• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Oops apologies for not informing you - I thought I had covered my list but just checked and I did not go on your thread.  What it really means is that there are problems in the NHS but the staff themselves at the critical end do care.

Just another thought on your thread - do you like spaghetti?

Cheers Peter

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Oops apologies for not informing you - I thought I had covered my list but just checked and I did not go on your thread.  What it really means is that there are problems in the NHS but the staff themselves at the critical end do care.

Just another thought on your thread - do you like spaghetti?

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

I agree entirely, the staff are fabulous but why oh why to politicians feel the need to meddle, bring back Matron!

I hate spaghetti by the way - pasta or wiring versions

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

I agree entirely, the staff are fabulous but why oh why to politicians feel the need to meddle, bring back Matron!

I hate spaghetti by the way - pasta or wiring versions

They did bring back matron's and just added another level of management that was never needed. Instead of experienced nurses being on the shop floor they were busy in meetings with other well paid managers on how to get more out of the staff for the pittance they are paid.

I will step off my soap box and take off my nursing union steward hat off.

I wish I could do carpentry like you, what I produce isn't even called woodwork.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

At long last I feel we are progressing well with the major alterations to the fiddleyard set-up.

post-5296-0-68155800-1517124995_thumb.jpg

Here we show the new connections at the layout 'north' end

post-5296-0-96425300-1517124987_thumb.jpg

Both trackbeds curve over the skeleton baseboard

post-5296-0-52765300-1517124978_thumb.jpg

The rear avoiding lines will feature these walls to prevent stock accidently falling off

post-5296-0-45243500-1517124970_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-37496700-1517124962_thumb.jpg

These two views show the proposed track layout leading into the 'north' yard

post-5296-0-39314100-1517124952_thumb.jpg

All lines lead to another scissors crossover to provide access to all options, the set-back lines are for DMU's etc.

post-5296-0-03879200-1517124940_thumb.jpg

Once completed the longest sidings will accommodate an 11 coach train

post-5296-0-02681900-1517124930_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-80742200-1517124916_thumb.jpg

Rise Hill tunnel will now be repositioned at this location and will allow the inclusion of the elevated pipe which is located just north of the Coal Road bridge plus an occupation underpass between this and the tunnelmouth (bridge 99)

More work today so we'll see what develops!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

This is great, Mike. I just love watching layouts in the initial woodworking stages. Once it comes time for the trains.....

I still can't get over how well organised you are. Look at those racks of tools!

Well done, this is adding a new dimension to an already excellent layout.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I was going to post photos of my progress with my train set, but when you see photos of Mike's tidy layout, tools all put away and organised, proper joints on his baseboard timbers and wiring too neat for me with my ex-Marconi's inspectors hat on to comment on, I ain't gong to bother.

Now where does Mrs M hide the vacuum cleaner she chases me and the dogs with?

Hi all

Following an eventful trip to the Stafford show yesterday when my car alternator died and we got stuck for an hour on the M56! I was delighted to see Ian MacDonald and his team with 'Kirkby Stephen West' here are a few shots from the day

post-5296-0-50712100-1517777736_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-74597700-1517777791_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-94223300-1517777862_thumb.jpg

Today however I am delighted to say I have now completed the tracklaying on the north fiddleyard, this completes this phase with the wiring up next on the agenda.

post-5296-0-52550000-1517777619_thumb.jpg

General idea for scenic section showing a high embankment on the far side and a low one to the front

post-5296-0-46528800-1517777595_thumb.jpg

Side protection now applied to the return lines

post-5296-0-16095900-1517777582_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-37601100-1517777567_thumb.jpg

The route into the yard

post-5296-0-06592100-1517777439_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-28444100-1517777386_thumb.jpg

Lengthy storage with two set-back sidings for DMU's

post-5296-0-92906000-1517777361_thumb.jpg

Overall view

That's it guys, I feel as though we are getting somewhere at last.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

Didn't you say politely to the Kirkby Stephen team the crane is the wrong way round. Well its underframe is. The boiler should not over hang like it is in the photo but be over the decking that can be seen under the jib. If it was spun round the jib would then sit on the bolster on the match wagon.

• RMweb Premium

Some nice pics there, Mike.

Needless to say, I've a soft spot for KSW. And I much prefer your new, "conventional" fiddle yard to the previous incarnation with the helices.

Lovely work.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Mike

Didn't you say politely to the Kirkby Stephen team the crane is the wrong way round. Well its underframe is. The boiler should not over hang like it is in the photo but be over the decking that can be seen under the jib. If it was spun round the jib would then sit on the bolster on the match wagon.

Hi Clive,

Sorry I was not clear on my pics last posted, they are all of different layouts and I'm not sure which one the crane was off....DOH!!! You are correct of course regarding the crane, I knew something looked wrong as the jib was most definitely 'out of gauge' in respect of the height - wish I had spotted that at the time.

