shrill voice, she denounced this policy as potentially missing-out on someone who could be the best applicant. In response the chap suggested that, if nothing else, by presenting such a poor application, it showed remarkable ignorance. At this point the female behemoth almost exploded, shouting out how could he possibly use such 'insulting' language? They just don't know' said she. 'I rest my case said he', and I entirely agreed with him. The woman just looked puzzled. 

• Like 4

Folk got interested in railways for any number of reasons, but I wonder if being born in a hospital close by a railway line has some bearing?  Perhaps the first thing we heard was not mummy's voice but woooooooo, clickety-click clickety-click.  :locomotive:

You could well be right, Larry.

The nearness of railways certainly had a bearing on my relationship with the Almighty. My brother and I were duly forced to attend Sunday School in the '50s (just off Westminster Road, Hoole, Chester). Adjacent to the Sunday School, behind the houses was an alley, across from which was a rolling field. Beyond this field (not far away) was the line to Manchester and just beyond that (though just out of sight behind the houses in Hoole Lane) was 6A - a third of a mile away at most. Palls of smoke hung invitingly, telling of the treasures beneath; and, being a Sunday, the shed was packed. However, even after an interminably long list of things we couldn't/shouldn't do (though there were no oxen present to covet) and we were free, because we were in our Sunday-best clothes it was more than our lives' worth to get smuts and dirt on our apparel. So, we trudged home, in the opposite direction.

In those days, Sundays hung like a dead-hand over anything exciting we might have contemplated. However, as I got older, and free from the trappings of superstition, 6A on a Sunday was regularly visited. But (and one should never start a sentence with 'but'), I wonder how much was missed from those earlier times? Visiting locos, never to be seen again, or old ones withdrawn before I saw them, even though I might have observed their smoke. 

When I last visited 6A, the place was really run-down

post-18225-0-79506600-1480504834_thumb.jpg

Once again, apologies for the grim shot.

post-18225-0-12629100-1480504833_thumb.jpg

On a brighter note, in between fiddling on the computer, I'm just putting the frames together to go underneath a model of this loco - in this condition. Later next year, you'll find out why. 

Was anyone reading this present on that day at Crewe, almost 50 years ago, in April '67? It was the occasion of SIR NIGEL's first run in preservation, to Carlisle up the WCML. Contemporary reports said it was exciting!

• Like 7

Interesting this tangent on what caused the initial affliction leading to the malaise of railway interest. In my case it was not birth near a railway line but living between two railway yards and, at night, listening to the shunting noises and the trains moving in the night. I too, was shunted off to Sunday School (I suppose it allowed Mum and Dad some playtime together without the kids!) and would rather have gone to the local shed (32b). I always loved this time of year too as the shops all had railway layouts in their toy departments and hours were spent wishing and hoping, sadly never to have the hopes fulfilled, leading to a permanent disenchantment with Santa which endures to this day!

There are some great pictures being shown here. What talented chaps you all are. I have to say though that the white metal kits being shown under construction look very "chunky" and seem to be made of armour plate. We were happy to accept this in the day but etched component ones are a whole lot more realistic.

Martin Long

post-6884-0-20301500-1358949045.jpg

I was not present on that day Tony, but my dad was during her running in turns from Crewe

Sir Nigel Gresley having been overhauled at Crewe was run in on trains up to Preston. Here she is Wigan North Western's platform 1 hauling a southbound local train. No date I'm afraid, and my dad took the photo (that's why it's a good un - he was a press photographer !!).Sir Nigel had been purchased privately in May 1966 and overhauled at Crewe 66/67. Amongst her running in turns was the 3P07 - 23.45 Crewe to Preston and the 2K52 - 05.30 Preston to Crewe local passenger.

Looks to be early morning at platform 1 at Wigan, so I think this is 2K52.

Brit15

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Eccentricities of linesiding......I didn't like the 16XX's in steam days because I didn't consider they were ex. GWR engines! Today I would gladly have one on the layout.  :locomotive:

There vwre some 94XXs built in the mid 50s if I remember correctly?

Also, beware. If anyone ever asks ".... if they can get a coffee......" or some other thing when purchasing an item and I am nearby and hear that, I shall run hobble over and bellow something very rude in their lughole and give them a damn good thrashing with my Zimmer Frame. :scared:

Phil

If anyone ever asks ".... if they can get a coffee......" or some other thing when purchasing an item .....

The standard answer should be "You can get whatever you choose - if you order it properly and pay for it"!

