Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

RTR is fantastic if you can't resist chopping them up into bits and then putting them back together again. Below is an old Mainline/Bachmann? Collette TK literally chopped in two and reformed to make the basis of the shorter composite. Much to my amusement, the resulting surgery placed the queen posts in the correct relation to one another. They were too far apart on the original, although it did have a better roof profile than the Comet kit.

Andrew that coach conversion looks fantastic, do you have any more photos of the conversion process? The Mainline roof detail really is rather nice compared with the comet, I think I may have to think again about my composite plans and think about having a play shortening a Third...

May a miserable old git make a request, please? 

Though I find great pleasure in helping anyone I can with research, constructional techniques/methods, sourcing components or just offering advice, when I next get an initial greeting with just 'Hi' (particularly from someone whose identity I have no idea of), I will totally ignore it. Though that might seem rude to some, I assure you it's mutual.

I most certainly don't expect to be addressed as 'Sir' or even 'Dear Sir', just an informal 'Good morning/afternoon/evening' Tony.

Why is it that we now have to tolerate such 'modernity' of greeting or, worse still, when the greeting has been made and the question is asked as to the state of health of an individual, the answer is 'I'm good'? I hope the low-life creatures who stole those items from the Grantham van when asked a similar question with regard to their health will answer 'Actually I'm not very good (they'll be too thick to use the correct 'well'), in fact I'm dangerously-bad - very dangerously-bad!' (It should, of course, be 'ill', but they won't know that). If the moderators think this too extreme, then, no doubt, they'll remove it. 

I shall now return to my cave in which I keep my time (only going into the past) machine.   

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 5

One final note. Atso commented on the B17 I'd built which was on display at Warley, and how (I assume) he preferred it to a Hornby RTR example. It won't be displayed unpainted again, but at one show a punter, on examining it, stated 'Hornby makes one of those'. Though I didn't say it, my thoughts were 'so what!' Which is probably what many think when I recommend making things by/for oneself. 

Good morning Tony,

Please do assume that my preference would be for your B17. However, I've not got the space for a 4mm scale layout and I doubt the B17 would run well on N gauge track!

For me what differentiates your B17 from the Hornby one is the character and sense of presence it has; how much of the later is because I got to handle it and well remember the weight of the thing, I don't know!

While fitting handrails on Sunday and yesterday I had a DVD about the A4s on in the background. One thing that was mentioned was that there are differences between the preserved examples which represent the changing practices at the erecting shops over the course of the A4's production run. I think this would nicely sum up your B17; it's individual and will have it's own unique quirks. The Hornby ones on the other hand will be (cosmetically at least) as close to perfect as the factory can make them and somewhat sterile as a result. Yes these can be customised but things like the conduit runs will all be in the same place - part of the appeal of N gauge for me is I can leave them off entirely!

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to run my rtr LNER condition A3s, A4s, B17s and J39s alongside anything I make, it saves me time and they're pretty good models but several of them will be customised (Dapol only produces two names for 1930s LNER A3s and I've got four of these models!). My two older Farish V2s on the other hand will be facing some major upgrades sometime in the future to improve their performance and looks.

(Edited to comply with Tony's request above!)

Edited by Atso

Hi mick,

It's a shame about Crownline. Not everything was fantastic but some of their later etched kits were pretty good. The work you and others are doing with resin parts and RTR is pretty impressive, it certainly fills a gap and takes advantage of what is available. I have never built a PDK kit so I couldn't comment on them, I would like to have a bash at their B16/1 but from what you are saying it sounds a bit duff. I have three final carriages to build for LSGC and then it's back to some loco building, having examined the boiler castings for my 04/8 I think they are pretty poor, more scratch building required. As a result, it is likely the A3 experiment will jump the queue, plastic and brass certainly have more appeal than white metal poisoning. I have many of the parts required but some need to be sourced or made from scratch.

where do you get your superheater covers from?

