Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

After the initial confusion was sorted, I think Dapol settled for cars 8-16 which are the largest batch from the original streamlined series that are the same. Cars 10-12 are slightly different in having toilets fitted but hopefully this could be hidden behind frosted glazing or blinds. Checking my copy of Judge, I think that 10-12 has the same bodyshells and window arrangement as the rest of that batch, the toilet was an internal difference.

Of course 7 is different being from a slightly earlier batch. Although 5-7 were similar to the ones that followed (much more so than they were to the Park Royal bodied cars 2-4) there were still some differences.

Edited by Karhedron

Nice shots. I think that there is something not-quite-right about the streamlining beneath the cabside windows. The curvature is wrong and it is too pointed. It should be more rounded as can be seen in this photo below.

c0165.jpg

Whatever the ins and outs of the Dapol model so far, that is a beautiful shot of W10 Karhedron... can't work out where it was taken though, any info please...?

And while we're at it, look at the ingrained filth on the roof....

• Like 2

Whatever the ins and outs of the Dapol model so far, that is a beautiful shot of W10 Karhedron... can't work out where it was taken though, any info please...?

Not 100% sure. The original site said Swansea. I cannot find other shots from the same angle to confirm though. If true, that would be away from the normal stomping grounds for these units.

Edited by Karhedron

To my eye the curve of the nose  is not right for either 1-4 or 5-16 and falls somewhere between the two. It will be a difficult one because there is nothing to scan as none of the 'GRCW' cars survive. Trying to modify a scan of No. 1 will be worse than hopeless as they aren't remotely alike. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

Interesting bit of GWR publicity about streamlined railcar services here:

http://warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt2998.htm

http://warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt2999.htm

Keith

EDIT and a rather forlorn shot of No.13 in 1960 at the end of it's days along with a couple of others

http://warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt2367.htm

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

Interesting. The date given is 1951. The 6 Bells Junction website doesn't list any Railcars going to Swansea on Railtour duty in that year. W10 was normally based at Oxford for the Oxford - Worcester run. I wonder what it was doing in south Wales?

• RMweb Gold

Not 100% sure. The original site said Swansea. I cannot find other shots from the same angle to confirm though. If true, that would be away from the normal stomping grounds for these units.

Ah, spot on - yes it is indeed Swansea High St - just didn't occur to me for a railcar  :blush:  :blush:   

(And don't tell anyone but the door to what would have been my office when I was there for a brief while at the back end of 1973 has been very skilfully hidden by the carefully placed railcar.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It appears that nine railcars were based in South Wales at the time of Nationalisation.

Looking at the Michael Clemens Railways site I found this timetable for 1949-50 which has diesel services shown from Swansea High St to Carmarthen, Pembury, Porthcawl, Port Talbot, Cardiff, Newport, Gloucester and Cheltenham.

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=594

The services are shown at the end of part B and beginning of part c of the pdf files.

From the Dapol website:

4D-011-000 Streamlined  Railcar No 7 Chocolate & Cream GWR Monogram

4D-011-001 Streamlined Railcar No 12 Chocolate & Cream GWR Monogram

4D-011-002 Streamlined Railcar BR Lined Chocolate & Cream W10

4D-011-003 Streamlined Railcar BR Lined Carmine & Cream W14

These are all from what may be termed 'the main production series'.  The examples selected are the most representative of the streamlined AEC railcars (No.s 5 to 16). No.17 (parcels car) was builtt o the same profile.

[No.1 to No.4 were not to this design]. 

No.18 was a a one-off design for a branch railcar (but very attractive).

[The 'angular' version (modelled by Lima/Hornby) were the cars from No.19 upwards, and went into service in 1941.  They included another parcels car - No.34, and a couple of twin units.]

• RMweb Premium

These are all from what may be termed 'the main production series'.  The examples selected are the most representative of the streamlined AEC railcars (No.s 5 to 16). No.17 (parcels car) was builtt o the same profile.

