Hi all,

Thanks for the comments above. I will be having visitors on Friday evening so should have a chance to take a few photos to keep you all happy and apparently inspired! :jester:

Been working on several projects at the same time which all have their own problems in getting so far then realising I need more or different materials to what I have in stock which then leads to a delay in getting something finished with which to show you all, dam*ed inconvenient or what eh!

Last night I ran out of ground cover brown for my Fells so can't lay any more 'GRASS'

Almost finished the Bothy now so that should be featured very soon

Some styrene section has now arrived so the station building can progress further probably next week

Plenty of other projects on the go so keep looking in!

• Like 6

Morning Mike,

Fantastic workmanship as usual - don't know how you manage all the modelling as well as fitting in remunerative work! Love the 8F shots and look forward to Friday's efforts. I hope your lucky visitors enjoy 'playing trains!'

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi all,

Thought I would show the state of play regarding the Fells

post-5296-0-92859400-1416516897.jpg

It looks like winter has come early to Dent as a north wind has blown a snowdrift in over Widdale Fell.................Erm, not really its just Mod-Roc!

post-5296-0-65472000-1416516942.jpg

The same view following a coat of ground cover brown 

post-5296-0-84754500-1416516881.jpg

At the other end the approach to Rise Hill Tunnel with the new Fell' area sat on top.

post-5296-0-79043800-1416516926.jpg

The same view with the tunnelmouth weathered (at last) and the Fell covered

post-5296-0-30153600-1416516916.jpg

Rise Hill Tunnel is now pretty well secluded amid the overburdening Fell'

post-5296-0-92609000-1416516966.jpg

A distance shot for comparison

post-5296-0-07841400-1416516955.jpg

This is more or less the finished condition of the station building walls.

Having visitors tomorrow so there should be several pictures to look at over the weekend. 

• Like 18

Hi all,

Thought I would show the state of play regarding the Fells . . . . . .

. . . . . . Having visitors tomorrow so there should be several pictures to look at over the weekend. 

Awesome!

I love Dent and its surroundings.  I'm following this build with interest.

William

Hi Mike, like the look on the Fell and it will look great once covered in the Green stuff, will there be walls on it later, or just Moreland.

Hi Andy,

Cheers mate, the Fells' will have a wall or two just to give them some perspective and I will need one along the main joint to disguise it as the Fells' may need to be easily removed I need a loose fitting for ease of lifting out. I can say that insulation board is quite heavy when stacked three deep!

Bitton is looking good mate, the research is coming along nicely and its such a different perspective to making something up out of your head, keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Cheers mate, the Fells' will have a wall or two just to give them some perspective and I will need one along the main joint to disguise it as the Fells' may need to be easily removed I need a loose fitting for ease of lifting out. I can say that insulation board is quite heavy when stacked three deep!

Bitton is looking good mate, the research is coming along nicely and its such a different perspective to making something up out of your head, keep up the good work.

Will you be doing some walls in 3mm and the distant ones in 2mm?

• Like 2

Wow!

Fantastic work there mate

Definatley a future magazine feature when its finished!

Love how youve made the brick road bridge,ive got one quite similar to make for my own layout in brickwork with three arches.

Not looking forward to it really as the last bridge i made using a plywood shell then stone plasticard took me ages.

Keep the pics coming

Will you be doing some walls in 3mm and the distant ones in 2mm?

I'll be using the same walls as on the main layout which are of larger stones in the foreground and smaller ones on the other side of the line again for perspective.

Wow!

Fantastic work there mate

Definatley a future magazine feature when its finished!

Love how youve made the brick road bridge,ive got one quite similar to make for my own layout in brickwork with three arches.

Not looking forward to it really as the last bridge i made using a plywood shell then stone plasticard took me ages.

Keep the pics coming

Hi Ben,

Cheers mate, but which magazine that's the question! Haha

Did you go back to the bridge making pages which start at page 152 to see its construction, it may help you.