Ask Graeme King re the superheater covers he may still have some resin ones .

I have only built the A1/1 from PDK so no idea re the B16/1 Mike Edge has a thread on here for the B16/2/3 version which will give you a idea re the quality. London Road Models are reintroducing a kit at some point.

O4/8, mine has a Bachmann B1 body, married to a Bachmann O4 footplate and chassis. Mine is on my thread about two years ago at a guess.

The following images show some of the kit-built locos I'm trying to sell on behalf of the partner and family of the late John Brown. 

The Raven A2 and the H1 have been sold. In the case of the former, it was definitely not a Larry Goddard paint job and, on close inspection, there were a couple of detail anomalies. That said, it's a beautiful runner (did anyone see it romping round Grantham at Warley?). 

post-18225-0-48732500-1480442621_thumb.jpg

This is an old Cornard kit on a Jamieson set of frames, powered by a K's Mk.1 motor. It runs, but those who know K's motors will know of their audibility. I'd say it's a candidate for a more-modern motor and the lining finishing off. 

post-18225-0-55236000-1480442623_thumb.jpg

This is a DJH C7 powered by a D11 open-framed motor. It is much quieter and an extremely sweet runner. I'm throwing in a pair of the correct-sized driving wheels. 

post-18225-0-57160800-1480442625_thumb.jpg

Another DJH loco, this time in the form of a J35. This, too, has an open-framed motor and runs reasonably-well. 'Reasonably-well' needs qualification. Compared to some I've had through my hands described as 'good runners', this is a brilliant runner. It is not, however, to the standard I'd expect of mine. 

post-18225-0-59192700-1480442627_thumb.jpg

I find it a great shame that the painter of this model didn't look at a prototype picture. The whole front casing should, of course, by green. That said, it appears to be very well-made and runs beautifully. It's a K's P2 but has Romford wheels and a big Mashima motor driving a Branchlines gearbox. I've had it on 15 bogies at over 90 mph - rock steady!

post-18225-0-96685400-1480442628_thumb.jpg

Another beautiful runner is this Portescap-powered DJH U1 Garratt (why do folk insist on describing things like this as a small appurtenance on top of a house?). It needs some minor bodywork attention. 

At the risk of sounding extremely arrogant, none of these LNER models is in the same league as those which have recently appeared on this thread. I have no idea of the models provenances; the builders and/or the painters. I've gone over each one and cleaned/oiled/adjusted as necessary to make sure they run as well as can be. All have gone round LB without fuss or failure. 

Because of their relative conditions, I'm not expecting the very highest prices. However, I'll get the best for a bereaved family, a percentage of which will go to charity. If anyone is interested in any of these models, please PM me. 

Apologies for the scrambled picture of the C7. I'll load it again. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 6

The Raven A2 and the H1 have been sold. In the case of the former, it was definitely not a Larry Goddard paint job and, on close inspection, there were a couple of detail anomalies. That said, it's a beautiful runner (did anyone see it romping round Grantham at Warley?). 

Yes - I did! It had a couple of romps - and boy did it romp. Very impressive. I think a certain antipodean visitor had his video camera trained on it - perhaps he will share that with us in due course?

May a miserable old git make a request, please? 

I most certainly don't expect to be address as 'Sir'

Please Sir, as one who has recently found himself carelessly committing crimes against the English language, may I point out that you are short of an 'ed' just there.....

• Like 1

Please Sir, as one who has recently found himself carelessly committing crimes against the English language, may I point out that you are short of an 'ed' just there.....

Well done that boy for spotting the deliberate error. Award yourself a gold star!

It's now corrected. (Head held deeply in shame). 

And, please, may I point out that your sentence is, in fact, a question and should, thus, be suffixed by '?'? Just one pedantic b****r to another. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

Andrew that coach conversion looks fantastic, do you have any more photos of the conversion process? The Mainline roof detail really is rather nice compared with the comet, I think I may have to think again about my composite plans and think about having a play shortening a Third...