Sorry to hear about your car problems Mike but at least you got to Stafford it was an excellent show ....use the train next time ...we had an excellent run down from Runcorn and it only cost me £11.25 return ...good valve in my book. 

You certainly have made some major changes on Dent but I'm sure you will reap the rewards with not having to bank your trains up the spiral .....excellent modelling keep the updates coming  :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Sorry I was not clear on my pics last posted, they are all of different layouts and I'm not sure which one the crane was off....DOH!!! You are correct of course regarding the crane, I knew something looked wrong as the jib was most definitely 'out of gauge' in respect of the height - wish I had spotted that at the time.

Yes Mike, the crane is definitely not on KSW.

You had me puzzled when I saw the pics.

Never mind, Dent's better than any of those pics (am I allowed to say that?)

Jeff

Just had a peek into the broad gauge room next door to Alloa and theres an advanced and very special EM S&C layout taking shape.

All a bit hush hush but its by a well known finescale modeller on here and should be on the circuit around 2020.

Stolen images..

Elevated finescale track and a typical scene.

post-2371-0-91539300-1518131570_thumb.jpg

Part of the incredibly fine track work.

post-2371-0-36064600-1518131593_thumb.jpg

This will be worth waiting for.

Dave.

• Like 6

Yes, looking good.

Dave Franks' layout, unless I'm mistaken....

Jeff

Shoosh!..you'll get me into trouble!

He closely guards the broad gauge room and all offers of help from the philistines from the 16.5 Alloa next room are rejected out of hand...muttering under his breath we are not fit to lay ballast on the disused branch! 

On a serious note It will be a fabulous layout and hopefully he will mellow a bit and allow us to help with the running.

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't worry about any secrecy Dave......

There's been a fair input from Dave F on my KL2 thread, including a number of photos.

And I agree, it's an excellent addition to the growing collection of S&C layouts on here.

Mike - apologies - we seem to have hijacked your thread.

And many thanks for the package you sent me. My brother tells me it's arrived - I'm still in Cumbria.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Mike.

I've spend the last few nights, once the engineers' T3 possession's have went on, reading through the thread for your layout and I have to say what you have achieved is truly commendable.

The level of detail with the scenic side of things and the traffic side are superb.

That's the good thing about the S&C. Right the way through from the steam era, 50's and 60's, BR Blue, Sectorisation to the current privatised nonsense the infrastructure hasn't really changed so in that regard is timeless!

It's given me the inspiration to push on with my own S&C layout based on a location further north - Long Meg Sidings. It's not going to be an exact replica but loosely based upon the Sidings. And set firmly in the diesel era!

A recent house move means I have a ready fitted out loft conversion to use to house it. (Cleaner and warmer than the loft in the previous flat we lived in though a much smaller area.) 

I will have to use a helix at each end to gain access to the fiddle yards, though having read your trials with them I might have to restrict my train lengths, but on the otherhand having read the thread for Everard Junction, the helii (plural of helix?) on that layout seemed to work alright.

Anyway, keep the pictures coming please!

Cheers

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Hopefully this will get a few of you smiling as unfortunately I have not had much chance to do anything this week as yet.

attachicon.gif2011-10-18 20.42.46.jpg

Sad and neglected Wd 2-8-0 90445 has an easy run now its almost reached the top of the Long Drag as she ambles along through Dentdale.

attachicon.gif2011-10-18 20.43.13.jpg

The Jinty 47394 on a trip working has set back into the lye bye to allow passage of the WD before removing the empty coal wagon from the siding.

attachicon.gif2011-10-18 20.44.11.jpg

The sharp eyed may notice the Bothy now has a roof, pics will follow just had no time.

attachicon.gif2011-10-18 20.44.38.jpg

The only way I can see the interesting side!

attachicon.gif2011-10-18 21.15.21.jpg

Loco's by request! If only it were possible in real life.

Jubilee 45562 'ALBERTA' has the assistance of Class 5 45157 'GLASGOW HIGHLANDER' as they crawl through Dent on the 'Up Waverley' following a signal check.

attachicon.gif2011-10-18 21.15.57.jpg

How delightful this pairing looks.

attachicon.gif2011-10-18 21.16.29.jpg

Brush Type 4 D1942 bursts out of Widdale Tunnel and over the viaduct with a northbound ECS working

attachicon.gif2011-10-18 21.17.36.jpg

Both trains shatter the silence as they pass through Dent

attachicon.gif2011-10-18 21.17.52.jpg

Helicopter view!

attachicon.gif2011-10-18 21.19.25.jpg

The Type 4 pounds north whilst the Waverley remains checked by the outer home.

Hope you enjoy!

