• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike we are a small group of 11 guys based in and around Glasgow with a few members just outwith plus one in Ayrshire one in Perth and MadMcCann in Carlisle..they banished him for his extreme scot nat views!

Alongside Alloa we have under construction Larbert a 40ft scale representation of the station circa 1963 but I am sure your interest would be the eye wateringly good EM finescale layout by a certain member very well known to many on this site as it's based on the S&C complete with viaduct.

There's also an equally superb model of Edinburgh Princes St station being built privately from another of the 'broad gauge' guys amongst us.

We have a few things on the go which is fine except for one thing by the time we are ready to exhibit we will all be too auld and decrepit to humph the things around.

New young members needed I think.

Dave.

That's the need for most clubs ... we are all getting older and insufficient young blood is joining us.  This is a common problem with many clubs and charities throughout ... iPads etc. seem to be a major 'cause'.

That's the need for most clubs ... we are all getting older and insufficient young blood is joining us.  This is a common problem with many clubs and charities throughout ... iPads etc. seem to be a major 'cause'.

I saw somewhere on here that one Club had to cancel it's Annual Exhibitions due to lack of Members interest in helping.

Hi Dave,

It sounds as though you have a great group of guys there, as for your layouts what can I say apart from WoW! I have seen Alloa at several shows the last time being at Wigan and I can't tear myself away, fabulous layout. I look forward to seeing your groups creation of Larbert at some time, I can still see the departure boards at Buchanan St. featuring Larbert on the Aberdeen run with the A4's mainly in charge, happy memories there. Princes St. in 'O' gauge that has to be some size!

I have now found Larbert in layout topics and will be keeping a close eye on progress.

Keep up the good work Dave.

All the best.

Mike I think wow applies to your own layout too and all the more as it is a self build by the sound of it.

Princes St is indeed shaping up to be a superb layout but not in 7mm..its EM..the reference to Broad Gauge refers to the EM modellers in our group whom we refer to as the 'Broad Gauge guys'.

While we universally agree that EM is the better way to go we have so much stock between us in 16.5 including many kit built locos that it was decided that Larbert would follow Alloa in this respect.

All track is SMP and all points handbuilt including the fiddles and tbh when track is built to this standard the gauge becomes less obvious something which is borne out by the fact that we are often asked if Alloa is EM..compliments indeed.

It also made the MRJ so it must be ok!

Peter and Andrew yes you are spot on as regards needing younger blood into the hobby and for many groups its a real issue.

Pic off a couple off the guys at a demo earlier this year with work on Princes St in the foreground.

Caley box and buildings from Dewar Place all taking shape ..the baldy guy behind in his trademark check shirt gabbing away as usual will be known to many on here.

post-2371-0-35248500-1504628239_thumb.jpg

I saw somewhere on here that one Club had to cancel it's Annual Exhibitions due to lack of Members interest in helping.

Hi Andy,

I suspect its the Merseyside MRS you are thinking of. Having been a member for around 15 years I offered to take on the role of exhibition manager around 8 years ago, within 12 months I ended up doing that job plus; exhibition secretary and floor manager (with help from my mate John), followed by club chairman! all at the same time. I was then advised we needed a catering manager, so I well understand the lack of interest comment it was rife. I did all those roles for 3 years then decided enough was enough following an unrelated matter and left the club. To be honest I have not missed it and I most certainly would not have built Dent in the timescale I did or even started it! Your club seems to have the right mind-set as does the Alloa group and many others, when it works well it can be marvellous - when it does not..................

Mike I think wow applies to your own layout too and all the more as it is a self build by the sound of it.

Princes St is indeed shaping up to be a superb layout but not in 7mm..its EM..the reference to Broad Gauge refers to the EM modellers in our group whom we refer to as the 'Broad Gauge guys'.

While we universally agree that EM is the better way to go we have so much stock between us in 16.5 including many kit built locos that it was decided that Larbert would follow Alloa in this respect.

All track is SMP and all points handbuilt including the fiddles and tbh when track is built to this standard the gauge becomes less obvious something which is borne out by the fact that we are often asked if Alloa is EM..compliments indeed.

It also made the MRJ so it must be ok!

Peter and Andrew yes you are spot on as regards needing younger blood into the hobby and for many groups its a real issue.

Pic off a couple off the guys at a demo earlier this year with work on Princes St in the foreground.

Caley box and buildings from Dewar Place all taking shape ..the baldy guy behind in his trademark check shirt gabbing away as usual will be known to many on here.

attachicon.gifIMG_8741.jpg

Hi Dave,

'Must try harder' still applies to me after all these years - Broad gauge = 'EM' not 'O' Doh! :scared:

I also discounted EM when starting Dent due to stock levels and my probable lifespan available in attempting to convert a plethora of loco's and rolling stock, it was just a no brainer. Having modelled 16.5mm all my life I am quite content with the look and agree with your comment that hand built track looks much more correct than say Peco etc.

How is Larbert doing, I'm so exited!!!

Hi Mike,

Some dam good modelling there buddy keep up the good work.

What is the BR standard is it a kit or converted.

And are you going to Expo next weekend if so say hello again ( I will be weathering locos).