Thank you very much for your comments. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the conversion process, however, as I'm at home tomorrow I may be able to take some pictures that you may find helpful.

The Comet kit will produce a very good carriage. My version is really more of a waste not want not approach to modeling. I've have owned a batch of these RTR models dating back to the early eighties, I was also impressed by the roof detail and thought they had potential as a project. As a result, I produced three of the conversions about ten years ago. There is something very satisfying about rejuvenating some of 'yesterday's heroes' and putting them back to work.

There is a fair amount of work required on the chassis, the original molded on detail was cut away from the angle iron and the floor was cut out between the bogies and the queen posts. This is allowed the replacement underframe gear to be fitted to a new false floor mounted above the solebars. Two things that you may find of interest is that the Mainline/Bachmann third is actually too short, mine was cut in half but lengthened rather than shortened as required on the composite. The second thing may be of interest to

the Comet kit,  some carriages had prominent rivets on the roof and water tanks while others were flush. The CK I am currently building will have a flush roof, my previous build retained the original detailing.

Good afternoon Andrew,

I think it would be a mistake to assume that the PDK B16/1 'sounds a bit duff'. In my experience, nothing could be further from the truth. It is an excellent kit and captures very well the distinctive lines of these long-lived locos. As, I hope, the following pictures show. 

attachicon.gifDsc_9115.jpg

attachicon.gifDsc_9118.jpg

I built this loco last year for Tom Foster, just building the PDK kit as supplied. I used Romford wheels and a Mashima motor driving a High-Level gearbox. 

attachicon.gifDsc_9114.jpg.

It was part of a horse-trading deal where I acquired his BR version of the same kit, in this case built and painted by PDK. 

attachicon.gifB16 1 painted 01.jpg

The required standard of painting was way beyond me, so it was given to Mr Rathbone to produce his usual top job. 

attachicon.gifB16 1 painted 03.jpg

I then made sure it ran perfectly on Little Bytham.

attachicon.gifGrantham 7 14.jpg

Before it went to see service on Grantham, the layout for which it was made. 

Thank you for posting the photographs. I especially like the shot taken on Grantham with the old bangers in tow. It may be worth a trip out to a real exhibition one day to view the layout. The B16 looks a very fine model to My eye. The build quality and painting make it shine but it looks like there is a solid foundation to work with.

With Warley done and dusted, attention has been turned (in part) to cracking on with models waiting to be completed. 

post-18225-0-49029200-1480453445_thumb.jpg

This is the Nu-Cast/SE Finecast 16XX kit I've had on the go for two months. It's time to complete it, especially as it's going in the Railway Modeller in the New Year. Looking at the arrangements of the components, some external soldering is going to be necessary. 

post-18225-0-28222900-1480453448_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-45693400-1480453450_thumb.jpg

I hope it doesn't end up quite like this one. I took these pictures over 50 years ago in dismal light at 6A. The loco was still in service. Apologies for the grim shots. 

post-18225-0-57724700-1480453452_thumb.jpg

A week before, I took this shot of a withdrawn V2 at York. Though never to turn a wheel under its own power again, it looks in better nick than the 16XX.

Speaking of the 16XX, so far there is no RTR equivalent. Might I say 'good'? Has anyone else built one? If so, please post images.  

• Like 6

Dear Tony (bearing apple for the teacher)

Having lived in Texas for 23 years (1980-2003) I do empathize with your feelings about the state of the English language.  But a lesson from the 1970s if I may.  In 1977 I joined an American oil company and immediately adjusted my spelling to suit the vernacular of my new employer.  Not only that, I started to pronounce words that would be better understood by my peers.  So, since we did a lot of scheduling, I started to pronounce "schedule" as though there was a "k" in the word.  When I visited the UK there were some (loosely defined as pedantics) who suggested that I should pronounce "schedule" properly.  I was ready.