They'd soon get fed up with their 'trendy' phraseology.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

You could well be right, Larry.

The nearness of railways certainly had a bearing on my relationship with the Almighty. My brother and I were duly forced to attend Sunday School in the '50s (just off Westminster Road, Hoole, Chester). Adjacent to the Sunday School, behind the houses was an alley, across from which was a rolling field. Beyond this field (not far away) was the line to Manchester and just beyond that (though just out of sight behind the houses in Hoole Lane) was 6A - a third of a mile away at most. Palls of smoke hung invitingly, telling of the treasures beneath; and, being a Sunday, the shed was packed. However, even after an interminably long list of things we couldn't/shouldn't do (though there were no oxen present to covet) and we were free, because we were in our Sunday-best clothes it was more than our lives' worth to get smuts and dirt on our apparel. So, we trudged home, in the opposite direction.

In those days, Sundays hung like a dead-hand over anything exciting we might have contemplated. However, as I got older, and free from the trappings of superstition, 6A on a Sunday was regularly visited. But (and one should never start a sentence with 'but'), I wonder how much was missed from those earlier times? Visiting locos, never to be seen again, or old ones withdrawn before I saw them, even though I might have observed their smoke. 

When I last visited 6A, the place was really run-down

attachicon.gifChester shed small.jpg

Once again, apologies for the grim shot.

attachicon.gif4498 Crewe small.jpg

On a brighter note, in between fiddling on the computer, I'm just putting the frames together to go underneath a model of this loco - in this condition. Later next year, you'll find out why. 

Was anyone reading this present on that day at Crewe, almost 50 years ago, in April '67? It was the occasion of SIR NIGEL's first run in preservation, to Carlisle up the WCML. Contemporary reports said it was exciting!

I would have been in the throng on the platform, I have a couple of slides somewhere from the day I think, also the spotting notes from the rest of the day.

Edit: I was born at home about half a mile from the GC at New Basford, north of Nottingham, could easily hear the trains at night.

Edited by great central
  • Like 1

Good afternoon Tony,

I was born some thirteen years too late to witness steam on the rail network and so that cannot be the reason for my interest in steam locomotives. My own interest was kindled by my parents when they gave me a battery powered train set as a christmas present when I was very young. I promptly wore it out in a matter of days and so a second set was purchased. My love of the LNER came in the late 1980's when I was lucky enough to cab Flying Scotsman as Didcot just after it had returned from Australia.

I thought you may be interested in the (slow) progress being made with the J6's.

A couple of very cruel closeup pictures which are several times actual size; you can just see the print lines when blown up like this.

post-943-0-66535300-1480514258.jpg

post-943-0-37196600-1480514271.jpg

A few highlights have been picked out to better see the detail. These will be toned down once I've numbered the locos.

• Like 7

I once heard that a curious (to us) but typical (to the Gaelic ear) Irish opening exchange was "What about yer?", to which the accepted response was "Stickin' out!"  :drink_mini:

All better than that terrible antipodean greeting, once commonly heard on 'Neighbours' (Mrs 5050 watches - not me!) of "How're they hanging?"  I'm still not sure what "they" refers to.

I have a Sutherland Models version of the 16XX, the body of which I built many years ago along with a compensated P4 chassis that I tried to be to clever with.  It has beams and pivots all over the place, along with a D11 motor (shows how long ago it was!) and has never run properly.  Earlier this year I saw that Branchlines and SE Finescale were reintroducing it along with a new NS chassis which I duly purchased.  Part of the NS fret is a lovely etched cab back and sandbox rodding which I will attempt to graft into the already soldered up body.  The chassis has marker points for CSB suspension too.

My introduction to railways was probably intially by my Grandfather who took me out in the pram as a very young boy.  He was involved with Civil Engineering and Surveying and was always pointing out items of interest such as bridges - and the trains that crossed them.  We lived across a field from the main Shrewsbury-Chester main line at the front and the Rhos branch at the rear so I was constantly being reminded of their presence.  My cousins introduced me to trainspotting and once I had discovered that my school friends were also spotters then that was it!

Oh, and my Godfather was a driver on CroesNewydd.  To him it always seemed that it was just a job, I never got the feeling that he had a lot of interest in the way that we do.