The end of 17 can be seen next to No.13 (at Tyseley) in the link I gave in post no. 158

I remember the DRCs well from my youth when trips to a caravan near the railway just north of Bewdley would afford frequent passage of various of them on the adjacent SVR (still part of BR!) Red, Red & Cream and later Green with speed stripes.

Also regulars at Snow Hill.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A different Dapol thread on here suggests there is to be an update on all products being developed. As the last website update was June 2013 that would be welcome. It would also be useful to understand the liveries as some box shifters (but not all) say there are to be three GWR versions wuth three different numbered railcars and liveries. The website only says two. I'm not interested in BR liveries but there may be expansion there too.

Anyhow, despite my ramblings, has anyone seen the update as not on the website or FB as far as I can see.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, spot on - yes it is indeed Swansea High St - just didn't occur to me for a railcar  :blush:  :blush:   

(And don't tell anyone but the door to what would have been my office when I was there for a brief while at the back end of 1973 has been very skilfully hidden by the carefully placed railcar.)

I think that looks like a railtour special.

But the second photo is almost as odd: A 56xx with Bulleid stock. Presumably a station pilot bringing in empty stock but for a train to where? Or perhaps another railtour visiting branchlines in the area?

• RMweb Gold

I think that looks like a railtour special.

But the second photo is almost as odd: A 56xx with Bulleid stock. Presumably a station pilot bringing in empty stock but for a train to where? Or perhaps another railtour visiting branchlines in the area?

See post #161 above re the use of GWR railcars in South Wales in the post-war years.

As far as the Bulleid is concerned, around the time of the picture there was a Bournemouth - Swansea SO which was formed of SR and WR stock. It returned the following Saturday on a Llanelli - Bournemouth train, so some SR stock would be lurking around the Swansea area for the intervening week.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this was an interesting post by the Dapol administrator on the Dapol Digest when asked a direct question about the possibility of a parcels version. Can't wait for these to appear but No 17 really would be magnificent. Don't wait too long Dapol, you have a definite order here!

Richard Dapol

#8.1

Richard Dapol commented

5 days ago

Hi, Yes we are considering making no. 17 at a later date, as you rightly say new side slides will be required. Also new interior, glazing and roof modifications will be tooled.

• RMweb Gold

The Dapol Digest does include 3 different GWR liveries and one BR.  It has also been stated that the tail lamps will be removable and not part of the body moulding although it is not clear how they will be fixed to the body.  

One of the GWR livery options comes without the tail lamp so it represents a very narrow time band - carrying the running number 11 it can barely have managed a year in traffic before oil tail lamps became compulsory on the railcars.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• 2 months later...

Two recent posts on Dapol Digest that may be of interest to those that haven't seen them:

From a week ago: "The samples have arrived and there are a few changes needed" - I guess this is the decorated samples.

And from yesterday:

"We are just finalising the lighting for these railcars. We intend to have the following lights working.
Directional - forward front three lights showing white and one red on rear.
Cab lighting directional
Function key for interior lights in DCC
Would appreciate comments in regard to prototypical operations"

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/gwr-railcar/project-managers-blog-ae/474-oo-gwr-railcar-opening-post

Edited by Oil-burner

I hope the directional lighting doesn't result in over-scale un-prototypical wires protruding from the body work like it does on their proposed hi-grade A4 locos. For me, this would be an unnecessary gimmick that could potentially ruin the look of the railcar. Yes it could be removed, but filling the hole and touching up the paintwork would probably compromise the finish of the model. 

I see from another thread there was a Dapol Open Day yesterday. There has been discussion on the railcar lights recently but a decorated sample was expected a few months ago - June I think. Is there anything anyone can share please as many cant get to the open day. Photos would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

I see from another thread there was a Dapol Open Day yesterday. There has been discussion on the railcar lights recently but a decorated sample was expected a few months ago - June I think. Is there anything anyone can share please as many cant get to the open day. Photos would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.facebook.com/TheModelRailwayClub/photos/pb.511444672214688.-2207520000.1475839390./1529592697066542/?type=3&theater