Hi all,

As promised here are some gallery shots from last night. My friend Keith brought along some LIMA loco's which surprisingly traversed the circuit on this finescale track, I have just offloaded some of mine as they would not!

post-5296-0-18424200-1416680505.jpg

A brace of Class 20's; 20028 and 20205 have been set back into the refuge to await a path

post-5296-0-13442700-1416680514.jpg

Both loco's have bufferbeam detailing which sadly prevented them from being coupled to a train

post-5296-0-37010600-1416680522.jpg

English Electric Class 40; 40141 heads a Glasgow-Nottingham express and thunders through Dent. Although a rather timeless location certain items do cause you to have a second look such as the yard crane and the Scammell Scarab which I doubt would ever have made it up the hill so I think that needs replacing with something more appropriate!

post-5296-0-04410600-1416680532.jpg

The Class 40 vibrates the crews mugs of tea on the hotplate of the 20, it may WAKE them up also! (edit for typo)

post-5296-0-28639400-1416680541.jpg

I have always had a soft spot for the 40's which I remember (in green livery) sitting at the head of 'The Royal Scot' in either Platform 1 or 2 at Glasgow Central. 

post-5296-0-59313200-1416680556.jpg

post-5296-0-33002900-1416680565.jpg

Just a couple more of the 40 running through the platforms

A good night was had by all and it was back to working on the layout today.

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 12

Hi all,

As promised here are some gallery shots from last night. My friend Keith brought along some LIMA loco's which surprisingly traversed the circuit on this finescale track, I have just offloaded some of mine as they would not!

attachicon.gif2008-11-27 20.33.04.jpg

A brace of Class 20's; 20028 and 20205 have been set back into the refuge to await a path

attachicon.gif2008-11-27 20.33.20.jpg

Both loco's have bufferbeam detailing which sadly prevented them from being coupled to a train

attachicon.gif2008-11-27 21.21.58.jpg

English Electric Class 40; 40141 heads a Glasgow-Nottingham express and thunders through Dent. Although a rather timeless location certain items do cause you to have a second look such as the yard crane and the Scammell Scarab which I doubt would ever have made it up the hill so I think that needs replacing with something more appropriate!

attachicon.gif2008-11-27 21.24.38.jpg

The Class 40 vibrates the crews mugs of tea on the hotplate of the 20, it may WAKE them up also! (edit for typo)

attachicon.gif2008-11-27 21.28.04.jpg

I have always had a soft spot for the 40's which I remember (in green livery) sitting at the head of 'The Royal Scot' in either Platform 1 or 2 at Glasgow Central. 

attachicon.gif2008-11-28 16.02.44.jpg

attachicon.gif2008-11-28 16.03.27.jpg

Just a couple more of the 40 running through the platforms

A good night was had by all and it was back to working on the layout today.

Thanks Mike, I really cant wait now to get seriously started, your track and scenic's just flow, irrespective of the period and stock, some more inspiration if you will kind Sir, almost anything will do please.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, I really cant wait now to get seriously started, your track and scenic's just flow, irrespective of the period and stock, some more inspiration if you will kind Sir, almost anything will do please.

Hi Andy,

Anything to please good sir! While I let my dinner settle that is hahaha.

post-5296-0-19848400-1416747138.jpg

BR 2500hp Sulzer 1Co-Co1 No D67 'The Royal Artilleryman' powers the 1M88 'Thames-Clyde Express' on the last leg of its journey before it is changed at Leeds and the direction of the train reversed.

post-5296-0-52815900-1416747145.jpg

The TCE crossing Monkey Beck

post-5296-0-13343100-1416747155.jpg

2P 4-4-0 No 40604 is slowing for one of the infrequent stops at Dent station with a Hellifield-Garsdale stopper with a van in tow.

post-5296-0-08833900-1416747165.jpg

The two extreme levels of passenger service pass each other just outside the station limits

post-5296-0-74229700-1416747172.jpg

The 2P is patiently awaiting any out of breath would be passengers who have slogged it up the notorious 1:5 hill from Dent village

post-5296-0-24142900-1416747183.jpg

BR 1250hp Sulzer type 2's D5233 & D5237 are clear of the dark depths of Widdale tunnel and emerge into Dentdale over Widdale viaduct with a heavy northbound oil working. The Brake Tender has been positioned in the refuge should the load warrant its attachment.

post-5296-0-05951800-1416747192.jpg

In this case the load is not over the required limit and the Type 2's can handle it with ease.

post-5296-0-12921200-1416747200.jpg

post-5296-0-76067200-1416747207.jpg

The oil working progresses comfortably through Dent station heading for Carlisle Kingmoor Yard and pastures north.

That's it, enough inspiration for now, get some grass down!

• Like 17

Hi Mike,

I like the blue period shots but absolutely LOVE the green period shots, a much more attractive diesel livery (imho) and you can have steam alongside too!

Lovely stuff!

John.