Edited by 5050
  • Like 2

I grew up within the sound of the North Warwickshire Line (which is not in north Warwickshire) near the summit of the line in Tanworth Tunnel. So the sounds of hard working trains carried across the Stratford Canal reservoirs at Earlswood. My father never drove a car so we usually went up to town by train either to Moor Street or Snow Hill. The latter was my special place in the formative years, though as a trainspotter I then preferred the dirt of New Street. After years of working in places with no trains at all I ended up living very close to the ATSF line out of northwest Houston with nothing but long, slow freights running through the night and the sound of grade crossing bells. This was a re-awakening, to be further amplified in France where the sound of trains echos across the vineyards from the Midi mainline. No steam unfortunately.

How many of us born near railway lines continue to choose to live near them?

• Like 2

I can remember watching trains on the London to Chatham line from one of the upstairs bedroom windows at home when I was very young. I can also remember my mum taking me to watch the trains at Strood station, which was only a short distance from our house. It was mostly 3rd rail EMU stock, and the finer details of exactly what was running passed way over my head at that age (about five, I'd guess) except that some passenger trains were of gangwayed stock, but most were not. Even so, it was enough to sow the seeds of a lifelong interest in railways.

When I said where I was born, the Luftwaffe was also a routine sound but railways won one - nil. Someone held me over a bridge at Newton during the blackout so I would be covered in smoke. Mention that to today's feminazis....  :help:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

I mentioned that I was busy with my third etched kit, and here it is - a PDK B16/3. Digital photos have to be cruel and unusual punishment to a modeller, but they do have the advantage of pointing out where tweaks can still improve matters. Some further work will take place before Halfords Satin Black is applied, then Modelmaster lining and decals.

Re the B16 discussion, I built the PDK kit as my first etched attempt - a bit ambitious, with hindsight. I can't see why a modeller of Andrew/ Headstock's experience would have any difficulty, other than a need to fabricate a few "twiddly bits" which were not included in the kit. My 67 yo eyes are very happy to watch it wheel a 7 coach Gresley rake, including Comet/Hornby conversions, around the layout. The B16/3 will suffer the same fate.

Just as an aside, when strangers in shops address me as "mate", they are in grave danger of losing my business. Grumpy? Moi?

post-1659-0-34788600-1480522044_thumb.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 7

Interesting this tangent on what caused the initial affliction leading to the malaise of railway interest. In my case it was not birth near a railway line but living between two railway yards and, at night, listening to the shunting noises and the trains moving in the night. I too, was shunted off to Sunday School (I suppose it allowed Mum and Dad some playtime together without the kids!) and would rather have gone to the local shed (32b). I always loved this time of year too as the shops all had railway layouts in their toy departments and hours were spent wishing and hoping, sadly never to have the hopes fulfilled, leading to a permanent disenchantment with Santa which endures to this day!

There are some great pictures being shown here. What talented chaps you all are. I have to say though that the white metal kits being shown under construction look very "chunky" and seem to be made of armour plate. We were happy to accept this in the day but etched component ones are a whole lot more realistic.

Martin Long

Many thanks Martin,

I agree with your view that white metal kits (can) look very 'chunky'. However, this can be an advantage, not in unaltered visual terms but with regard to haulage capacity. 

post-18225-0-56887500-1480520491_thumb.jpg

Because the castings on this DJH 'Big Bertha' are so good, any chunkiness will be disguised when I've completed it. And, even at this point, it'll push anything in its way. 

Interestingly, I've just been looking through Iain Rice's white metal kit construction book, published by Wild Swan some years ago (I was searching for another book). In it, Iain refers to the term 'layout loco' which I've happily plagiarised to refer to my own locos. He also suggests fining visible cast metal edges down so the eye is tricked into believing it's a thin edge. 

post-18225-0-70941100-1480520504_thumb.jpg

I've done this to some extent on this Nu-Cast J6 which Ian Wilson started and I finished. However, in close up, I admit, it does look a bit 'clumsy'. 

post-18225-0-76322100-1480520506_thumb.jpg

But it's not meant to be just seen in close-up. It is definitely a layout loco, doing the job for which it was made on my layout. At this range, can you tell it's chunky? Perhaps, but this is one of the MRJ shots not dropped on to the cutting room floor. 

post-18225-0-33508900-1480520489_thumb.jpg

This Nu-Cast B1 I built yonks ago is also a layout loco and nothing else. I did not, however, use the white metal 'weapon' which was provided as a chassis. This one has a Comet one. 