Mike,

As you may have seen from all the likes and craftsmanship/clever ratings I’m wading my way through the 174 pages I think it is and it’s a brilliant layout. Question on the above though how do you create those double headers? As to me one loco would run at a different speed than the other and I imagine the controller on one track would need twice as much power than normal anyway, my locos can’t be taken out of gear to be in effect a dummy. I’m sure I can find the info from a search but horses mouth and all that!

Cheers

Ade

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

As you may have seen from all the likes and craftsmanship/clever ratings I’m wading my way through the 174 pages I think it is and it’s a brilliant layout. Question on the above though how do you create those double headers? As to me one loco would run at a different speed than the other and I imagine the controller on one track would need twice as much power than normal anyway, my locos can’t be taken out of gear to be in effect a dummy. I’m sure I can find the info from a search but horses mouth and all that!

Cheers

Ade

Hi Ade

I have always run double headed trains, and multiple units in multiple with three power cars. Unless one is very low gear and the other high gear I find they balance each other out. You do sometimes notice the back engine is pushing the front one or the front one seems to be doing most the work, and that can be two locos of the same class from the same manufacturer. To date I have not had a controller that has not been able to cope. The biggest problem is if there is an electrical fault the lead loco hits it and stops but the back one carries on pushing.

Mike,

Cheers

Ade

Hi Ade,

I couldn't fail to notice all the input over the past couple of weeks, thanks for taking the time to wade through it all and hope you continue to enjoy the journey. I think Clive has answered your question the same as I would have done, if possible and it looks right I try to put the higher geared loco at the front so its 'pulling' rather than being pushed. I'm no electrical wizard but I presume the controller although powering at 12v increases the milliamps to compensate for the higher load of two motors, its also strange to find if you run two locos uncoupled on the same circuit their maximum speed is only marginally affected. 

Edit: to correct 

Edited by mike61680

Hi Mike.

I've spend the last few nights, once the engineers' T3 possession's have went on, reading through the thread for your layout and I have to say what you have achieved is truly commendable.

The level of detail with the scenic side of things and the traffic side are superb.

That's the good thing about the S&C. Right the way through from the steam era, 50's and 60's, BR Blue, Sectorisation to the current privatised nonsense the infrastructure hasn't really changed so in that regard is timeless!

It's given me the inspiration to push on with my own S&C layout based on a location further north - Long Meg Sidings. It's not going to be an exact replica but loosely based upon the Sidings. And set firmly in the diesel era!

A recent house move means I have a ready fitted out loft conversion to use to house it. (Cleaner and warmer than the loft in the previous flat we lived in though a much smaller area.) 

I will have to use a helix at each end to gain access to the fiddle yards, though having read your trials with them I might have to restrict my train lengths, but on the otherhand having read the thread for Everard Junction, the helii (plural of helix?) on that layout seemed to work alright.

Anyway, keep the pictures coming please!

Cheers

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the favourable comments. 

Long Meg Sidings eh! You will be hoping someone brings out the Anhydrate wagons soon then!!!

If you do use a helix system I would strongly recommend the Replica powered chassis units to assist with heavier trains as they are a very powerful bit of kit and well worth the money, both a 57ft and 64ft version are now available. I have badgered Replica for a powered Brake Van, CCT or similar so the seed has been well and truly sown.  

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the favourable comments. 

Long Meg Sidings eh! You will be hoping someone brings out the Anhydrate wagons soon then!!!

If you do use a helix system I would strongly recommend the Replica powered chassis units to assist with heavier trains as they are a very powerful bit of kit and well worth the money, both a 57ft and 64ft version are now available. I have badgered Replica for a powered Brake Van, CCT or similar so the seed has been well and truly sown.  

Thanks Mike for the recommendation regards using the helix system though reading through your thread it appears you had more problem with steam locos than with diesels. Could be that the more modern diesels have plenty of weight in them which gives more traction even in 4mm scale. I would think a Bachmann 47 with 7 on would climb the helix alright. What's you experience?

As to my proposed layout, I'm using Long Meg as a basis with a very liberal doze of modellers' licence!

I'll be moving the timeline and surmising the mine remained open far longer than it actually did.

Having done a bit of investigation anhydrite is ground down and dried out gypsum in powdered form so I'm going to use PCA wagons to transport it rather than hoppers.

The S&C wasn't starved of investment and still had plenty of various types of traffic running over it including the through expresses between St Pancras and Glasgow/Edinburgh, and some others too.

There will be some alteration to the types of signals used. Some of the mechanical main and ground signals will be changed to colour lights.(In addition to the two already there.) 

Operationally, it's going to be like I'm going back to my days in the wee mechanical boxes! Not that I really miss them truth be told!

I've done plenty planning. Now I need to get stuck in and actually build it!

• Like 1