Hi John,

One hundred percent with you on that mate. I started on the railway back in those green days but the daily sight of a BLUE something or other soon had me becoming 'blue' myself. I can look back those times now with rose tinted specs and I don't mind it so much but my undying loyalty is to the period of late crest steam and early diesels, especially the pilot cr*p stuff. Only problem modelling a real place is the limitations of operation e.g. Merchant Navy's or Western hydraulics etc. would never be seen over Dent 'normally' and yes its 'my' layout and I have the choice but having tried it it just does not sit right in my minds eye I'm afraid.

Big changes during next week to come....!!!??? And no Andy I'm not modelling Waterloo or Exeter!

• Like 4

Hi John,

One hundred percent with you on that mate. I started on the railway back in those green days but the daily sight of a BLUE something or other soon had me becoming 'blue' myself. I can look back those times now with rose tinted specs and I don't mind it so much but my undying loyalty is to the period of late crest steam and early diesels, especially the pilot cr*p stuff. Only problem modelling a real place is the limitations of operation e.g. Merchant Navy's or Western hydraulics etc. would never be seen over Dent 'normally' and yes its 'my' layout and I have the choice but having tried it it just does not sit right in my minds eye I'm afraid.

Big changes during next week to come....!!!??? And no Andy I'm not modelling Waterloo or Exeter!

It must be the Bitton Link with the S & D instead of the S & C, hhahahhahhaa then you can legitimately run your Bulleids and Westerns, Kings and Castles if you like.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

One hundred percent with you on that mate. I started on the railway back in those green days but the daily sight of a BLUE something or other soon had me becoming 'blue' myself. I can look back those times now with rose tinted specs and I don't mind it so much but my undying loyalty is to the period of late crest steam and early diesels, especially the pilot cr*p stuff.

Hi Mike

More great photos... especially the blue 40 in the earlier shots and the 2P pulling into the platform on the all stations stopper.

Re the Merchant Navy - a bit early for Dent, - did one run over the line during the post nationalisation exchange trials? 

I'm a fan of anything in blue through to the end of the BR sectors... it's what I remember before privatisation took hold.

However I do like 1966-68 end of steam/green diesel period. Run down, dirty steam locos, rakes of maroon stock with blue and grey coaches starting to appear, and the wide variety of diesel classes to be seen.

Suprising how many people don't like the blue era, thinking it's boring with everything the same colour. I've always thought the rebranding of the corporate image worked well for the 60s and 70s. Large logo, Intercity, NSE, Railfreight  etc were all  positive developments for the 80s and 90s. Definitely better than the multi-coloured branding and constant re-branding that goes on today.

Alan

• Like 2

The BR Green diesel photos are terrific!  I have always wanted to make a model of Dent, but with lack of space this thread, with your great pictures, shall have to suffice.

By the way, where did you get the diesel brake tender - is it the Hornby Magazine commissioned model or a kit?

Thanks,

William

Hi Mike

More great photos... especially the blue 40 in the earlier shots and the 2P pulling into the platform on the all stations stopper.

Re the Merchant Navy - a bit early for Dent, - did one run over the line during the post nationalisation exchange trials? 

I'm a fan of anything in blue through to the end of the BR sectors... it's what I remember before privatisation took hold.

However I do like 1966-68 end of steam/green diesel period. Run down, dirty steam locos, rakes of maroon stock with blue and grey coaches starting to appear, and the wide variety of diesel classes to be seen.

Suprising how many people don't like the blue era, thinking it's boring with everything the same colour. I've always thought the rebranding of the corporate image worked well for the 60s and 70s. Large logo, Intercity, NSE, Railfreight  etc were all  positive developments for the 80s and 90s. Definitely better than the multi-coloured branding and constant re-branding that goes on today.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes I am sure I have seen a photo of a MN over the S&C in BR days, not sure if it was the exchanges or one of the end of steam specials though.

I did quite like the introduction of blue and the modernisation at the time with 25kv loco's and the introduction of the 50's especially and then TOPS coding but then it just became too sterile for me. I did take a bit more interest in the 90's sectorisation but the current scene does little for me I'm afraid.

• Like 1

The BR Green diesel photos are terrific!  I have always wanted to make a model of Dent, but with lack of space this thread, with your great pictures, shall have to suffice.

By the way, where did you get the diesel brake tender - is it the Hornby Magazine commissioned model or a kit?

Thanks,

William

Hi William.

Dent has bugged me for decades! Every time I built a new model Dent would raise its head in the planning stages but I always wanted plenty of track and points - why? Who knows.

The brake tender is a Genesis kit which I only built about a year ago and have another one to make! Typical for me a RTR version is now in the production stages.