"Oh," I said, "so you would like me to say 'shedule'?  Then how about you saying you learned your pronunciation in 'shool'?"

Silence.

But, that off my chest, I do agree with the all-too-chumminess of today.  And not all of it is derived from across the Atlantic.  Too often I have been PM'd with the opening salutary "Hi Mate".  Say that in Texas and you might get a baseball bat where it hurts.

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of the 16XX, so far there is no RTR equivalent. Might I say 'good'? Has anyone else built one? If so, please post images.  

Here's mine Tony.

post-21039-0-70318600-1480454547_thumb.jpg

Built well over 35 years ago and weathered by the late Paul Fletcher at the 1981 Leeds Show.

It has a rather ancient Airfix motor inside which is well overdue for replacement, and it needs some more detail such as lamp irons, but if I did that an RTR version would certainly materialise.

I'll try to get a better photo later.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Too often I have been PM'd with the opening salutary "Hi Mate".

In these parts that would be quite normal and acceptable (as is the response "I'm good" rather than "I'm well" when asked how you are - usually expressed as "howyagoin'?).

Most areas have their own localised form of greeting as well as variations on language.

In these parts a familiar greeting is 'Ayupmedook'

On the railway, 'Yaright' is pretty universal, not enquiring necessarily about anyones health. In the same way 'See ya later' is the regular version of goodbye, even though you almost certainly wouldn't see the same person again that day or perhaps even for some considerable time.

• RMweb Premium

Here's mine Tony.

attachicon.gif20150926 013 1664 on St Blazey - Wheal Veronica clay empties on Nancegwithey Viaduct close.JPG

Built well over 35 years ago and weathered by the late Paul Fletcher at the 1981 Leeds Show.

It has a rather ancient Airfix motor inside which is well overdue for replacement, and it needs some more detail such as lamp irons, but if I did that an RTR version would certainly materialise.

I'll try to get a better photo later.

Two more photos of 1664.

post-21039-0-25106000-1480467714_thumb.jpg

post-21039-0-24549700-1480467737_thumb.jpg

Paul's weathering shows up well in these.

He enjoyed doing this and 4206 as he said that china clay made a nice change from coal dust - yet he didn't use a drop of white paint at all!

Leeds MRS members will remember this loco as the infamous "diving pannier" on Cwmafon...

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

"diving" as it made a bid for freedom from its hiding place in the upended baseboard once back in the clubrooms. A good demonstration of the danger of parking black locos in dark holes on the layout (Cwmafon). Good to see it has survived that and all these years!

• RMweb Gold

With Warley done and dusted, attention has been turned (in part) to cracking on with models waiting to be completed. 

attachicon.gif16XX 07.jpg

This is the Nu-Cast/SE Finecast 16XX kit I've had on the go for two months. It's time to complete it, especially as it's going in the Railway Modeller in the New Year. Looking at the arrangements of the components, some external soldering is going to be necessary. 

attachicon.gif1628 Chester 2 small.jpg

attachicon.gif1628 Chester small.jpg

I hope it doesn't end up quite like this one. I took these pictures over 50 years ago in dismal light at 6A. The loco was still in service. Apologies for the grim shots. 

attachicon.gif60876 small.jpg

A week before, I took this shot of a withdrawn V2 at York. Though never to turn a wheel under its own power again, it looks in better nick than the 16XX.

Proof, if proof were needed, of your lococentricity, in that shot of the pannier tanks you are obscuring a far more interesting re-plated private owner mineral wagon!

Mike.

Proof, if proof were needed, of your lococentricity, in that shot of the pannier tanks you are obscuring a far more interesting re-plated private owner mineral wagon!

Mike.

Greetings of the day Mike,

I suspect that Tony's lococentricity is a mere cover for his deep-seated love of petrol tankers. Certainly, 1905 has been beautifully framed by a row of water and coal carriers.