Mark

Hi Mark,

All sorted, will be at the show on the Saturday mate, best hide all those converted Black 5's.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

I suspect its the Merseyside MRS you are thinking of. Having been a member for around 15 years I offered to take on the role of exhibition manager around 8 years ago, within 12 months I ended up doing that job plus; exhibition secretary and floor manager (with help from my mate John), followed by club chairman! all at the same time. I was then advised we needed a catering manager, so I well understand the lack of interest comment it was rife. I did all those roles for 3 years then decided enough was enough following an unrelated matter and left the club. To be honest I have not missed it and I most certainly would not have built Dent in the timescale I did or even started it! Your club seems to have the right mind-set as does the Alloa group and many others, when it works well it can be marvellous - when it does not..................

:offtopic: Our Club is a little divided at the moment, with half wanting to go down the Charitable Incorporated Organisation Route and half forming a Ltd Company, and both sides arguing the point quite vigorously,

When it comes to our open weekends certain people just want to run Trains, NOT Hoover the Floor, get rid of the cobwebs, sort out Layouts, Do the advertising and Flyers, print and distribute them the advertising, Man the Door, etc, so Peter and I know where your coming from mate. To be fair, I don't do so much now, and Peter BB does about 95% of the paperwork

I'm glad you built Dent, it's given me so much inspiration for my make believe little effort.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Mike,

Looking forward to catching up.

I am a member of the heywood model railway group and I thought it was only our club that got the people who don't do there share of helping out.

We had one member who just sat there dictating that he could do a better job ( he can't even organise a wee up in a brewery )

Edited by mark axlecounter
  • Like 1

Dent is a brilliant layout and you have the satisfaction of knowing you designed it,built it ,run it and above all enjoy it in your own time and don't have to worry about anybody saying you cant do that or you cant run that loco .I was a member of a club for quite a while and organised a certain large exhibition for ten years with the help of a very good friend,sadly no longer with us but I just had enough and now have done my own thing for many years and enjoy myself dabbling in my shed.I like your videos I travelled on the line once and remember Dent as a windswept place as the train halted for a while perhaps you should create wind for an extra dimension ! Look forward to your next posting.  Chris

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just to let you all know my decision has been made and there will now be major alterations to the fiddleyard over the next month or two so don't expect pics of trains running (Andy! :no: 

The plans call for:

Removal of the spirals and fiddleyard.

Re-positioning the layout about 2ft further to the right to allow for an increased radius at the left hand side.

Re-positioning the fiddleyard in the adjoining garage section.

Creating new scenic approaches to both ends.

Forming a return run along the opposite wall to join the fiddleyard.

Forming new fiddleyard approach trackwork.

Rewiring as required.

Yesterday evening I press-ganged my mates John and Peter who came round expecting the usual natter, tea and cake and playing trains. Poor souls were only here 10 minutes before I broke out the tools - I know guys I'm slowing down :jester:

Anyway here are a couple of shots to show current state of play ..... or not as the case may be.

post-5296-0-36020100-1504984077_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-02607000-1504984084_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-91710200-1504984091_thumb.jpg

and a rough (very) reminder of the proposed changes.

Fiddleyard Alterations.pdf

• Like 7

I went to the Manchester Expo EM show today with my mate Peter, he was definitely impressed by the standard of modelling to be seen, I know what to expect and was not disappointed.

It was nice to catch up with Mark (Axlecounter) and Jason (Jason T) who were on the weathering and kit building demo's respectively. It was also a bonus to meet for the first time 'Leander' and his mate 'Schubert' - if my memory serves me correctly.

All in all its been a good day and I returned home to continue planning and preparing, updates will follow.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

hope the changes go together well. 

I have modified a lot of rolling stock for an EM layout. Some wagons are easy to do, others are absolutely horrendous. With the amount of stock I have and also the new layout we have at the club (Chapel en le Frith)  I will be staying OO for the foreseeable future.

Baz

Mike, If you can go Roundy Roundy again, it's far Better mate.

Hi Andy,

I never really run trains round and round apart from giving them a workout but I now have a rolling road for that and the trip from fiddleyard to fiddleyard will give a decent workout as it will be around 80ft travelled. I've given myself a workout the past few days moving things around and preparing the garage for some masonry modifications! WHERE'S JEFF WHEN YOU NEED HIM - HE LIKES BRICKS!

Hi Mike,

How is the alterations going. Both my caprotti black 5s are in steam ready ha ha

Hi Mark,

Things are moving slowly -like me I'm afraid, I am posting some pics now. 

PS. I have sent you a PM

• Like 2

Hi all,

Done a fair bit regarding the alterations during the week but sadly the photos do not do justice to my efforts!

post-5296-0-15541900-1505587502_thumb.jpg

Firstly, this was once a fairly tidy garage with a workbench along the right side. Everything has been removed and laminate flooring is shown being laid in readiness for the fiddleyard operator John (well he did volunteer.)

post-5296-0-44467300-1505587507_thumb.jpg

The whole scenic assembly has been lowered by 3" and moved to the right by 18". The section of track shows the approach radius to the new fiddleyard.

post-5296-0-73311200-1505587511_thumb.jpg

The rear garage wall now has a wider opening!

post-5296-0-49507000-1505587516_thumb.jpg

At the left hand side of the scenic section you can see how far the boards have moved along from the upright, this is providing at least 5ft to form a radius for the fiddleyard return route.

post-5296-0-98879500-1505587520_thumb.jpg

The backscene will need re-positioning and will hopefully prevent the shadow cast over the top 3" by the shelf seen in many previous pics.

That's it for now, not a lot to see but trust me a lot has been done!

• Like 5