RMweb

Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

If the drive problem is due to the inter axle gears, why not try the model as a single axle drive by taking them out?  The model only needs to propel itself so it may well work.  Both my No 8 and No 11 work perfectly well with Zimo MX634 decoders.

Swiftbeam,

In your photo of the dis-assembled gear tower in post #572, there is no bearing at the left end of the drive shaft adjacent to the worm gear.

Was there one and it is just missing from the photo?

Wacol

This may be nothing, but grasping on straws about the bad runner, but removing one set of gears to the wheels and it not pulling at 50% is very odd indeed as the total power should be evenly split in simple terms.

But it does suggest a possible source for so called hunting, in that the bogie must be free to pivot in all directions, about the pivot point and to be able to rock freely both fore and art, and sideways. This allows all four wheels to remain in contact with the track.

But if the pivot is restricted in any way, say by wiring or retention screws it maybe the load varies as the drive rotates, pushing down on one pair and then the other and because of the difference in transmission power, they hunt or rhythmically vibrate.

Check the pivot carefully and make sure the wiring restricts nothing.

Stephen

One axle drive didn’t work on my model and the bogie was totally free to move in all directions. Stephen, Please can you test your model on one axle drive and check your power bogie, I'm sure we'd all like to know if that fixes your model. Thanks :-)

Edited by swiftbeam

• RMweb Gold

Found this website on the net, shows the Railcar inside about 1/3 down the page :-)

http://blog.nrm.org.uk/moonraking/

Most sensible place to put a buffet I've ever seen, tea can be supplied to the driver as required, at least in one direction.

So this is railcar 4, the only survivor of the streamline cars. Were the others in the 1 to 16 series identical inside apart from the buffet (and presumably toilet) fitted to 2-4 and the toilet in 10-12?

Edited by Andy W

I think that there were considerable smaller detail differences between the various lots Andy. Things like external driver access, floor and seat coverings [and patterns], interior lighting and luggage racks, the layout of driving cabs and, of course the number of seats fitted.

Tony

Edited by Prometheus

No

To be pedantic :-

No 1 was built with a lower front end and had a bus type interior with 69 seats.  Also, the only one with a single engine.

Nos 2 - 4 kept the low front end, and had a buffet counter, two toilets and about 43 seats (?).

Nos 5 - 16 had a different shaped front end, and the exterior doors switched from swing to sliding.  The interiors were similar within the series, but nos 10-12 had a toilet in place of a bay of seats (not in the same position as the buffet cars).  Nos 5 - 7 might be different as they were built in a different lot, but as far as I am concerned, the differences are a known unknown.

That's all I can think of until someone contradicts me.

Tom

It really seems that seats colour remains an unknown on the early railcars, except for the NRM example which they admit is not original material, but changed over the years many times.

Most coach fleets had various colours, far more than the railways, where the seat colour indicated class of travel.

Was the G W R blue for first, red for second class?...... In many ways the railcars were classless, and the Board may have wanted a selection of colours and patterns on the basis of brightening the stock up a bit. They after all considered them as ultra modern in the 1930's. The main consideration with mouchette cloth seats was durability and the London bus seats, (and Underground seats) ability to absorb dirt into the chair backing, keeping the seats cleaner than with Rexine.

The cabs fronts styling is distinctly from the Aero designs, and bears a close match in outline to the De Havilland Rapide Air liner biplane, from the 1930's.

post-6750-0-83631200-1510588050.jpg

On the model seats, to get the complex pattern right it could be done on the computer and then scaled to size or a touch bigger, the seat painted white or cream, and make transfers  from the transparent transfer kits for inkjet and laser printers. The soft nature of the transfer should wrap around the seat shape quite well.

I 'll be doing the interior over the next couple of weeks or so.

Stephen.

The main consideration with mouchette cloth seats was durability and the London bus seats, (and Underground seats) ability to absorb dirt into the chair backing, keeping the seats cleaner than with Rexine.

I think you mean moquette. At least, that's how LT seems to have spelt it...

I think you mean moquette. At least, that's how LT seems to have spelt it...

So Bertiedog gives us some really interesting information, and you are getting pedantic over spelling.

However you spell it, I'm grateful for the information.

Thank you Bertiedog :-)

Edited by swiftbeam

So Bertiedog gives us some really interesting information, and you are getting pedantic over spelling.

There wasn't that much 'information' as you put it, really it was his observations and ideas.

If anyone didn't have a clue what was meant by 'mouchette', spelling it correctly would at least give them a chance of looking it up!

Edited by Coppercap

It really seems that seats colour remains an unknown on the early railcars, except for the NRM example which they admit is not original material, but changed over the years many times.

Most coach fleets had various colours, far more than the railways, where the seat colour indicated class of travel.

Was the G W R blue for first, red for second class?...... In many ways the railcars were classless, and the Board may have wanted a selection of colours and patterns on the basis of brightening the stock up a bit. They after all considered them as ultra modern in the 1930's. The main consideration with mouchette cloth seats was durability and the London bus seats, (and Underground seats) ability to absorb dirt into the chair backing, keeping the seats cleaner than with Rexine.

The cabs fronts styling is distinctly from the Aero designs, and bears a close match in outline to the De Havilland Rapide Air liner biplane, from the 1930's.

attachicon.gifUntitled 1.jpg

DH Rapide: That is exactly what I thought when I posted the large photo of the front end with the small access door open, a couple of pages back.

My favorite aeroplane, too!

Tony

Edited by Prometheus

There wasn't that much 'information' as you put it, really it was his observations and ideas.

If anyone didn't have a clue what was meant by 'mouchette', spelling it correctly would at least give them a chance of looking it up!

Fair enough, my mistake, sorry for calling you "pedantic". 

I have tried to induce the hunting but cannot get any on DC or a Lenz chip on DC or DCC. This is over the full range of speeds.,and with several quite different controllers.

It.seems very very odd that others get troubles with two or three examples, indicating the motor etc., must not suit the control system they have in use.

For it to be the same on DC and DCC is unfathomable, unless a mechanical problem.

The nature of the pickups should not make any difference, but with DCC the plug and suppressors might well be working to affect control. But it cannot affect DC unless a full feed back controller is in operation. Generally the frequency of the feedback is higher than DC. Also the clash in frequency will just cause noise, not hunting at the speeds involved.

A change of motor should not affect anything, the motor is standard in every way. It draws normal current at all speeds.

The conclusion is still a clash with suppression used, but how does this affect DC?

It is interesting the lights flash in time with the motor glitch, indicating an electrical issue, not mechanical problem, and with DCC it must be curable with the CV's, or shutting off feedback.

I still fail to see how it can be on three units without being a control issue, and curable.

Stephen

Thanks for posting this Stephen.  Showed me where my problem was. I had these hunting problems at slow speed with my railcar until I turned the feedback off on my controller - now runs beautifully from  crawl up to scale 80mph.  Only problem I now have is that I have to remember to turn feedback back on when running the Dukedog and a few others heavily loaded as they don't perform very well without the feedback...............

Has anyone received and run a factory fitted DCC version yet? I see the GWR livery versions are now shown as in stock on a certain box shifters site. I am curious to know if these versions exhibit the same 'hunting' that has been experienced by some of the previous posters

Norm