post-18225-0-50899100-1480520497_thumb.jpg

Another of my locos definitely not meant for too-close inspection is this ancient Wills A3 on a scratch-built chassis. It still runs well and, on a layout, looks 'reasonable' 

post-18225-0-98845300-1480520494_thumb.jpg

As, I hope, does this SE Finecast A4. Granted, it's a bit more chunky than the Pro-Scale version, but on a loco like an A4 (which has fewer 'thin' edges) white metal does have its advantages. This will beat any RTR equivalent out of sight when it comes to haulage-powers. 

post-18225-0-89167100-1480520499_thumb.jpg

Compared with Hornby's RTR equivalent L1, I admit my antiquated ECJM example is definitely-armour plated. However, with Tom Foster's beautifully-natural (another of Mr Rice's apposite phrases I've pinched) weathering, as a layout loco it passes muster, or, at least it does to me.

post-18225-0-36343400-1480520502_thumb.jpg 

To prove how natural white metal locos can look in a layout environment, may I offer this Nu-Cast O2/4 as an example, please? It was built by John Houlden and is (was) running on the now burnt-to-bits Gamston Bank. 

post-18225-0-94111700-1480520508_thumb.jpg

In close-up, however, the etched brass kit does win; not that my building is better than John's - far from it. It's just that fine edges of this PDK O2/4 do look more convincing. 

I suppose DJH gives the best compromise with their kits. White metal for things like smokeboxes, boilers, fireboxes and fittings, but etched brass for items like smoke deflectors, cab sides and tender sides. This is one of the dozen or so DJH A1s I've built for myself (painted by IR, of course). I've built at least twice as many for others. 

Above all else, it's the fact that these locos (whatever their origins) have been made which appeals to me the most. Many of these were built long before there was an RTR one available (in the cases where there now is), so they certainly not just clones of each other. 

As I've said, as layout locos, I think they pass muster, even though they are a bit chunky in some cases. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited because the last picture is out of place - at the bottom. My fault. 

post-18225-0-50539500-1480520493_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 17

I mentioned that I was busy with my third etched kit, and here it is - a PDK B16/3. Digital photos have to be cruel and unusual punishment to a modeller, but they do have the advantage of pointing out where tweaks can still improve matters. Some further work will take place before Halfords Satin Black is applied, then Modelmaster lining and decals.

Re the B16 discussion, I built the PDK kit as my first etched attempt - a bit ambitious, with hindsight. I can't see why a modeller of Andrew/ Headstock's experience would have any difficulty, other than a need to fabricate a few "twiddly bits" which were not included in the kit. My 67 yo eyes are very happy to watch it wheel a 7 coach Gresley rake, including Comet/Hornby conversions, around the layout. The B16/3 will suffer the same fate.

Just as an aside, when strangers in shops address me as "mate", they are in grave danger of losing my business. Grumpy? Moi?

Well done John,

As a first attempt at an etched kit it does you great credit. Most importantly, you've done it all by yourself - not asked others to make models for you. 

Please post images when it's finished. 

Edited by Tony Wright

I grew up within the sound of the North Warwickshire Line (which is not in north Warwickshire) near the summit of the line in Tanworth Tunnel. So the sounds of hard working trains carried across the Stratford Canal reservoirs at Earlswood. My father never drove a car so we usually went up to town by train either to Moor Street or Snow Hill. The latter was my special place in the formative years, though as a trainspotter I then preferred the dirt of New Street. After years of working in places with no trains at all I ended up living very close to the ATSF line out of northwest Houston with nothing but long, slow freights running through the night and the sound of grade crossing bells. This was a re-awakening, to be further amplified in France where the sound of trains echos across the vineyards from the Midi mainline. No steam unfortunately.

How many of us born near railway lines continue to choose to live near them?

Thanks Paul,

Those who've visited my home can testify how close I now live to a railway line. 

I'm amazed that this thread seems to be growing at (at least) a page a day. Though I post pictures, it's definitely not just me. Over the weekend I was away for the best part of three days, and posted nothing. Yet, it still carried on. 

May I please thank everyone for their continued (and continuing) most-interesting comments? This is a real modellers' thread. 

• Like 4

Yo Tony, my man! You needs to get down and diggit wiv the yoof speak innit!! :dancing:

(I have to confess I don't understand half of that myself)

Rite on Granfam bro,,, dere's truckin an dere's truckin,,, an we hangin wiv de Mancunians dis weeken wiv de Barney Wallis geezer!!!

Got visas an evryfink,,,, how kool is dat,,,,seeya.

Laterz

SAD :sadclear:

PS,,, Tony,,,,,this is like wot happenz wen you spend de last 6 years of yer careeer at a secondary school,,,, wicked,,, but you know all about that!!!